1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the West consistently stronger than the East?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tksense, Jan 26, 2013.

1. tksense

tksense Member

I'm getting tired of this, season after season. Look at NOH, it's probably a Playoff team out East; DAL is definitely one. Miami coasts in reg season barely getting sweats. LBJ going .550. NY BKN CHI are on the same level as DEN UTA and HOU.

The east with one and sometimes two elite teams tend to win championship because top teams out west wear each other out.

Curry gets snubbed while plenty of east all stars are meh.

It's unfair.

Stars migrating to the east simply regress. Amare, deron, etc, except melo this year.

Remember when we all liked to think HOU of Yao & tmac era couldve easily be top seed in the east, or reach the finals in a healthy season such as 05 or 07. Even this year, the rockets could be looking at 2nd or 3rd seed right now facing primarily eastern conference opponents.

Why has the eastern conference teams not improve and become competitive? And they have easier travels. Do the GMs/owners feel less pressure, hence not really looking to improve? Are they content about the easy road to the playoffs? Is it that they make more money in the east (more populated cities) so they don't try as hard? I thought more $$ = more stacked teams.

For basketball reasons, why can't the west share some managerial talents and competitive spirits with the east, so the games we see are more balanced? For example, it's weak team vs weak team almost everyday if u live in DC. Does the league benefit from a weak east?

Thanks for your insights! :)

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

West has a few more .500 teams, but "Hornets = playoffs" and "Houston = 2nd or 3rd seed"?

3. BeardsOnParade

Take a look at Houstons record against the Eastern conference, we typically dominate teams like the Bulls, Knicks, Hawks and other Eastern conference teams outside of our recent slump where we have been slammed by a brutal schedule of back to backs and road games. I dont think its a stretch at all to say the Rockets could be a top 4 or 5 seed in the East.

4. BeardsOnParade

and when i say i dont think it would be a stretch, i mean we would be ATLEAST the 5 seed in the East

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You've beaten New York, New York has beaten the Spurs, the Spurs have beaten you.

Yes, your record is good vs. the East, but that looks pretty random. If the Rockets are better than New York, why can't they beat some of the teams that new York has beaten?

The 5th seed in the East is Indiana btw. I don't see a reason to think that the Rockets are a better team.

1 person likes this.
  6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

cuz the houston rockets are in the west, duh.

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

GMs and ownership

8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I say top pick should always go to the weaker conference.

9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

You're only now noticing this because Scalabrine retired recently, thus drastically reducing the quality of the players in the east.....:)

10. supdudes

supdudes Member

Lemme ejewmakate y'all for a sec,

In da East they iz killin brothas left n right, so ain't no young blood gonna wan go dere cuz they iz scared of gettin smoked, see? Even them hard *****z from da hood don't mess wit dat shet, n they take they rich asses Wes cuz **** jus smells betta, da air be cleaner, n da hoes be finer, nah-mean?

Buh donn hang wit Kobe, aight? Cuz dat rapist mofo ain't gon pass you da ball. Ain't no place for a black man in Kobe's army, ya dig?

-Wakey Flloyd , Sleepy's Bro

11. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

It's because you are a Pacers fan ;)

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

hehe. true. but i think most people would see it that way too.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

You can't really use winning percentage as an accurate measuring stick since teams play more games within their own conference.

Just doing some rudimentary calculations looking at the standings, it is clear that the west is stronger top to bottom. Western teams are 50 games over .500 in games against eastern teams (somewhere around 131-81, though I admit I could not find the exact number). Only 3 teams in the west have losing records against the east.

It's pretty incredible that this disparity has gone on as long as it has, especially since western lottery teams have on average had better records than their eastern counterparts, which leads to worse drafting position.

15. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

i think there was an article posted a while back that said that good teams (SA, DAL, UT) run their organizations well while bad teams (CHA, TOR) tank but cannot build off of good draft picks.

it was an article that supports the non-tanking stance. too lazy to find.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Because it's easier to make money in cities like Orlando, NY, Miami, Boston, New Jersey, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, and Atlanta than it is to make money in a lot of west cities that have more spread out cities and multiple sports teams.

Cities like Sacramento, Phoenix, Utah, Portland, Minnesota, San Antonio, Houston, Memphis and NO need to make the playoffs or they won't sell tickets. The Lakers always need to make it far in the playoffs to keep the movie stars and artists showing up to the games. The Clippers were manufactured and forced onto the stage to get more actresses like Jessica Alba to show up to Clippers games. Her followers in LA might think to go to a Clippers game and a Lakers fan that sees this might do the same as well.

Point is, in some cities the tickets sell themselves no matter how mismanaged the team is. In the East, most of the population are within 10-20 minutes of the arena. In the west, teams work harder by drafting and signing good contracts to help make sure they make the playoffs and compete.

17. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Lets face it the Western Conference is SEC. Rockets will take the challenge

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Why is NFC stronger than Afc an yet texans can't take advantage :(

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

(the number is 152-108)

I'm not denying that West overall is stronger than the East btw, West has 3 of the 4 best teams and it's a little bit deeper. An Eastern team will have to play OKC,San Antonio, Clippers and Miami 9-10 times, a Western team 12-14 times, so there's a disadvantage.
    And that said, there have still been some extreme claims in this thread.

"New Orleans = playoff team in the East." They are way under .500 vs. both the East and West teams, so... hardly.

"Houston= 2-3 seed in the East". I understand why a Rockets fan would say that. Houston has a great .750 record vs. the East. But if they are as good as their record vs. the East would suggest... why do they suck so much vs. the West? I mean, the Rockets are .320 vs. West, only the Hornets, Kings, Bobcats, Pistons and Cavs are doing worse.
    Vs. the East, the Rockets have been better than OKC; vs. West, they've been worse than the Wizards, Raptors or Suns. That's not normal at all.
    It's one thing to say that the Western Conference is a bit deeper and stronger. It's another thing to think that the difference is as big as the Rockets record would suggest (.750 vs. East, .320 vs. West) and that the Rockets would be one of the top 3 teams in the East. That's wishful thinking.

20. tksense

tksense Member

While my statements seem like a stretch, it's not totally out of nothing.

NOH sits in a tough division. If they can face sorry teams everyday in the east, they won't play for the tank on some nights. When they're serious they are capable to be a threat, winning not because of disparaging by the other team. Remember east teams fighting for 8 or even 7 seeds have been sub .500. They get to play sub 500 teams all the time and are all still sub 500. NOH may not be better than BOS but based on the team's new dynamic, they could be fighting for a playoff spot in the 2nd half with a realistic chance feasting on truly sorry teams.

HOU's losing streak had been impacted by 8 games in 12 days via two sets of 4in5. It was predictable. Remember east teams all have the benefit of shorter travels hence better accommodations on these nights. I believe they get significantly less fatigued than players in competitive west teams.
    Also, some here note that rockets style of play works better against smaller east teams than physically stronger west teams. We can't really be sure why but the record disparity can't be only due to coincidence. Where it could, is only to the extent of scheduling.

Lastly, the 152-108, .585 winning % can be a rough coefficient to account for the difference in the strength of opponents a east or west team face everyday.

Don't have time for the math, its interesting though!
    ---
    Back to topic

Even if you feel my assumptions are overboard, we can all agree indisputably on the disparity between east & west and its unfairness.

So, why? Don't anyone want to change this? It seems the league doesn't mind at all. As a business, all good as long as teams are profitable. But where's the PRIDE?