1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it would be stupid not to match tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets025, Jul 13, 2014.

1. jman255

jman255 Member

Also, look at how Ariza performed against the Rockets. If I recall, he had easy double doubles both games, and PARSONS WAS GUARDING HIM.

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Haha I just don't see us getting any more stars. I think we just need to surround harden, parsons, and dwight with solid role players with a solid rotations. Those are the main areas I think Portland showed we need to work on

We lost out on lebron, melo, and bosh. I really don't see Durant coming to houston, I think Durant wants to stay at okc and I respect that. Unless they trade love to houston we aren't getting him. I believe love will join lebron in cleavland or possibly the knicks in the future

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You do realize Dwight can opt out after 2 more seasons? So you advocate sacrificing one of those because Parsons contract is bloated?

While I would be entertained at any move that makes Cuban's life harder, I don't want to do it at a sacrifice to ourselves.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We either keep chasing the dream of a "big 3" or we improve our current roster and try to win with it. Personally, I think if we keep chasing that "big 3" then we do nothing but waste the careers of Howard and Harden.

5. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Les was about to pay 4 max deals at once. All talk of him being cheap ends there.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If I know Morey, He will chase the "big 3" AND improve the roster in the meantime simultaneously. At least, that is the game plan.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sorry to say this but IMHO all the reasons the OP said are stupid reasons to resign Parsons.

1) Being a glue guy and fan favorite doesn't earn you 15M or the same salary as franchise players like Harden, if that were true Shane Battier should be making 15M.

2) We owe Parsons for Dwight recruitment but we let him out his contract 1 year early so he can make money earlier. Even Steven if you ask me. He can try to convince Dwight to join him in Dallas but 3 years from now who is in Dallas? Will Dirk still be playing then? More likely he comes back and resigns with Houston like Ariza.

3) Speaking of Ariza, you mentioned they posted similar stats but didn't mention Ariza will be paid half of Parsons contract and that Ariza is the better defender last year. So to equal that Parsons has to improve his D first then double his production last year to justify his x2 contract salary. Do you think Parsons can improve that much?

4)there's a steep tax bill, it starts at 1 dollar over the tax then increases to 1.5 after some time
    So Parsons salary can cost up to 30M per year once all is said and done. If it was Lebron James sure pay that bill but this is Chandler Parsons we're talking about, he's just a role player at the end of the day. If Led has money to burn let's buy draft picks or increase the coaching staff, there is very little return on investment if we get Parsons as compared to buying 15M worth of picks for 3 years. I'd rather have us under the cap without Parsons then into lux tax with Parsons. Lmao sure the Rod org can't be this stupid, this would be Rashard Lewis 2.0 if we sign him to the max.

3)

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly.

And its funny how POWERFUL Morey's knack for finding young talent is, yet at times lacks patience to let them grow.

Having 2 all-stars and a solid cast around them wins chips also.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

That's pretty much it. You can't knowingly design a weaker team when you've got Howard and Harden. Now is the time to go for it. We are not in tank mode.

10. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Look, Chandler's stat was inflated because he played 38 minutes a game. Once his minute drops to 34 with a reduced role, expects him to be 14 5 and 3. Is that a a good contact?
    Didn't your overpaid backup PG put up similar number at half the cost (5M/8.33M), and everybody here was bit##ing about it?

I don't see how having 34 minutes of sh**y defense at the 3/4 helps you win a championship. You put him at the 4 and your defense will be even worse.

It is also debatable whether he is an asset or liability purely from an asset management perspective, as some insightful posters have pointed out.

Wake up guys, matching or not matching is a matter of whether you want to cut loss.

11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I agree. I am sure Howard and Harden talked Morey into matching Parsons offer. They told the Rockets how important is Parsons to our team.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

You can't possibly be this stupid?

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I agree. He should've said:

Without Parsons we have close to ten million in capspace with noone worthy of signing for that. With Parsons we potentially still have the MLE, TEs and the bi annual exception. Without Parsons we won't have maximum capspace in the next 3 years because of Hardens, Howards and Arizas contracts. With Parsons we have the MLE at least until we hit the tax apron (which won't happen until we get another big contract guy). Without Parsons we have no shot to trade for a star, because we simply don't have enough outgoing salary (with Howard and Harden off the table, we essentially only have Ariza) - with Parsons we could combine him with picks, young players and eurostash guys to at least potentially trade for a star.

Without Parsons we have a worse starting 5 and no depth. With Parsons we have the same starting 5 as last year and much needed wing depth at the 2 and 3. In the playoffs we roll with a 7 men rotation - with Parsons we already have 6 of those pieces in place.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Move on guys, Parsons is not worth 46 million he is not a superstar. And giving him that money will screw us over. We won't have enough money sign other guys who are better than him and will help us win. Move on.

15. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

Anyone could be a bad fit next to Harden if Harden doesn't pick up defense, no genius can cover his ars. Harden with no defense is a bad fit to everybody ,every team.

Parsons play behind ISO harden and post Howard, he can still get his stats, do you think Cuban is an idiot to so overpay Parsons? they have scout Parsons and the young man has potential.

How many times we've been through this scenario, we dump rockets then we beg them to come back: Lowry, Dragic, Hill, Lin, Ariza...

the next would be Parsons

16. chandlerbang21

And you are???????

17. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

From a depth perspective, keeping Parsons does improve the Rockets if they can't find any body else the whole season, but that's not going to happen because Morey keeps finding good fit. At the presence, he should be treated as a second option to Ariza because Ariza plays much better D. . What we need is a defender at the 4 who can reasonably spread the floor, a player similar to Bosh. If we can find a good 4, Parsons should not even be playing more than 30 minutes because of his bad D at both 3 and 4.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It is really annoying when people keep on posting this, without really having looked at our situation and the cap and the cap rules. I am sorry for singling you out here, but could you just name 1 alternative name that we could sign this year or the next, that would make us better and that we couldn't get with Parsons?

19. deshen

deshen Member

You get two stars already and you do not want to put $23M per for another two players at 3. Remember Harden can play SF too.

Parsons is as good as gone.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

but if her boobs are amazing.........well then you just gotta marry her

[​IMG]

We shall match Parsons.

#80 Tfor3, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014