1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why James Harden is not in the MVP ladder?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jan 10, 2014.

1. roksoer

roksoer Member

I am more amazed why yesterday's Howard alley oop dunk didn't make the top 10, come to think of it, Dwight is never featured in the top 10, why is that?

2. mockster

mockster Member

I mean seriously though. I'm sure Kyle Lowry is playing some good ball but if you presented any coach with the opition to pick harden or Lowry it's a pretty clear pick for harden. I mean harden is the best SG in the nba discluding Paul goerge considering George is really a SF. I think harden has slightly better stats then Melo and is on a winning team. Harden doesn't play the best D but he had good D. Does that make sense?. Like he doesn't hustle or put the effort on D he should but he actually isn't to bad at guarding defenders and when he's healthy he has some of the most solid steals playing the passing lanes. He's defiantly an above grade defender. Think he's just somewhat lazy at times because of the offensive load he had to carry I mean come on he doesn't have the size n strength Melo, Lebron or George has but I do agree he should take the form of a you get D Wade now that's a shooting guard back In the day that had greT defense speacilly in blocks.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Been super cirtical off Harden...but there is no reason for him not to be up there...

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And somehow you think 17 wins and 17 losses is more consistant than 23 wins and 14 losses? That was funny.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The national media doesn't like the fact that he has taken Lin's natural position (PG) from him, and have decided to treat him like a stepchild, a stepchild with messed up feet!
    The national media has spoken...:p

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

After his last couple of big-time performances he will be # 9 or 8.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Lin is lucky. To play on this team, if he play on another team , he will expose his weakness and poor ball IQ. He is a nice a guy with intresting story but nothing more

8. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Harden shouldn't be there. He isn't a leader and his impact on the game outside of points is nonexistent. And about 40% of his offensive game is praying for 10+ free throws.

Coming into the season, he was a sure top-10 player, #1 SG, and had the potential to be the #3 player behind only LBJ and KD. Now he's not even in the top 10.

LBJ, KD, Love, Lillard, Curry, CP3, Paul George, Tony Parker, Anthony Davis, Carmelo, WB, and even Dwight Howard are better than him.

Lucky Irving is having a bad year. Wade/Bosh have had lazy years otherwise those guy would be ahead of him too. Cousins, Blake Griffin?

Is he still a top-10 player to most people on BBS? I'd rather see Parsons take more shots at this point.

9. mockster

mockster Member

He just scored 3 games of 37 points..... He gets a lot of points off free throws because people can't guard him. The way he protects the ball with his forearms and elbows is totally legit and defenders have to foul him or he's gonna score. Your down playing harden so much. Without harden this team wouldn't even be in playoff talks. N parsons is good but not superstar good. Harden throws up a lot of shots but so does Kobe n he's got 5 rings. N harden a ga 5.6 assist a game and ydbj he's a great passer n usually throwing the ops to howard so to say he's not contributing else where is pretty dumb statement. When he's healthy his steals will rise

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

He was there a couple weeks ago, like 6th or something. He went on a slump so he fell out.

He'll probably be back on it soon.

11. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Unless I misunderstood this...ROFL!!!!!

MVP candidate of making teammates better does NOT mean you teach them some skills off the courts, and all of the sudden you see you teammates doing some new techniques on the court. It means is he providing synergies to the teammates and made them perform better.

Melo is an unstoppable 1 on 1 player, but he is a ball stopper and can't get his teammates involve to convert to a W

Thus far, James Harden is the league BEST 1on1 player, you would definitely want him to be on your team if you play pick up basketball. But so far his style of play sometimes take his teammate out of the game.

But, he's young, he's the best scorer in the league, and he is improving. I say he will be a MVP candidate in 2 years

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Regardless of his PIE he will finish in the top 5 in MVP moving. Can anyone tell me if a player's PIE would be negatively affected by playing with another star? It seems like it would be impossible to have a high impact on a team, even if you are leading the league in scoring, if another player on your team is playing almost as well as you.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Huh? Nothing outside of scoring? How about leading the team in Steals and Assists and #5 in rebounding and blocked shots?

He does get a lot of points at the free throw line. Interestingly enough a Kevin Durant shoots even more free throws than Harden while playing fewer minutes. Also a higher percentage of Durant's total points come from the line than does Harden's. Do you think that Durant shouldn't be listed either?

Do you watch the NBA nowdays? Players score efficiently by getting to the line. Just to give you a baseline, Harden scores 31.33% of his points at the FT Line while Jeremy Lin has scored 27.4% of his points from the FT Line. The fact is that if you drive to the basket a lot then you'll likely also be fouled a lot.

14. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I appreciate your response. Are you trying to justify James Harden's free throws by comparing him to one of the most babied stars in the league in KD? KD's free throws are a joke. He shot 12 3-pters vs Utah and got 19 free throws that game. Additionally, leading the team in steals is hardly impressive. He barely leads Patrick beverly and Chandler Parsons by less than .1 each. And him being lazy and gambling on defense is not something to praise, similar to Dwade's defense.

Lin's ft's are irrelevant. I'm sure if we looked at enough players, I would be able to find someone who gets 40% of their points at the line (4 out of 10 points, for example). Volume counts because refs will less likely to give someone 30 fts even if they were fouled that many times.

Yes, players get pts efficiently by going to the line. I never said any different. James Harden's FT's are earned when he throws his arms in the air and snaps his head back. Only Rockets fans are defending this type of play. If KLove or Chris Paul or anyone else did this to beat hte Rockets, the same people would complain about how the game has devolved.

Most fouls probably are textbook fouls. At the same time, if we zoom into every play LBJ or Melo has the ball, they probably deserve 10+ free throws too. Some fouls shouldn't be called. For someone who has the ball 70% of the time, 5assist/nearly 4 turnovers a game is a joke.

15. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

No charisma whatsoever. Highly effective scorer but A snooze to watch. #1, no defense. Will never be a superstar until he gets d down. Harden is just an all star one way player.

16. mockster

mockster Member

Snooze to watch?. I've seen harden on multiple top 10 plays. He argue ably has the fanciest eurostep which he used multiple times a game. He usually always has a couple dunks n he's the one always opping to howard?. Are you watching the games or are you just a spoiled fan who has no idea we have one of the top 10 most exciting players. Smh

17. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Harden driving for fouls and shootings threes is just boring to me. Him getting to the line 100x per game is a total snoozer. I hate iso players so I have a natural dislike for his game. Looking like a ny bum who sleeps on the street corner doesn't help with the image either. Hardens passing is overrated, it's nothing special for somebody who has the ball all the time. Elite offense + piss poor defense won't get you a championship. Anyhow, last years rockets was fun to watch, this year not so much. We were run and gun last year and this year it's harden and Howard Isos.

18. vvlzp

vvlzp Member

i'm ok with not good enough tho, it's definitely not that bad

19. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

That's an anti-Lin post at this post. And secondly, you don't know that until Lin proves your subjective hypothesis. Lin proved that he was good as a Knick when he didn't have a superstar dominating and completely changing his role as a playmaking PG.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I really got to ask... which superstar do you know that does not do ISO?