1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey should aggressively pursue a 3rd star: Because Harden/Howard aren't Lebron or Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 18, 2013.

1. PatBeverleyFan

2014-2015

Lin
    Casspi
    Lebron
    T-Jones
    Howard

New age baby!

2. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

Things are different under the new CBA.

In my opinion, two Max players will soon become the norm instead of three, with another fringe all star type player and good contracts/valuable role players. Big threes Are just going to be too expensive.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think Harden and Howard have to be Lebron or Durant.

The Harden/Howard duo have something the Heat and Thunder don't have, fit. Howard and Harden fit better together than any other star combo in the league. It's almost video game-like because neither guy has to sacrifice their game for the other. They perfectly fit each other's strengths and weakness.

That Spurs Finals defense would fall apart within seconds of a Harden/Howard defense.

4. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Seriously?
    Even LOH agreed Lin can score 20 to 30 pts a game if he is the primary scorer. Its his defense and TO that causes concern. He averaged what he was because he is the third or fourth option. But if the other team clamps down on DH and Harden, Lin can provide the necessary scoring load, yes, Parsons too.

5. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Too much fantasy basketball or video game.

6. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Yeah Morey knew it as well and went on to draft Royce White. He will be our third star when he punches Lebron during the final game of the regular season, making him miss the entire playoffs

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The spurs are pretty good at 5 position. Furthermore Green was playing out of his mind.

I think the rockets can get to the finals with their current team. It would be nice if we could get a big 3.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hedo and Rashard were huge that year. They suck know, but they were destroying the Cavs. Lebron average 38-8-8 that year and he was pretty much outplayed Howard from a production stand point. The Cavs role players sucked that year.

9. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Wooow. I guess being top 5 in scoring does not put you in the same league as Lebron or Durant. Or being the best player at your position. Or even Hardens age. People are so picky now days.

No but id love to have a 3rd.

10. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

I agree here. We've seen Dwight put a team on his back in 09. And harden is better than turkoglu or Lewis combined....obviously 3 stars are ideal..but solid role players are the real key IMO.

11. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think we can win with 2 of the best at their position and solid to great role players. Our bench is arguably better then miamis, depending on the deeloopment of our young PFs and our shooters.

12. jwayne

jwayne Member

All of this "you gotta have a 3rd star to win a championship" crap started because Boston and Miami have 3 stars. I am not sure how much of a "STAR" Bosh is... Hes a good role player in my eyes. This 3rd star stuff is overblown.

13. liveguy

liveguy Member

I heard Matt Jackson this morning talking about

trade: Parsons, Asik and some fodder for LMA

Any deal involving Parsons to get Love or LMA is just r****ded, imo.

Parsons on this team plus allowing Jones or Motie duke it out for the start at PF would be much more ideal.....and cheaper.

If Parsons has to be in a deal for LMA......HELL NO to that.

Would rather have a disgruntled Asik AND keep Parsons with Jones or Motie at PF than have LMA.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think the Rockets have to give up Parsons to get LMA.

I don't think Parsons is "untouchable" but from all accounts he seems pretty entrenched with the team right now and it would take a lot to pry him loose.

LMA is a UFA in 2015 and every day that gets close to then he becomes more available, especially if LMA does NOT intend to re-sign with Portland.

At some point the Blazers have to maximize LMA's trade value. That might be at the trade deadline.

15. bbc_nico5

bbc_nico5 Member

why he gotta be white??? lol

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

At least the Rockets get asterisks from some people. The Mavs' title just never happened apparently.

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

I kind of see what you're saying. I think Harden/Howard have the potential to elevate to that level, but right now, I can partially agree with you're notion.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good catch. I take for granted that Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion were not all-stars that year. It's a little different than what Lebron did though as Kidd was an all-star the year before, Jason Terry had won the sixth man award in the past few years and Shawn Marion was still a very productive former all-star.

19. sefril

sefril Member

this, this, and triple this..

if we have only two superstars? no problem, Mewree will find role players that we need..

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Fortunately, LeBron and Kevin do not play on the same team; James and Dwight do. The Rockets are going to be scary good. Lin will be the most improved player from last year. Watch and see. Beverly is solid. We have great young players like DMo (will be much better) and T. Jones (already better from reports). Along with Parsons and a stable of veteran sharpshooters, wow. The X factor is Asik who impressed the heck out of me last year. At times, he put Yao like numbers. I say we trade him for LMA. Then we are set, to terrorize the West.