1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why Kyle Lowry must start over Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jaybiddyforeal

untrue... kyle shoots less because he doesn't take bad shots and is willing to make the extra pass. kyle is a career 43.0% shooter. if you take out his three point attempts which he only takes when wide open or forced to because of game situation (end of quarter, shot clock etc) he shoots 48%. he is also a career 80% FT shooter. dont let his 69% from the line in 7 games so far fool you. everyone says kyle cant shoot which isn't true. kyle cant shoot the 3, not yet at least. all brooks CAN do is shoot, and when he is having an off night, he is basically useless.

2. ibm

ibm Member

oh oh, another patch of numbers... :D

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

except his numbers are not accurate.

4. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Saying all Brooks can do is score is ridiculous. You can't just ignore is 8 apg. He isn't Steve Nash but he is not the terrible playmaker all the "Lowry fans" make him out to be. Lowry is great at what he does, which is come of the bench and provide an alternative look at PG (like having a fast and bruising RB in football). Its a great tandem and we should be thankful for it. But in now way should Lowry EVER start over Brooks

5. ibm

ibm Member

then you show us some accurate ones, please?

i am too lazy to dig, and am not very good at numbers anyway.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You are incredibly naive.

You can make that claim about any player with a decent fg% (not even lowry in this case) and low FGA.

Giving lowry more shots isn't going to make him score 18ppg. You guys view stuff as being too linear. If we increase A! Then B mus go up!

If that were the case the game would be much easier...you can't just give a plyer more attempts and expect them to score a lot more, its more like a graph of something goes up and levels out to a point. (Square root function if you want to expose me for my nerdiness)

And believe me, the top of the curve shows infinitesimal increments at around 16-20ppg for Kyle. Meaning, you could give him A LOT more shots and it wouldn't do nearly as much good. Him avging even 12 would be huge.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

No, but he is a superstar at drawing fouls.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

for one, Lowry is a 74% free throw shooter, not an 80% shooter, and he has in fact shot below 70% during at least 1 entire season of his career.

His other stats are just complete fabrications that have no basis. He just bumps up Lowry's shooting % 5 percent due to him "shooting his in forced situations" which according to him do not count as real shots.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

and he is a below average free throw shooter. What is your point?

10. ibm

ibm Member

ok, you're right. lowry's ft % is some 74%. i did a one-minute drill myself.

but the other poster was right. taking out his 3 balls, lowry's 2pt shots have a career % of ~48%. (i guess that's becuase most of lowry's shots are close to the basket.) so "fabrication" isn't true; and it sounds a bit like the red neck republicans. :D

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kyle_lowry/career_stats.html

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

Drawing fouls puts the other team in foul trouble and also gets into the bonus sooner so other players on the team are more effective. It also makes the defense of the other team more tentative, and reduces defensive efficiency. As I said, it is one of the most important skills for an offensive player.

12. ibm

ibm Member

bball 101, really. :)

one of the reasons i wanted lowry to start last year when yao was playing.

13. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Aaron has shot 23 fts this season, or 3.3 fts per game.
    Kyle has shot 21 fts this season, or 3 fts per game.

You are going to tell me that because Kyle Lowry shoots about 1-2 fts more than Aaron each game that he should start?

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

um, what's their respective minutes per game?

This thread is turning into KOF and AOF it seems like, amusingly

I think the argument is close enough that Adelman should play matchups and be flexible rather than keep one as the starter and the other a backup. Play them both equal minutes, and both should be happy.

15. trugoy

trugoy Member

compare their usage ratings, yes, Kyle is much better than Aaron.

More importantly, Kyle has a much better chance of actually "baiting" defenders to foul him, so much more likely to draw a foul when we need it, i.e. to stop momentum/runs by the other team.

16. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

^That is not true. You cannot bring one shred of evidence to prove that Kyle Lowry, if given 36 mpg that Brooks plays, would produce more and help the Rockets win. Everytime Aaron is not in the game our offense looks absolutely pathetic.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

So creating 1-2 more fouls onf the defense is more important than creating plays on offense? Lowry gets credit for having better vision simply because he runs a fast break well. When it comes to set pieces, Brooks has Lowry beat in every aspect. brooks has the ability to break down his defender, drive the lane, and create movement within the offense. When Lowry is not running a break, he is remarkably easy to contain.

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

His role as a PG is not to be a one man allen iverson clone, do you wonder why Landry and buddinger are going off on the second unit? It's because Lowry allows them to shine by running the offense well. On the few occassions when Lowry does look to score one on one, he is remarkeably adept at drawing fouls.

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The bad thing about Lowry is that he tends to get frustrated when those fouls aren't getting called. Instead of calming down, he gets over-aggressive, and usually starts to foul on defense.

I mean, Lowry has had 2 games this season already when he has had 4 fouls in 20 or fewer minutes. Tonight he had 5 fouls in 26 minutes. In the first game of the season he had 4 fouls in 27 minutes. So four out of the Rockets 7 games, he had at least 4 fouls in not even starters minutes.

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

True, he does become overaggressive in attacking the basket. I think that will come with experience and more respect from refs, and more playing time ;)