1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why Kyle Lowry must start over Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Would be a stretch with Yao. But that lineup is in the game when we have built up a nice tempo and momentum. If it was the exact opposite, not in our favor, this would make the ass whooping 10fold.

2. ibm

ibm Member

ain't we in a small/fast ball fever here on this board?

as long as the team can produce points, and fast, it pleases our eyes (or "more pleasant to watch" said by many), doesn't it?

3. ibm

ibm Member

we don't have a good enough big right now, anyway. make do with what's at hand.

4. trugoy

trugoy Member

You go with

Lowry
    Battier
    Ariza
    Scola
    Landry

as the best starting 5 which would actually be a better offensive + fast breaking team

5. ibm

ibm Member

this could work, too. (depending on the match-ups of course.)

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I get what you're saying, I for one want wins, an aesthetic loss is still a loss.
    I'm just not sure they wouldn't foul out by half time.

You would almost have to go full Suns/Warriors and not play defense. Just try and outscore our opponent.

7. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

Lowry is the better pg in the traditional sense.
    Brooks is the better shooting guard forced to play pg...

Now, can we move on!! LOL.

8. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

Until Battier gets out of this funk, I would prefer Bundinger in his place.

9. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

You guys seriously overrate Kyle Lowry. Aaron Brooks is the better player. On a team devoid of superstars HE is the one matchup problem we create against other teams. Kyle is no slouch but he is not as good as Aaron Brooks. Start Aaron, give Kyle good minutes , hell even play them alongside each other sometimes.

10. jaybiddyforeal

amongst about 10 other mind blowing facts about why lowry is a better pg then brooks you can check out these two that should settle the playmaking and defense debates

Assist to Turnover Ratio
    Lowry - 3:1
    Brooks - 1.6:1

lowry is holding opposing pg's to a .317 fg% and 10.9 PER (league avg is 15.0)
    brooks is holding opposing pg's to a .465 fg% and a 13.5 PER

in addition:
    lowry is holding opposing sg's to a .432 fg% and 10.9 PER

and i can go on for days about how lowry is always in the top ten at his position and in some cases in the league for stats that reflect efficiency like FGA per FTA, deflections, charges drawn, defensive rebound rate, steals per minute, blocks per minute etc

brooks on the other hand... uh the guy shoots threes and he is fast. ok cool...

11. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

A fair comparison of both:

Kyle averages 7.5 ppg and 4.3 apg in 24 minutes.
    Aaron averages 18.8 ppg and 7.7 apg in 36 minutes.

Even if Kyle gets Aaron's minutes he wont produce at Aaron's level. Hes just not as good.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not to mention if you put Kyle with non finishers like Batttier and Ariza instead of with landry and Budinger his assists would go way down....

Lowry needs finishers to be effective......Brooks is his own finsiher.

DD

13. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

I'd rather have Lowry start, Brooks is a good scorer, but I don't think that the starting lineup really needs that at the moment and when our stars return. I think the bench needs the scoring more than the starting lineup does.

14. jaybiddyforeal

but what about the fact that kyle only takes 5 shots a game opposed to brooks 15... or that kyle only has 1.5 TO/game to brooks 4.5... brooks can ball, but kyle is a better point guard. is he better for our atypical lineup, idk. but comparing brooks to lowry as a pg, it shouldn't even be a debate. kyle is the clear cut victor

15. ibm

ibm Member

i am not very good at bball numbers or stats. what do the numbers in your post mean? :p

16. trugoy

trugoy Member

C'mon with Morey as our GM, at least we should get beyond just points and assists to compare effectiveness.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

:confused:

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

Exactly, you could almost argue that drawing fouls is the most important aspect of the game for any offensive player. That's what seperates the superstars from the good.

19. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

What a point gaurd is is debatable. Brooks is the better player. For example, I think Deron Williams is a better player then Chris Paul because of his size and scoring ability (despite Paul's slight advantage in playmaking ability). Kyle does have better court vision and defense I give him that, but that still does not make him a better basketball player than Aaron Brooks.

You mention Kyle's FGA, the reason he shoots very little is because he is not a good shooter/scorer. he shoots 39% overall and 30% from 3. He is even a marginal FT shooter, so when he does get to the line he really isn't that effective (Even tho Aaron is slacking there as well). Brooks shoots 49% overall and 38% from 3. Thats why he shoots more.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

So Lowry is a superstar now?