1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Lin getting so much hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Nov 24, 2012.

?

Why so much Lin hate (options described below)?

1. Expectations

125 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Contract Cost

44 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Releasing other 2 PGs (Lowry/Dragic)

76 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. LOFs

67 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. Other

54 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Also, I forgot to add that I think there will be some improvements in Lin's game; I just don't think Lin will be an All-star (based on his skills) in 3 years. Who knows, maybe Lin will manage to improve his shooting so much that he will be an All-star but I doubt it.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is a misconception in a lot of ways though.
    1) the vast majority of fans are not aware that revenue sharing goes on in the NBA.
    2) every player gets paid for things that aren't solely due to the level of there play though. Some mediocre players get contracts just because they are tall. Some players get contracts because they are culture changers & are "veteran leaders". Some continue to get contracts because they were once high draft picks despite the fact that they have yet to live up to there top pick standard.
    3) I think because Lin is asian everybody focuses on that aspect a lot more quite unfairly which in an of it self is a double standard
    4) Look at Dragic he got a nice contract based on 28 starts in Houston. He wouldn't have gotten that money if he hadn't gotten a chance to start over Lowry after all. He had a similar small sample size as Lin where he played at a high level. So if Lin was white & played as well as he did in NYK last year he wouldn't have gotten as much hype but I do think he would have gotten a similar contract.
    5) I think it is easy to argue that if lin was any other race a lot less people would be upset about his contract.

1 person likes this.
  3. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Case in point: Landry Fields who played really badly for Toronto, and he is getting paid a lot of money. And Lin is playing definitely better and contributing to his team than Landry, but I don't see people cutting Landry down. Look, blame the media for covering Lin, even when his playing does not deserve to be covered, but don't blame Lin who seems like a real nice guy.

4. blink

blink Contributing Member

nobody is blaming lin for anything other than crappy shooting. there is no racism. there are a lot of excuses

5. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Good points. I have no idea why people would "hate" NBA players for getting paid a lot of money, unless the money was coming out of their pockets. I always say "all the more power to them who can get paid a lot of money, such as Amare Stoudemire".

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm glad u think Lin should be compared with Landry fields tier players. And btw you can't find one fan in Toronto that doesn't think fields is absolute trash

7. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I agree that most Rockets fans just blame Lin for poor shooting.

8. pnr

pnr Member

Landry is getting paid approx one mill less than Lin per year. Landry is better than he has shown so far. He has high Basketball IQ and is great at cutting to the basket.

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I believe Lin is much better player than Landry. Lin makes good passes, gets many rebounds. Yes, I blame Lin for his poor shooting. But I also have no idea why Rockets got Lin when they are not going to use him as the primary ball-handler.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is patently false. I follow one on twitter who doesn't think he is trash at all.

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I am sure many Knicks fans think Amare is an absolute trash. But I think Lin has a room for improvement, so the fact that his shooting is sub-par after 12 games does not doom him to a "trash" level.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

Any chance any of those "black brothers fans" were the same ones cheering insanely every time Yao dominated Dwight Howard or got the better of Shaq?

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I'm Asian and I think it's easy to understand why he receives so much hate. There are extremes for sure but for the most part I understand. He is over hyped and his performance so far has been sub par. Also number 4, his fan base treats him like an idol rather than a basketball player, makes every excuse possible for him, and compares him to proven stars already. All this racist stuff is just nonsense to me since Yao was well liked for the most part on this forum.

14. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I was referring mostly to "black brothers fans of Knicks", not Rockets fans.

15. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I call them "Lin worshippers", rather than Lin fan, but someone reminded me that the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic". I think his shooting has been sub-par, but in other areas, I think he has done a good job, such as passing, rebounding, etc.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL I remember all the **** Stephen A used to say about Yao Ming. He said that Yao would never amount to anything. The when Yao played well he would say well your 7 foot 5 your supposed to dominate. Even when Yao was beasting he still found ways to discredit everything he did.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah he's still too inconsistent though. Like sometimes he'll have stretches where he'll look pretty good and then some stretches where he looks like a D-leaguer like against Nate Robinson/Bulls. Even he admitted that he's been "exposed" this season.

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think you need to be a little more sensible though. How many players who have started in less than a full NBA season are consistent...

20. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie