1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the center position so weak now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Trackball, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Trackball

Trackball Member

All this talk about Dwight Howard, plus replaying NBA 2K12, made me wonder something.

I'm playing as a 6'11" all-around center in that game, and in one possible interview answer, the player-character flat-out states that the center position in today's NBA is really weak--so few good players there compared to the '80s and '90s.

Why is that? Why would a position that used to be the centerpiece (no pun intended) of championship teams become so impotent these days?

Is it because of recent rule changes that would favor guards and forwards over centers (which would explain why there are so many good power forwards in comparison, and 7-footers like Pau and Donuts playing PF)?

Or are the people who play center just not very skilled today, compared to days gone by? Have they lost the fundamentals, or are they just too soft and afraid to bang in the low post?

If it's the latter, prime Hakeem would likely average 40 points a game these days...

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

One reason is random variance.

3. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

NBA changed the rules so oversize centers can not dominate. They basically made Yao one foot shorter. :)

4. victorx91

victorx91 Member

Because everyone wants to be like Mike.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I blame it on DD.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cause center's don't excite people. Everyone wants to be Kobe and LeBron and not Roy Hilbert.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its more of a mentality thing than anything. Plus the euro big guys are really trendy. Everyone is looking for the next dirk. I also think guys coming out to early and not developin. If howard were coming out in say 88, he wouldn't be as god as kevin willis. Shaq also played a part in the position sucking. If duncan,garnett,rasheed,webber,and dirk played in the 80s, they would be centers. Those guys saw shaq and decided to play pf.

8. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Sometimes i wonder how will Dwight be treated if he had any semblance of a jumpshot like Dream and Yao did.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the average fan identifies more with guards and forwards closer to their own size and the average fan also likes 360 dunks more than hook shots and $tern wants the average fan to be happy

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Basically this. The rules were modified to make things easier for a free flowing up and down offense mostly dominated by guards and forwards. Anyone who has been watching the NBA for 15+ years can see how guys who attack the rim can barely be touched and get a foul call where as back to the basket players need to be mauled before the whistle is blown. This leads to bigs focusing more on jumpshots and driving a la Chris Bosh. Because of this, centers are mostly used for defense now. Offensively, it's generally a better option to have a perimeter player barrel his way into the paint so that he can jump into someone to get a foul call and/or pass off at the last second than depend on a post up.

IMO, it's annoying, and not really even basketball, but it works in pro basketball. I doubt you'd have much success playing that way in a pickup game though.
    "you fouled me, brah"
    -_- "I was standing still and backing away!"
    "doesn't matter, I ran into you and we made contact. So, it's a foul!"

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

****ing Stern.

12. 713

713 Member

basketball reasons bruh.

13. fkc20

fkc20 Member

I think NBA is trying to make the game more high-scoring and competitive, putting players into free throw line easier than the past. It has been said that in NBA, no player can guard another one-to-one, which makes offensive easier and defensive more challenging. Some people thinks that suits fans' interest. As a result, centre, who are relatively less mobile and loose-limbed than guards, are more prone to getting personal fouls.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think this era of big men in the 7 foot range is any worse than normal. I think the era we came out of with Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, et al was the anomaly.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because Duncan, Rasheed, Dirk and KG wanted to be power forwards. Even Howard would be a power forward if it wasn't for his lack of offensive skill.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

This really is pretty much the reason. Everyone wants to play like a guard and hit big time shots rather than take it to the hole in situations. Yes I know MJ's specialty was driving to the basket but the images people think about are his clutch shots. Basically everyone wants to either hit a 3-pointer or get a highlight dunk now. No one cares to develop a post game because people don't see that as highlight-reel worthy.

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

All centers now all get treated like Olajuwon did vs. the Sonics.

The zone killed one on one center play.

I wonder how Dream would have fared now - and I wonder how Yao would have fared before the rule change.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Again, as bad as the centers are now the crop was way worse 5-10yrs ago IMO. The late 80's - late 90's were an anomaly if you think about it. The center position hadn't been that good (depth) previously.

19. what

what Member

There has never been a glut of great centers in the nba.

In the 80s, Robinson, Hakeem and Patrick were in their heyday. You had Kareem who was winding down. But that's about it. In 2000s, Tim, Shaq and Yao (for a little while, anyway). Now you have Dwight, Aldridge, Greg Monroe (potential).