1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone against upgrading at PG (in the near future)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sen89, Nov 29, 2012.

1. philchips

philchips Member

We have a mid level playoff team, you gathered that from a dozen games huh. Just like everyone was saying the rockets were gonna be at the bottom of the league and now say there gonna be good. No one is looking for a pg because that's not an immediate need. Example, last game harden and lin combined for 20 ast. Do you really think we need a pg? Now let's look at the pf position. Patterson gets like 4 rebs and has no post game, do you think that would be an immediate need? Even if lin sucks, hardens passing will make up for it. Unless Asik averages 19 rebs we need a pf that can help on the boards and post.

2. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I think right now the coaches aren't as sure about Lin as they are about Harden. Harden has shown he is someone a team can build around. I think Lin is little by little getting more confidence from the coaches. It seems the two players the coaches trusts are Harden and Chandler. You usually see one or the other on the floor at all times.

I was actually really surprised Sampson let Lin run the offense by himself during the last few minutes of the OKC game and Lin did a good job. I think they went on a 8-2 run.

3. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I meant the last few minutes of the first half.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They aren't and shouldn't be to the team or Lin himself, just to the LOF's who would get more pleasure out of Jeremy putting up 30PPG and being a bottom 3 team than seeing this team win games and potentially build a playoff contending team by Lin deferring playing off of Harden rather than being the focal point of the offense.

If Lin is the focal point of the offense then it takes the ball out of the hands of the teams best player. Basketball is simple. You let your best player be the best player.

Lin is not the best play maker on the team, and has shown that as an off the ball scorer, he's pretty bad right now. He could eventually be just as valuable as Harden to the team if he improves, but right now on the court he needs to walk before he can run.

He needs to really work on his off the ball scoring. Then that will make the defense have to count for Lin off of Harden, which will then make Harden better which will then make everyone else better... including Lin.

5. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Well, people has their own opinion. Good day.

6. dobro1229

Haha... what's the counter to my opinion? That Lin is a better all around player than James Harden or that the best player shouldn't be touching the ball as much as the lesser playmakers on the team???.... Please try to sell me on the counter argument of my "opinion."

7. fv court

fv court Member

Jose Calderon would be a low risk proposition at PG. Expiring contract and available. Could see how he works out, and either sign him for a lower contract or let him walk at the end of the season. He's not in the same league as the other guys listed, but he is a lot better than Toney.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

hell he's a lot better than Lin ... :)

9. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Are we in the court now that I need to win the case? Why I want to waste my time to argue with your opinion? This is my last time answering your post. good day.

10. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I don't think Harden is a better play maker, he's the better all around player/scorer, but I think Lin is the better play maker. That's my opinion.

11. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Jeremy Lin gets 30pts each game and the team lose?
    Are you referring Melo?? LOL
    Lin will never be that kind of player. Nor the fans want him to be like that.

Harden is the best player on the team. True. But it doesn't make him a better PG than Lin. IMO, he is not a better play maker than Lin, either.

This is not about spotlight or superstar crap. This about playing their NATURAL POSITION and playing to their STRENGTHS.

When Harden was running the point, he was always looking for his own shot first mainly because he had the mindset of a SG. That's why our offense became stagnant at times.

When Lin was running the offense, the flow was much better. He distributed the ball very well because his NATURAL POSITION is PG.

If the coaching staff put the ball in Harden's hands because his our superstar not because his strength is running the offense, there's something wrong...

12. dobro1229

There is no case because there is no counter argument. Just root for the damn team please. I think I speak for alot of people here that really want Lin to be successful. We just dont want his personal success to be a higher priority then winning.

Pretty simple stuff. Hope you become a true ROCKETS fans one of these days. We need everyone we can get, but I just hope you are a Rockets fan for the right reasons.

13. dobro1229

Ok, I cant respect opinion's but do you have anything to back that up? Maybe some stats.

14. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Not a stats person, but just looking at their assists numbers could tell you. Lin has had several double digit assists games even when he doesn't touch the ball much. As the other poster above mentioned Harden is looking to score more rather than to distribute. Lin is the opposite and you can see how he gets easy baskets/open looks for his team mates. I could also ask you for some stats also.

15. dobro1229

Ok....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWv3ZXOS3Y

Yeah, look at both wins vs. NY and Toronto.... How many assists did Harden have those games???....

You dont think Harden getting guys open looks had anything to do with the team winning the games? If Harden didn't have elite scoring abilities, and he was just a Mark Jackson type of PG, the defense could have stayed home all day long with the shooters on the wings, and forced James Harden to beat the team with his scoring ability. Harden forces a double team almost every single play which means somebody is open. When Harden & the rest of the team can get the ball to the open man... they have a great shot at winning games if they can hit shots, and play solid defense.

Jeremy on the other hand, I do think in given time can command a double team consistently, but right now he's just not scoring well enough to command it. Plus the main reason why the offense is staggering is because the defense is lagging off him of him and forcing him to take shots he's not knocking down. When he knocked down jumpers vs. the Knicks & the Raptors look at the difference it made in their offensive production.

So you say Lin is the better playmaker... ok.. what do you mean by that? Because he's not commanding a double team like Harden is which gets everyone open shots. So what should the Rockets do? Take the ball out of the hands of the player that is commanding a double team almost every single play so they DONT GET OPEN SHOTS???

Yeah.....

16. torocan

torocan Member

Uh, no.

Just ask people who follow the Raptors what they think of Calderon. Check out their boards... they want to dump Calderon. Badly.

Calderon is a black hole on Defense. He constantly misses rotations and can't defend on ball or off the ball.

You *might* get a few more assists from Calderon and a few more shots, but you'd give it all back and change on the defensive end.

According to Synergy Sports...

Jose Calderon
    0.91 PPP allowed - #201

Jeremy Lin
    0.77 PPP allowed - #77

Scoring is NOT a problem that the Rockets have as a team.

Houston Rockets
    0.91 PPP scored - (10th in the NBA)
    102.1 PPG - (5th in the NBA)

Defense IS a problem
    0.88 - PPP allowed (20th in the NBA)
    101.5 PPG allowed - (29th in the NBA)

Marginal improvement on offense vs Lin to date, HUGE step backward on defense.

17. Postcall

Postcall Member

I thought Harden played great fighting over OKC double teams. Lets not change anything,

18. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I think he was joking at least I hope so.

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

20. nono

nono Member

This could have been put inside the "Jeremy Lin is a joke" thread or "Jeremy Lin Sucks" thread, or the "eremy Lin" thread. Too much clutter.