1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone against upgrading at PG (in the near future)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sen89, Nov 29, 2012.

1. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Rockets just missed out on signing Derek Fisher. :)

2. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

I can't recall a single successful example that a PG thrives in a system where the SG dominates the ball all the time.

So I don't think Lin will ever be able to reach his ceiling in this team as long as they keep running the current offense system.

2 people like this.
  3. jose

jose Member

Which is exactly why Lin should play off the bench like I keep saying.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Exactly! very well said.

but doesn't that make you a hater? :) Why are you bashing Lin?

5. Grigori

Grigori Member

It does make him a hater, but it is the coach he is bashing. ;)

6. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

That's not bashing Lin. Many Lin fans has made this observation, but are bashed for it.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Andre Iguodala played the Harden role on the sixers last year and Jrue Holiday's stats were pretty mediocre (13p/4a). This year, Jrue has free reign of the offense and is putting up all-star numbers (although with high turnovers-his 'linsanity' run). Lin obviously is under a new offensive system and that reflects in his stats. PLus he is still not 100 back from his knee surgery. I think we should give him one season to see how he adjusts to the system. Morey will def look to move him if he continues to struggle.

8. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Did you just say Patterson has had a better year than Lin?? Are you forgetting the ONE REBOUND GAME?

9. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Not gonna happen.

The Rockets is not a championship contending team. Lin doesn't have to sacrifice like that.

If this Lin-Harden combo doesn't work out. Lin probably will be traded in the near future.

10. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Bashing?? Wow

I'm just a realistic Lin fan. And yes, I'm bashing the coaching staff.;)

11. torocan

torocan Member

I'm not against trading Lin (or any other player) as long as it makes sense.

Getting a legitimate upgrade that fits with the age and play of the team should always be an option, whether it's Lin, Asik or Harden. No player should EVER be untouchable.

The problem here is, how many PG's can you guarantee WILL be a significant upgrade that are going to be available, that you can get for a reasonable trade or reasonable FA price relative to their production, who will also perform well with this line up, and will fit into the long term goals of the team.

That's the real problem with this question. The list doesn't really exist at this point, nor does it look to exist any time soon.

As for the ball dominant part, there are NO top flight PG's that are NOT ball dominant. Your only real choice is whether they are pass first or score first PG's. BOTH types of PG's are ball dominant.

The ROLE of PG is by definition ball dominant. This also happens to be a significant part of why Harden is ball dominant... he's effectively playing part time PG duties.

Pick a top flight PG and think about it... no matter who you put with Harden you're going to sacrifice production.

Now, if you want to play Harden as the PG and get another Shooting Guard, that's another kettle of fish. However, I don't think Harden is such an amazing facilitator that he could play that role as effectively as a true PG and STILL put up All Star scoring numbers.

As good as Harden is he's Tony Parker. Heck, he isn't even Jeremy Lin when it comes to distributing the ball.

1 person likes this.
  12. pnr

pnr Member

Lin is unfortunately utilized as Mario Chalmers right now. That's just how the coaching staff wants him to play.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i was being sarcastic. I too have expressed many times that the coaching staff doesn't use Lin in a way that capitalizes on his strengths. They've basically relegated him to a jump-shooter. But i've also been accused of being a Lin hater because i think he needs to improve his jump-shot.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do think this is a valid point, but that doesn't mean that Lin cannot be an affective player with Harden. Just not a star player being the focal point of the offense. I guess if you are the Rockets front office and coaches you have to ask yourself the question... Is the success of Jeremy Lin as a superstar that much more important that this team becoming a championship contender?

Despite what I just said though, even if Lin plays the way he's playing the way he plays now, but knocks down open jumpers at an efficient rate, the Rockets offense would be one of the best in the league right now. Especially with the dramatic day to day improvement we see from Asik & the PF's(Patterson & co.). What's best for this team moving forward is for Lin to be more Kenny Smith than Allen Iverson for them to be successful as a team.

Lin's shooting will be the key to this offense becoming above average consistently this season. However, I get what people are saying here. Yes, the addition of a ball dominant(rightfully so) star shooting guard limits Lin's ability to be the backcourt superstar himself night in and night out. However that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. Harden is a proven all star player who more abilities that Lin.

So Lin can still be a big part of this team moving forward, but yes, I agree that Harden takes the spotlight away from Lin now moving forward. Its just that I dont see that as such a bad thing. This team was never going to win a championship with Lin as its best player and that's a fact.

The sad part about all of this though is that many poster here (LOF'ers) put Jeremy's success as a superstar as a higher priority than the success of the Rockets moving forward. That is what pisses me off more than anything.

15. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I don't think any Lin fan would deny he needs to improve his jump-shot. However, he is contributing in other ways even though he's not scoring much...assists, rebounds, steals, defense, etc.

16. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Yes, I agree with this. I think that poster was just pointing out which has already been pointed out before that Lin's abilities are not being utilized the best in this offense and the haters need to realized this. Agree, if Lin's jump-shot improves then our offense could be one of the best.

Sorry I don't think I care if Lin has the spotlight or not nor do I think Lin does either.

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That's why everyone is looking at power fowards. The way I look at it, we have two nice/young pick and roll guards but no one to roll with. Patterson is showing signs of life but I would rather have someone to run the pick and roll/pop with Lin and Hardin. I think that's how you make both of them more effective. Lin's strength is finishing at the bucket not standing around shooting three's.

18. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

But why are these mutually exclusive? Why do people assume that if Lin is the focal point that it will hurt the team? Perhaps instead it would actually improve the team.

19. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Sorry, a little bit confused about your comment.

IF Lin has potential to be a superstar and successfully developed to be one, you don't think the team can become a championship contender when you said if Lin can just play the way it is now and just improve his jump shot at an efficient rate and the team would be one of the best in the league already?

Because of Harden is an already proven all star, do you want another player with potential to be developed into an all-star? Can be be done without playing the player to his strength rather than to his weakness?

hmm...

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry I thought that comment was pretty straight to the point. The best player on your team should be touching the ball more than anyone else on the team even though in a perfect world, yes, you would like equal touches for everyone because the ball movement is so great. Your best player gives the team the best chance to win. That's the point.

Yes, Lin can develop his game much more, and yes its more than possible that both players can be stars in this league. NOBODY is rooting against Lin to be just a regular rotational PG.... NOBODY. So people really need to stop being so defensive.

The fact of the matter is, Lin is going to have to walk before he can run. He has major holes in his game now that need to be worked on. Most of those holes can be fixed in time to maximize his potential, but for now, the teams best chance to win lies in the hands of their best player. That's not Jeremy Lin right now.