1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Isn't Bush Campaigning for Romney?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dandorotik, Oct 31, 2012.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I see that McCain, Rice, etc. will be out in full force this weekend, as well as Clinton, Biden, etc. on the other side.

Question: why didn't Bush attend the convention? Why isn't Bush campaigning for Romney? He's a former President, after all. I don't get it. Wouldn't a former 2-term President be a major asset for Romney??

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Because, at this point, even hardcore wingnuts realize that he was a terrible president who caused most of the problems we're having now. Republicans think that, if voters don't see Bush, they'll forget Bush.

It would make sense though - Romney seems intent on perpetuating Bush-era policies.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Because he is a cancer, and the R's would be wise to distance themselves from his policy and record. Same thing happened last time around when he didn't stump for McCain.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Brownie and Bush should get together and do a reunion tour.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But they're not distancing themselves from his policy.

6. Granville

Granville Member

Fixed that for you.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So you admit that if voters see Bush, they'll realize Obama isn't that bad. Gotcha.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6tb1mk-dixk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The same reason Clinton did little to nothing for Gore and Kerry. Being President for 8 years is trying. Both Presidents were not well received after they left either, albeit for much different reasons. I think we'll see a return of Bush in the next election regardless of the outcome of this election...

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I thnk GWB just wants out of politics and the limelight. All the **** he had to deal with, some good a lot bad and all the criticism he absorbed, I think he just want to be left the f*** alone.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Bush doesn't stay involved in politics in any form. He doesn't campaign for any Congressman or local representatives. He does military charity events and hangs out at his ranch. He has stated that he thinks it's inappropriate for a former president to hassle a current president. He has also stated he doesn't want to wade back into the swamp of politics. Bush senior has a similar attitude.

I wouldn't try getting an answer from one of the liberals on this board. It won't be a mature response.

#11 tallanvor, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would to. And the Republican party doesn't really want him around either at this point.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Bush isn't campaigning for Romney for the same reason Nixon didn't campaign for Ford in 1976. Nobody wants to be reminded of a failure.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Translation: it is too much work and his brand is cancer.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This pretty much sums it up. I don't agree with a lot of what Bush did, and I think Bush realizes he made many mistakes during his presidency. I can't say the same for Obama. Quite frankly, four years in, Im tired of Obama blaming everyone else for his failures. I think most of America is too.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Actually, that's understandable. Thank you.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Some of you guys are so full of BS

You all know if Bush had been successful he would be on the stump and you would be cheering his presence on the campaign trail. Instead you shunned him the moment he was out of office as the loser and pariah that he his.

You are not fooling anyone

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bush gets a lot of **** he doesn't deserve. To be honest he was just the victim of hardcore wingnuts and Cheney.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bush is still radioactive and is political death to anyone he touches. It's understandable a president leaving office with so much universal scorn would hide behind an excuse for staying so low key.

I read something a couple of years ago about how careful his handlers have to be when W makes controlled public appearances because they are concerned how negatively people will react to him

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Bush wouldn't dare show his face -- too soon.