1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is he considered the best ever?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by primtim24, Aug 22, 2012.

1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

If you are reading this Apollo, please scroll up and click the little "1" and re-read the opening post. I am not comparing any statistic to any other, I'm just pointing out that he wasn't at the top of every category yet people (including myself) claim him to be the best ever....What makes him the GOAT to you?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

He owns an awesome motorcycle racing team or something.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

Ask some of the hall of famers from the 90s like ewing, barkely, miller, malone, stockton, alonzo, dominque and you can add more, why they didnt win a championship and they will all say Micheal Jordan. That is why he is the greatest, he made it ok for people to become first ballot hall of famers without a ring.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Same here.

He was king of the hill for 6 years and no one really was able to knock him off. That's impressive.

My argument for Magic was that he beat another all time great during the best era of NBA basketball ever. He also lost the KAJ in the NBA finals during his rookie year and won the Finals MVP.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He's also in underwear commercials.

6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Michael had the intangibles but I dont think he'd be as great in today's NBA with the zone defenses. Guards nowadays are faster, athletic, bigger, stronger and leap higher.

He played in the hand checking era blah blah blah...yea I prefer to have one guy draped all over me than 2 guys covering me in the mid/high post without the ball in my hands

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Not-so-cleverly disguised, delusional "Kobe is better" post

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Or Michael is simply not the greatest ever

9. dharocks

Except you were obviously implying that if MJ's not the greatest, a player from today's era of legal zone defenses is better. Since LeBron is the only wing who could make even a semi-legitimate claim to that, does this mean you've hopped on the "LBJ > Kobe" bandwagon?

Oh, and Jordan whipped a Seattle team in the finals that made a living playing illegal zones.

10. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

You're just putting words in my mouth, I never said that. 60s, 70s, 80s, 2000s, today, whenver I see a player who could dominate all those eras is who I think deserves to be greatest and I think Wilt and Kareem can do that and MJ cant and thats why I brought up today's NBA, more speed, longer players, more athleticism, more team defense oriented.

11. dharocks

But that makes no sense if you're arguing that a player's dominance would be diminished by the legalization of zone defenses. If anything it's hurt bigs to a greater degree than perimeter players. The only reason the NBA even started allowing them was because of Shaq.

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

Lol at this diss-cussing. He's considered the "GOAT" because the majority holds that belief...

It is NOT the definitive universal truth that MJ is the best. I for one, think Kobe is better, because of what he means to me. None of you can tell me otherwise. You can say "you're wrong", but would I give a ****? No, because that's the opinion I'm happy with.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

so be it. Its not like Wilt and Kareem dont rebound, block shots, patrol the paint. That kind of impact on that end Jordan will never provide. And those two also happen to be one of the best offensive rebounders in the game as well, there are ways to be effective on offense as well

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

And I love how Lebron is brought into this discussion lmao, 1 fluke championship and people are blowing him. Hes a one hit wonder like Dirk, Peyton Manning, Alex Rodriguez. Very hard to stay at the mountain top

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Every reason everyone has posted and also b/c his career was pretty much played out like a movie.

And b/c majority of the all time greats believe he is without question the GOAT and the way they tell stories of him as if he was merely a myth.

17. gambingo

gambingo Member

He gets a pass for having Hitler's stache...

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

There are many reasons as people have said already. On the basketball court:

1. He dominated in all of those categories you listed above
    2. As a complete of a player as you'll ever find. He can do it all: rebound, steal, defend, shoot, dunk, assist, block, etc
    3. As the complete offensive arsenal. There is a not a shot or trick shot he cannot do.
    4. He can determine the outcome of a game using his will
    5. He played in the arguably the most competitive decade in basketball (90s) and dominated like nobody's business
    6. He can make his teammates better
    7. Freakishly athletic and quick
    8. Won on every level - college, olympics and NBA
    9. Clutch
    10. Teams had to design defensive schemes just to stop him (watch Jordan Rules by the Pistons)

From a marketing standpoint, he has no peers. Air Jordan, Gatorade, Ballpark Franks, Hanes, etc. You name it.

1 person likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I read it - in case you didn't notice, he's near the top of all your lists, and when you start taking into account context and getting rid of outliers (like silliness like Robert Horry or Tom Heinsohn having more rings or the silly arena ball statlines of the late 50's early 60's that inflated scoring numbers...) you only make the case stronger.

LOL, yeah a one hit wonder 3-time MVP, lol.

20. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Peyton Manning 4 MVPs
    Dirk 1 MVP
    A-Rod 3 MVPs

All have been to the mountain top once thats it