1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why Kyle Lowry must start over Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

Chauncey called ''Big Shot'', we can call Lowry ''Big Brick'' .

I really Really like Lowry's game, but get over it.

1-Brooks hit threes Lowry cannot. and that matters in Adelmans system.

2- Brooks upside is higher than Lowry's. Saying that Lowry is Chauncey withot jumpshot is delusional. Chauncey's most important specialities are getting to the ft line, HITTING THEM WITH %90, shooting three pointers. So if u can't hit ft's and 3's there is no meaning to be a Chauncey.

3- Brooks playing really good this year, last year everyone complained about his courtvision and he's making good amount of assists this year, now after just a bad half these haters comes again. Brooks torched friggin JASON KIDD in the first half, so I can forgive him for a bad half.

Stop hatin' guys. It's like every night Rockets plays bad some guys says it's because of Aaron Brooks. Where was Scola,Ariza,Shane tonight?

Some haters lookin for a new Mcgrady on Rockets to blame everything on, and every single bad night Brooks gonna be their man to blame.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

what he said

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Billups is Lowry's idol. Lowry's twitter background is a picture of Billups and him. ;)

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Don't forget, Chauncey has a great post game also. I like Lowry, but his offensive game has ways to go to be in the same sentence as Billups.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Lowry has one weakness in his game. Brooks has like five.

Brooks is hit or miss as a scorer and is average or worse in every other aspect of the game. He should be in a Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, Bobby Jackson type of role. I'm not saying he's as good as any or all of those players. I'm just saying his skill set is suited for a similar role.

Lowry is the better playmaker, rebounder and defender. He draws fouls at an elite level. He can finish at the basket with contact. He's a constant disruptive force on the defensive end, playing much bigger than his size. He has better court vision, is better in transition and runs the offense better.

Coming off the bench, Brooks can provide a scoring spark when he's on his game or has a favorable matchup. If he's not scoring or is overmatched, defensively, he can go back to the bench.

Lowry is a 30-35 mpg player. Brooks is a 10-20 mpg type. I imagine Adelman is just giving Brooks the opportunity to play his way out of the starting role since he was here first.

6. sbyang

sbyang Member

Aaron Brooks has elite speed and elite shooting (for a pg). He should be given every chance to make it as a starter. He can gain the skills necessary to play the pick and roll through repetition and experience. Kyle Lowry can do some things better than Brooks, but Lowry's not going to get that elite speed through practice.

7. Landlord Landry

and boom goes the dynamite.

8. ibm

ibm Member

this is the argument towards one end (however unpopular it may be on this board).

i am interested to see how many reasonable counters will be offered. myself cannot offer many, though.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

As you said, compare to Brooks, Lowry is a better playmaker. But, I don't think he is a great playmaker. Compare to other WC starting pgs, his playmaking is below the average. And, he is not a very skilled player either.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, let's bench our leading scorer.

:D

DD

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

The problem is that his one elite skill is his achilles heel as well. In order to keep that speed, he can't bulk up, and without bulking up, he will always be abused defensively and unable to take contact.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What kind of logic is that?

If you can somehow explain to me how this group of guys can muster up enough points, with the gaping hole at the C position, you can convince me.

Lowry-
    Ariza
    Battier
    Hayes
    Scola

The only offensive threats are Ariza and Scola. Is common sense really all this "Common" these days?

Ariza and scola benefit from AB's 3 pt threat and it opens things up for them.

Your argument is "Blah blah blah Lowry gets to the line."

Do you honestly believe he will get to the line playing against mega lineups? the lineups we aspire to play against in the playoffs?

And 2 3pt threats? Battier has been in a major slump, if he continues this, The rockets offense would be so predictable it isn't even funny.

Lowry dribbles up the court.

Bynum, Shaq, Stoudamire, Okafur, Duncan, Dampier, Garnett, Howard all wait for him.

The paint is clogged so lowry understands he would be an idiot to throw himself in there like he normally does.

The opponent conjests the paint and the entire area inside the 15-20 ft arc.

Hayes and Battier don't have enoguh offensive skill to create a shot. So he gives it to either scola or ariza. Ariza will either try to create a shot (not too good at yet due to handles) or scola will try a nifty move.

Over time, the opponent will adjust and our offensie will look like **** and give rise to the logic that Mr Barkley or any other person said at the eve of the season. That the rockets would be the worst.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

With a team as offensively as inept as the Rockets, you cannot have a starting PG who has absolutely no ability to shoot. He is also not a great playmaker, he can run a fast break, there is a difference. When it comes to breaking down the defense and creating movement in set pieces, Brooks wins hands down, not even close. Lowry is often out of control when trying to create fouls and it is not a good thing. And like I said earlier, what good is getting to the free throw line if you can't hit them? Brooks is a threat on so many more levels on the offensive end. If it is not a fast break, Lowry is not difficult to handle. Lowry is the perfect PG off the bench.

14. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't know about that, I would say the great performances from landry and chase have something to do with playing with Lowry.

15. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

This has discussed many times, I even have the same opinion as you say, AB is much better at position 2, not position 1, he is not a good maker, but a good finisher. While Lowry is much smart, he know what he should do next. maybe this is the reason why Adelman like let the two tiny guys on the court together. But AB is too tiny, so Adelman also need to worry whether he can do well or not, if AB has the same height as Hayes, Rick may let Lowry start as PG already.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I have to say this:

The most skilled rocket is Tmac.

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

Tracy Mcgrady can make up for the gaping hole in the middle. It would be logical to keep Brooks in that case

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Remember that, they play against opponents' 2nd unit.

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Fixed.

The most skilled Rocket is Yao.

20. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Are you kidding me? Aaron Brooks is a stud, he single handedly destroyed the Lakers in the playoffs. One lose and its time to sit him. He's young and learning. Last year he'd play a really good game then the next two would be failures, so far this season he's improved in many aspects and he's only going to get better.

The mix of speed, handles, and touch is a rarity and it needs to be nurtured.