1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it would be stupid not to match tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets025, Jul 13, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I don't understand why they wouldn't match. What if Cuban's offer was $12 million, which is about what we were all expecting... his current offer is only $3 million more.

Why would they let him go over $3 million?

2. Madclownpacasum

3. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

This! We all expected a 10-12 million dollar value when Morey declined his offer. Is a extra 3 million a year to much for the production and value he brings to this team?

4. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

"I have enough money, but I don't have enough championships. If your not in it to win championships, then you shouldn't be in it." - Les Alexander

Les ain't scared of no luxury tax

5. sTWO

sTWO Member

Parsons is a great player and should sign where he gets paid the most, but outside of our 2 main stars we have to focus on value. At $15 mill he's not a value and will handicap the team's ability to afford gritty role players. We need more finds like Ariza @ $8M. He and Parsons score about the same but who here can honestly deny that Ariza is a better defender? He can and should be our starting SF right now. It doesn't matter if he's in his prime or not as long as Harden and Howard are. The rest of our players should be viewed as interchangeable year to year based on production relative to cost.

We need more "D" and depth. Overpaying Parsons doesn't address either need.

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

a) Chandler's starting salary will be 14 plus million, I don't remember the exact number, but it is a few thousand below what Harden will make this year.

b) The trade kicker can't really kick in if the time comes for him to be traded because no matter what, his salary can't exceed his MAX.

c) He will either 1) accept the player option because he doesn't feel he can get a bigger contract and thus be an expiring contract such as Asik/Lin that year...hence tradeable asset...or 2) opt out which means he has lived up to the contract and beyond because he feels he can get even more money

d) The salary cap will start to rise even more quickly and in 3 years, his salary will seem a lot more reasonable once you start to see how big the new contracts will be. We have had a few years of stagnate salary cap, but that is ending and will jump a lot starting in 16/17

e) We can't spend the money we can spend on him ANYWHERE else because of how the CBA works, so we either spend it on him and have a good player to make our whole team stronger, or save Les some money and have a weaker team...there are NO OTHER OPTIONS at this point.

f) If we match him, we can either 1) complete the Asik trade before and still fill out another bench spot with that trade, or 2) complete the Asik trade afterwards and use the TPE to add another player later, although with less flexibility, but still able to add another player.

Matching Parsons doesn't HURT the Rockets in ANY way, it's only more money out of Les' pocket.

Matching Parsons makes our team better, and after Jan 15, 2015, we can trade him with his permission if a team wants him, or after June 30, 2015 we can trade him to anyone that we desire...if it's in the best interest of the team at that time.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

3 million is still a lot over three years with player raises and trade kicker that will go into affect when salary cap increases.
    Player option makes him virtually untradeable until 3rd season which he likely won't play if he is worth trading.
    Puts Rockets a lot closer to apron which will hamper sign and trades and use of full MLE.
    By striking out this year, his salary would prevent free agent signings next season.

If his contract can't be traded and Rockets don't think they can win "as is" with help via MLE signings and draft picks, he won't be matched.

I think Rockets match, but it isn't an easy call. Rockets already declined his option and can't undo that calculated risk that has backfired. If Parsons was a Dallas FA and Rockets had 15 million in cap space, I doubt they make a 15 million dollar offer to Parsons. Considering the Rockets may remain over cap makes it really complicated from a risk standpoint.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If we don't match, Les is not serious about winning. You don't put an inferior team out there if your goal is championships.

9. jman255

jman255 Member

These reasons are good reasons.

-Friendship with Dwight
    -He's the Rockets' fans favorite (cause Howard, Harden, and, hell, Jeremy Lin were WAY less popular)
    -Call Parsons Elmer's Glue, cause the team would all fall apart without him
    -Make sure Les shows the NBA he isn't cheap.

C'mon. These are NOT reasons to sign Parsons. Our team would be capped out if we were to pick up Chandler, and, I'm sorry, I do not want a team with only Harden, Howard, and Parsons for the next 3 years. That team does NOT a championship make.

Let him go, and laugh at Cuban for overpaying a role player. Laugh at Dirk for taking less money so they can sign PARSONS. The Rockets had a bad free agency, but the Mavs' was even worse.

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I feel like parsons is much more than a role player. The dude avg almost 17 a game while having harden and dwight on his team. I honestly think if he goes to mavs he will avg 20+ a game for them.

Harden was also the reason we lost this year. I think if he didn't blow it we would have been in the conference finals.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's fine to match but we need to add another piece besides Ariza.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We don't want the Mavs to be better than we are next season and, if they get Chandler, then I think the Mavs will be better than we are. Who in their right mind would want that? Also, don't forget how the Mavs have beat our ass up the last several seasons when we play them. Sign him.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yes, match Parsons so we won't have enough money to sign another star! Yes brilliant idea! Let's waste most of our money and over pay Parsons so we won't have enough money to re-sign Howard and harden in the future! Screw those guys! Parsons is the real deal he's our true superstar the next Larry Bird!!!!!!

14. amak316

amak316 Member

Is Amare an asset for New York? Is boozer an asset for Chicago?

I'm not saying that his deal is as bad as those, I'm just saying it's very easy for an overpaid player to become a liability. Chandler is a fan favorite, but if he's not movable at that number (a real possibility) and if we're not contenders as built (a near certainty, we were a 1st round exit that has had a net negative off-season) you can't just match to be less mediocre in the short run.

15. jman255

jman255 Member

THANK YOU! Someone with sarcastic common sense.

Let Cuban overpay Parsons and in 2016 offer LMA the same money Parsons is making. Cuban offered Parsons max contract to try and screw Morey and the Rockets. He signed Parsons thinking the Rockets would match. I promise he is praying to the basketball dummy Gods that the Rockets match.

16. downbytheriver

You kids dnt get it. Giving parsons to Dallas for $45 mil is ****ing them over. That's why we shouldn't match. Dallas isn't going anywhere with or without him. With a legit pg his production will be doubled by routine role players.

17. downbytheriver

Yup.

And rmbr, the only reason he was a glue guy was because our $8 m PG was so bad. A guy like rondo or Bledsoe makes you absolutely forget a glue guy SF.

Love Bev, but need him as backup on championship team.

18. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Yes! Let's keep chasing star players and keep screwing over our team! Let's keep having no real identity because we are trading and signing players because we are to insecure and are star chasing! Let's not give anyone any time to adjust to one another because we can't keep names on our roster for more than a year! Let's watch dwight get older and sacrifice our bench depth because we are going after a star every 6 months!

19. downbytheriver

Parsons ain't the answer, and a bad fit next to harden. Dont be desperate and marry the first girl that dosy do's with ya.

20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Excellent points. At some point, you have to stop trying to overhaul the entire roster as we have been doing for the past few years, and start solidifying it and letting chemistry grow.