1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why McHale is a very good coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

But this isn't about firing McHale, so that wouldn't make any sense.

I agree with the OP that McHale did a good job his first two seasons. It does seem like the team is unified and that they have respect for McHale, which I think is very important. I think the best coaches understand that coaching in the NBA is as much about managing people and egos, as it is about X's an O's. I think that is why Rudy was a good coach when he was with the Rockets.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So what you are saying is the Popovich is overrated and clearly not as good as some think?

I'm just trying to get a handle on your theory on coaches.

3. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

So many teams are tanking this year and a lot of really good experienced coaches are sitting out and many first-time rookie head coaches are getting a shot.

If McHale doesn't get a top 4 seed or the team doesn't make it to the 2nd round, his job is in jeopardy. I don't think he'll be gone before the season is over because that requires a losing streak and there are too many bad teams out there this year and I doubt we'll have any significant losing streak.

McHale is a player's coach and good at development (the reason he was brought in) but he is bad strategically and in-game. This is not the type of coach for a contender. Let's see how quickly he can pick up his game.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Good post. Nice to see some support/positivity for a change.

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

there are some coaches that can coach up any team over a period of time

i dont think mchale is one of those coaches.. that can succeed with middling talent. pop got lucky with his team (as is mchale right now) but lets face it he could coach almost any team and make a significant impact. hes just a great traditional coach that gets on his players and demands the best. mchale is a bit different. as we've heard of before, he gets along with the players on a different level, as though he was a teammate of theirs.

im just saying mchale, at this time, with this team, is working. great cast that is hiding his faults as a coach, and they're all learning together. just a good time for everyone really.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale doesn't clash with Morey - he does what Morey wants. And that's huge. A guy like JVG or RA is going to want to implement their own systems.

Frankly I think someone like JVG could get more out of these guys, but McHale is doing an adequate job and probably will become a better coach with time.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also remember hearing during the broadcast last night (while the Rockets ball movement was getting really sticky and Harden was doing the ISO thing) that McHale ripped into Harden on the bench. Harden started passing the ball more and the offense got kickstarted again. After the game I saw the two smile and give each other a friendly bump. Looks like he's the type of guy who commands the respect of the guys while being able to tell them they're in the wrong when he needs to.

1 person likes this.
  8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

and at the end of the day, its about the coach getting the best out of his own players.

so if mchale would fail with another team, but somehow succeed and synergize with this squad, then so be it. he will be a HOF coach in that case.

at the end of the day its the players that end up making the coach. Who knows what phil jackson would've been without MJ, kobe, and shaq? Maybe McHale can be this team's 'zen master'

a good fit is the only thing that counts at the end of the day

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree with the OP.

Simple winning formula-

-Great core players
    +Great complementary players who make core better
    +System offensively & defensively that complement your star players
    +Coaching staff that supports that system & knows how to coach that system
    +Coaching staff that the players respect and buy into so they can execute effectively

=wins

McHale might not be the greatest X's and O's basketball mind in the world, but there is no doubt that him and his team can coach this particular group in this particular system very, very well.

You can take a much better X's and O's coach and put him as the head coach and he could very well have much less success overall without the buy in of the locker room, and he might very well impose a different system that does not complement the players skill sets effectively.

McHale stays for now, and he works as the coach for this team moving forward until we see what kind of success they can have, or don't have when it matters. If they bomb out in the playoffs, or the players have issues with him later on, they have this Summer to make any adjustments they need to with the coaching staff. Right now, the criticism is extremely unfair, and he has my support as a fan.

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree that he was brought here initially for player development, which he did. that's how we flipped young assets for the team we have now (harden&howard) he really has done a great job with parsons and even inserted him into the starting spot above bud and our lottery pick who played his position that year.

What I don't agree with you about is that you can't win a championship with him at coach and that his game plan and strategy as coach is poor. This I do not agree its purely opinion and no facts to back it up. I respect what you have to say and like that you said you want to see how the team does.

I think his rotations have been great this season and he's adapted and put players in position to succeed. He has a great relationship with Dwight which is huge. It truly seems like their both on the same page. He's gotten all the players to buy in to the team first mentality and winning the championship truly seems like only thing on this teams mind. I like what I'm seeing from Mchale we sport a top 10 offense and defense and seem to be leading from are mistakes that's a sign of a good coach. At the end of the day it's a players league and the best players win and Mchale does a good job having his talented group prepared and locked into the game plane and that's all you can ask.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of coaches don't have playing experience. Mchale is an nba hofer and one of the most competitive dudes ever. It's hard not to listen to him.

12. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

He's killing all the core players with heavy minutes.

Parons (40mins) with back injured.
    Harden (37mins) just came back from foot injured.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

it was a playoff-like game.. what else can he do?

lets hope the players are resting well today.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Parker played more minutes than Harden.

Duncan played 5 more minutes than his season average.

15. verysimplejason

McHale should be a very good assistant coach or the head coach for a budding team. For a team on a win now situation, I think there are better alternatives. If he can somehow get better defensive assistant coach... I'm still not satisfied with the team's defense.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lowry didn't have a problem with McHale per se. He had a problem that Dragic took his starting spot while he was injured, just like ABrooks didn't have a problem with Adelman until Lowry took his starting spot while he was injured.

17. MaoKhan

MaoKhan Member

any clips of Mchale and Pop arguing last night?

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think McHale and the rest of the staff have done a very good job coaching, but about this statement:

[​IMG]

#38 Carl Herrera, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good comment. I think it's an example of the chemistry on this team. Not only between the players, but between the players and their head coach. I don't think anyone ripped his hire more than I did, but the results speak for themselves.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

Reaction in Clutchfans after a win: "I think McHale is a good coach".
    Reaction in Clutchfans after a loss": "OMG MCHALE ISOS AGAIN. FIRE HIS ASS."