1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Casserly asking for something more out of the Drew Henson pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Shouldn't Casserly package someone else w/ Drew Henson and trade up in the draft? I think what he's asking is not very much for a good college QB.

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

A good college QB that's been out of football for three years. Plus, there's a few QB's in this years draft as well.

Anything above a 3rd rounder is gold.

3. itzIce

itzIce Member

Well, he's labeled as a risk but more of a safe risk. I think that just because he played one stellar year, we are getting a steal with maybe a second round draft pick or even a great steal with an extra first rounder. Shoot, we havent even seen the best of this guy if there is anything left in him. But give props to Casserly, he advertised him as a first round pick.

itzIce

4. kevwun

kevwun Member

Henson's agent is the problem that's keeping the Texans from getting a deal done. He wants a guaranteed 10 year contract so it will make up for the small signing bonus a sixth round pick gets. He also wants a lot of it paid up front and a way for Henson to opt out somewhere around the half way point of the deal. There are a lot of ways for this type of contract to screw a team. Finding someone to do it will be hard enough without the demand for a 1st or 2nd round pick thrown in.

5. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

So, what is the possibility of no trade happening and Henson going back to the draft? Are some teams just going to take that chance?

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

That is the problem right there. Basically what he's doing is trying to cash in now just in case this doesn't fall through, make money on this contract to make up for the money he lost from the Yankees. Casserly's actually being quite reasonable because Henson and his agent aren't.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since Casserly is the one in the actual negotiations with these teams, I imagine he is asking for pretty close to what teams are willing to give. Besides, why would a team that is higher in the draft want to trade for Henson? Most of the teams above the Texans aren't very good, and the biggest bonus for Henson choosing the team he is traded to is that he can go to a team that already has winning pieces in place.

8. notafaker

notafaker Member

Thats when you wrong anything better that the 6 rd pic is a good pick cause thats when we drafted. We need to melt this out to the end though.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is there the possibility that, assuming there is no good trade to be made out there, the Texans sign Henson to a 1 year deal and have him be the backup? That way, he still doesn't have to deal with not knowing where he'll be after draft day, he gets to learn an NFL system, the Texans get a competent backup, and they have another year to trade him.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why would henson do that?? why would he want to be a texan with carr and ragone on the roster?

if i'm henson...if i can't get to where i want to be, i'm not signing with the texans...i make myself available in the draft and go from there.

11. plee

plee Member

correct, he doen't have to sign with the Texas. Really the only risk for Henson is not being able to pick where he may go and what round he may go...

I'll bet there will be a deal before the draft, just alot of posturing right now...

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

If Henson goes into the draft, there is no way he goes in the first round. He'll take a trade eventually.

13. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Unless he gets a gaurantee from another team that they will take him in the 1st round I also think he will agree to a trade. Unless he wants to risk being taken by those teams he is rumored not wanting to go to - PHX, SD, etc. Those teams in the top half of round 2 who did not take a QB with there 1st pick might be hardpressed to pass him up. He won't last all the way to GB or BUFF in the 2nd.

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

probably because there are so many better qb's out there than him in this years draft.

Rothlesberger (spelling)
    Manning
    ect...

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Chances are very good that Henson re-enters the draft, leaving the Texans with nothing to gain. Its unfortunate, but it was well worth the risk. Casserly did a great job regardless of the outcome of this whole thing.

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

if we get nothing out of it how is that a great job?

trade Henson to Detroit for Cory Redding

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How is it a great job? Taking a 6th round pick and possibly making it a 1st rounder isnt brilliant? Does everything always have to work out for it to be "good"?

Every GM in football wishes they had taken Henson last year with a 6th round pick. Only one actually did...