1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is MDA not playing Austin Rivers more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Interesting. I noticed this as well. I love the way Rivers play and gives them an edge and another look when attacking the paint and plays great defense. I’d say that he’s struggled with the 3 ball is the reason and MDA likes Mclemores ability to shoot when they’re trapping James. As much as I love how Mac has improved he still makes a lot of mistakes on both ends. I would play rivers more.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

that’s precisely the reason. Mclemore is shooting the 3 ball well. But rivers gives you an edge driving the paint and better defender. It’s a toss up and MDA chose the 3 ball. Disagree with you. EG has played great and gives the Rox an edge since coming back with his ability to shoot and dribble drive penetration. I think mclemore is a liability with EG coming back but I’m not the coach.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yeah you’re right he has driving ability and gets us out of scoring droughts. Great 1-1 defender. MDA favors macs shooting right now. This is the only reason I can think of is reason why he’s not played since EG’s return .

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I am all for Rivers playing more too...I just think its too early to make judgements on what coach is doing...he could be just tinkering with lineups. he could also be featuring ben and house for trades? We'll see what his lineup is in the playoffs and that's all that really matters...I think he knows what he will get from austin and others need work on defense.

Austins only weakness on D is he can get bullied in the paint against bigs, so maybe that's why ben played more he is bigger?

Relativist likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Here's a thought!, why not do both! I know shocking right!! Since MDA hasn't done it, then it must be impossible.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Since this thread was started Rivers has logged 27, 27, 25 minutes and is starting again tonight.

Poor Austin. Why is Dantoni running him into the ground! Let him rest!

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rivers not playing with normal fire.

For a while now.