1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the doubling of Harden causing so much confusion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Nov 27, 2019.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The Marty Schottenheimer of the NBA...

"Only an idiot would run it up the middle again - they'll never see it coming!" ;) lol

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol gordon is famous for his shooting slumps

Blurr#7 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he can also drive, house as well!

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

You pretty much illustrated why the confusion. Instead of actually asking you posted some stuff that isn’t even what’s going on nor is the root issues

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

They are slowly adjusting. One thing I noticed is that they run a wing guy to the FT line area so that he can make an easy play.

Nelly likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Cause westbrook sucks the life out of our offense.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

I wonder if they actually practice this, since it's about time all wings and guards learn how to handle the ball once they get it from Harden. Tucker has had some success with the runner / floater, House can definitely attack the rim, Capela can just post up once he gets it in the middle. There's a lot of options.

9. JackLordsHair66

True but Russ ain’t never gonna shoot as good as Ego from 3 when Ego gets hot ... all this is assuming that when Ego returns he gets into game shape quick and doesn’t linger in the s$$tzone he was occupying the first few games of this season cause if he does we’re in deep doo doo !!! We need Egos shooting exceptionally bad to be any kind of a threat come playoff time, he’s the Superunknown X factor imo.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

But he can't finish at the rim in traffic.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

All good, Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy yourself. We agree to disagree!

D-rock likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Yeah, there is a cutter from the 3pt elbow. PJ is usually the recipient of the top of the key pass, you should get a lay up all day with that.

Relativist likes this.
  13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Cleverly disguised "Fire MDA thread".
    ALL THE BASHERS BE UP IN HERE. lol

RoxFanfrom93 and D-rock like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

A big part of it is that Westbrook is useless in a half court offense unless he can get in the lane. Capela is useless unless Harden is in the lane for a lob. Tucker is useless unless he hits a corner 3.

Look at it like this... Westbrook doesn’t want to take 3’s.... Westbrook doesn’t shoot 3’s well.... Westbrook doesn’t shoot mid range shots well.... so in the half set, why guard him? Sag off of him 10 feet and force him to shoot.

Clint Capela cannot shoot and will not hurt you as long as Harden isn’t in the lane so why is guarding him if he leaves the paint a priority? It is... stay in the paint, cut off lanes for Harden.

Tucker is a great corner 3 point shooter, but he isn’t putting the ball on the floor and creating. So defending him is easy unless Harden goes to the basket.

So everything depends on Harden hitting 3’s and opening the lane OR Harden getting into the lane and opening up shooters by attracting defensive attention. Everyone knows this..... so why fear doubling Harden? Capela and Westbrook won’t hurt you... that leaves Tucker and House. Tucker can kill you if Harden gets in the lane, but if the lane is clogged then Tucker is neutered. So that leaves House....

So now Harden has a double team... a clogged lane and basically only Westbrook open... and we already discussed that teams WANT Westbrook to shoot.

So it all comes down to getting the pieces to make the lane less clogged and to let Westbrook crush teams in transition.

A 5 that can shoot would help the spacing a lot and may force teams to fear Westbrook penetrating enough to guard him closely, allowing Harden to get in the lane and open the offense.

The other “piece to help” limit the effectiveness of doubles? Transition offense... good luck doubling if the Rockets have the personnel to run with Westbrick.

Relativist, D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Imo Tucker belongs on that list for guys teams worry about shooting the three ball especially from the corners.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Gordon will change all this.

but I did notice and adjustment last game against the heat.

harden got off early they didn’t trap early.

when they did he started letting russ and rivers bring the ball up court more in the 2nd half.

harden can play off ball I’m seeing more and more of it this season than at any point he’s been here minus his first year here.

Like Harden said the other day even though we are winning which is great him and Russ are still figuring it out.

Russ minus the TOs has been pretty good the last few games imo. He’s progressing.

I don’t like him more than first year cp3 but I like him a lot more than last year cp3 and he’s available to play every game which is a sight for sore eyes.

This is the first year harden had had a teammate avg 20+ ppg next to him.

All championship teams need than minus the first rockets title and the only Dallas title.

Once EG returns and if he’s what he’s been the past few years we’re going to be really hard to beat.

I’m actually watching the other teams this year and not saying we can’t be beat in a 7 game series against the elite but their is also no reason we can’t beat them either. This is not the KD warriors era.

Rockets are 12-6 and missing their 3rd best scorer 4th best player overall and learning how to play with another former mvp allstar player in Russ.

we’re in good shape we’re right there to make a push and get rolling and grab that 1-2 seed imo. We’re not so far back like last year at this point.

I’m glad the injury stuff to EG happened now and if the rockets are telling the truth that EG has had issues since last year then maybe we get 1st year EG who won 6th man of the year and the 3pt contest.

we get that EG back it’s on.

Clint is balling he’s eating out finally as an elite defender he’s blocking a lot of shots and is everywhere on the glass.

in in season pickup for a Trevor Ariza type player would put us over the top imo.

I don’t like some of the losses but I like what I see when I really evaluate the process. A lot of media and nba personnel thought we would really struggle and we have to an extent yet we sit here minus EG at the 4th seed and the defense has improved greatly.

I think we can get to top 10 on the end even if most don’t Iv seen stretch’s of very good D which leads me to Think Come after allstar break we’ll ramp it up full time and the playoffs we’ll really lock up.

this team wants the chip and knows we actually can.

the lakers and the clippers are great but their not as great as the media is portraying. Their nowhere near as good as the GS teams of the last 3 years. Iv been watching them a lot and they are not unbeatable and I’m still suspect about their stars. All 4 have injury concerns. Lebron only because of age but I’ve yet to see Kawhi PG13 And AD not be banged up going into the playoffs.

especially pg13 and AD their always hurt and get some sort of pass. Maybe because their not on Lebron and Kawhi level but their is concerns with those 4 players.

Harden and Russ are always available especially harden

Relativist likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Our two guys with the greenest light are injured.

Have you ever seen Gerald Green hesitate to shoot? We need more guys like that who can get hot quick if you keep leaving him open.

Yes, we actually need role players with Kobe mentality. Rivers, House, McLemore, Clark, and even Westbrook all hesitate to shoot it when they are open.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

True but I was talking about dual threat guys who can really make something happen off of double teams. Tucker is pretty much catch and shoot only.

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

We need consistent shooting threats to bust out of double teams. We just simply aren't making shots right now.

D-rock likes this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know he sucks but I've never seen McLemore hesitate to shoot. He shoots when he's open, he shoots when he's not, it seems like he has the same confidence as Gerald Green, and the same quick trigger. It's really a shame he makes less than 30% of them.

D-rock likes this.