1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Lin getting so much hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Nov 24, 2012.

?

Why so much Lin hate (options described below)?

1. Expectations

125 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Contract Cost

44 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Releasing other 2 PGs (Lowry/Dragic)

76 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. LOFs

67 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. Other

54 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

hahaha - woodson walked out of the court like a dog with his tail between his legs . peeing.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol why are you still on the forums didn't you say you were leaving it like a couple of times already?

3. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

This happens because of the perception, or reality, of direct competition.

If one group of people is used to, say, working in lower-skilled jobs and then another group of people begins to come into town and is starting to take away some of those lower-skilled jobs, then members of Group A may begin to reel resentment towards members of Group B.

This kind of thing has apparently happened in Southern California between blacks and Latinos:

http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_blacks_and_immigration.html

Now, back to Lin.

People have said here that the think Lin may be getting hated on because he is getting fame and money that outstrip his production. And they have said that Lin may be getting hated on because he is infringing on black "turf," so to speak, in the NBA.

Both of these things are probably true, to some degree. It reminds me of Larry Bird and Tim Tebow.

I grew up in the 1980's. Hated Larry Bird and the Celtics (how could you not if you were a Rockets fan?). Bird and the Celtics definitely faced backlash because of the "white team" and "white star in a black league thing." This was talked about in the HBO Magic & Bird special. It's not a new topic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=4985885
    http://thegrio.com/2010/06/03/how-race-has-played-a-role-in-celtics-lakers-rivalry/

There was concern that Bird and the Celtics may "take away" the game from black players and teams. This issue underlied a lot of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, especially at that time.

The feelings about Bird and the Celtics, then, are similar to the feelings of the Group A persons mentioned in the example above: People live in a certain neighborhood, or area, and come to consider that area as their own. They come to consider certain jobs or job fields as theirs. When members of Group B come in and start to infringe on the turf of Group A, then those in Group A will probably feel unhappy.

Tebow. Tebow fits in the discussion here because he is regarded by some as similar to Lin. That is, a guy who gets too much hype given his abilities or lack of abilities.

What you have heard from some people, Kordell Stewart on ESPN's "First Take" comes to mind, is that Tebow got chances that black athletic quarterbacks didn't get, etc. Is that true? I don't know.

Anyways, I think a big part of the "problem" for Tebow is that he is a running quarterback. That is, he is an athletic quarterback who may run before he passes. Recent examples of this kind of QB are Kordell Stewart, Michael Vick, Cam Newton and now RG3.

So, along comes Tebow and he's being hailed by some, it seems, as like a world savior. And I think some in the black community were like "Hey, where was that love for Mike Vick? Or Cam Newton? And this guy isn't even that good!"

That is where the comparison with Lin comes in. You go back to the statements by Floyd Mayweather, Jr. on Twitter (I think it was) and this was basically the gist of them. Yeah, the guy is good, but if he was black he'd be just another guy. And that is basically what Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman infamously said about Bird.

There are plenty of guys in pro sports who have gotten bigger and more outrageous contracts than Lin. Jon Koncak comes to mind, as do Reggie Bush and Rashard Lewis.

I personally don't think there's any way around the racial element of the love and the hate towards Lin. Both sides will say the other "started" it. Lin fans will say that haters don't like him because they're racist. Lin doubters will say that Lin fans only like him because he's Asian, or not black, or whatever. I've seen all of this and everything in between.

2 people like this.
  4. 34to11

34to11 Member

Oh okay, I didn't get that specificity in your original post.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

There is a lot more to it than this imo. I also think it is funny that you had to start your statement with I am Asian as if that makes your opinion more noteworthy. Just a thought.

7. 34to11

34to11 Member

That's Stephen A.
    That's what he gets paid to do.
    I think it's foolish to ever take him too seriously.

I was referring to those here on a Rockets forum who accuse other Rockets fans of being racist anytime they criticize Lin.
    They have even accused coach Sampson of racism. :rolleyes:
    What's the basis for that?

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

Thank you Sir.
    The truth is rather simple when you get down to it.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Just trying to show that not all Asians think it's because of race for the most part.

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Actually steven A smith - backed off, I couldn't believe it. He said that Jeremy Lin will improve and become a Solid PG, but not Elite. Whooooooa
    That is a big improvement from he is a mediocre PG. He will never be good!

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8660698

So interesting comments on Race in the discussion also , you see SAS also backing off on this topic also.

Whooooaaa SAS tamed.

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Not to say that racism doesn't exist in this world anymore or anything. Just that I feel that the hate on Lin is more to do with other factors rather. Like saying coach Sampson doesn't like Lin because he's a racist. How in the world does anyone even come to that conclusion? Just because he felt Toney was a better matchup in certain situations?! That's a lot of digging and stretching. The more the racism card is played without any solid proof, the less power it holds. Kind of like the story about the boy who cried wolf.

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

You do know that solid and mediocre are along the same lines, right?
    I think the word mediocre has unfortunately taken on a heavily negative connotation.

14. 34to11

34to11 Member

Exactly. Hollow accusations of racism detract from those who suffer from real racism in this world.

15. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Very well written and reasoned post. I agree. :)

16. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Hypocrisy is what drives me bananas the most. People like to criticize America for lots of things, especially racism. There has no doubt been much racism here in the past, and we've been progressing the best we can living in a culturally and ethnically diverse country.

However, when people from homogeneous countries/societies use the internet to criticize the race relations of The United States is the epitome of hypocrisy. When one comes from a country/society where most people look and think alike, what right does that give someone to hate on America? We have our problems and you can point them out if you wish, but you look pretty foolish unless you come from a country that is just as diverse, yet more intrinsically peaceful.

17. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Blaming coach Sampson for racism was over the top. That's your LOFs reacting and using race as a crutch.

Then again, Sampson is not the coach for the Rockets. Lin should not have been benched.

18. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

No doubt people from homogeneous society tend to be ethnocentric due to obvious reasons, but America is a land where people from other places come to live. What made America thrives is the diversity of talents, idea and people. Without that there will be no America.

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

It's two reasons. First, he has not lived up to the hype around him. Second, some of his fans make excuses and don't care about anything else but him. These fans seem to be a small percentage but are very vocal. Somebody mentioned it before and I think they have it right. He's the Tim Tebow of basketball. A player with a chip on his shoulder that has a big fan base based on a crazy run of great playing, while retaining fandom for something that has nothing to do with the sport. Tebow has the Jesus angle and Lin has the Asain angle. The only thing we a can agree is that both fans are annoying as hell. I hope Jeremy Lin becomes an Allstar type player. But as of right now he's an over hyped backup in a starter position.

20. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

LoL 3.

I hear ya.