1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone a Kenny Thomas Hater?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D. ILLEST 1, May 8, 2002.

?

Why should the Rockets trade Kenny Thomas

1. because he brings a lot to the table i.e. jumper, driving ability, rebounding, a ton of desire

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. he's just peaking, not declining i.e. Rice

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. he's just plays hard and needs to be more flashy i.e. Odom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. he hasn't been suspended for drug use i.e. Taylor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. he is more than unproven potential i.e. Griffin and Morris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. D. ILLEST 1

D. ILLEST 1 Member

Why should the Rockets trade Kenny Thomas?
    • He worked hard last summer and came to camp in great shape
    • He was consistant this season
    • He brings alot to the table i.e. jump shot, rebounding, and a ton of desire
    • Because Griffin, Rice, Taylor, or Morris, might produce next year
    • Just because you hate him
      [/list=A]

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because he is a pretty good, undersized PF who has probably hit his ceiling on a team full of good PFs. He also has a small contract, so there will be much more interest in him than anyone else on the team outside of Francis, Mobley and Griffin. If it takes shipping out Kenny to get a solid veteran for a draft pick, I do it. This team has other needs outside of a backup PF or a defensively slow, bad shooting SF.

3. Sane

Sane Member

I don't know why you get the impression we hate Kenny. I don't hate him. But I want to trade him. I think he's a great player. I wanna trade him.

It's not his fault, he's caught in a bad situation. If he doesn't mind playing behin Taylor, Griffin, RIce and T-MO, by all means, keep him here.

Just because YOU don't like those players ahead of them in the rotation, doesn't mean they're not. Rudy has those guys ahead. Do you really think at any point past 20 games neext season, KT will be better than Griffin? We're getting a SF via trade or draft, so it rules out KT playing the 3.

Great guy. Great player. Will be unhappy with his minutes. SO why keep him?

If Rice or another starter gets 20 minutes, and T-Mo gets 20. That's 40. 8 minutes at SF left to share with OT. If Mo T plays 20 minutes, and Griffin plays 20 (he'll likely play 28, but anyway) that leaves another 8.

If he'll be happy with 16 minutes, let's do it. Let's keep the guy.

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Guess you never met me. I am a Kenny lover. :cool:

However, teams don't only trade their players because they are bad. Sometimes they trade them because they are playing well. The NBA is a freaking business.

5. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

• Why don't you understand that KT's really the only tradable commodity on this team. No GM worth their salt would touch Taylor with a 5 foot poll, unless there's a lot more sweetening the deal.

Your top 3 reasons are exactly why he's a valuable trade option, especially when packaged with draft picks and such.

The fourth reason is why KT will most likely not be getting as many minutes as he had this season. Griffin has a much higher ceiling and needs the minutes to develop. Rice fit's the SF role a bit better than Kenny if we're looking to shoot open 3's. His signifigantly large contract also makes him one huge dead weight on the cap, so he may as well get use.

Taylor is going to get his minutes back and cut into KT's. To sit Taylor after giving him such a huge contract is lunacy. Rudy's gonna let him play, if for no other reason than to raise his trade value out of the basement.

As for Morris, he's a backup SF that's still developing. If KT and Tmo are competing for minutes then KT's clearly doesn't have the same role as he had this year, and I can't imagine KT would be happy with that role.

You said in another post:

Trading Kenny now, while his value is at it's highest so far, gives the Rockets a chance to pull in a more valuable veteran to fill a more glaring hole. We wouldn't have to wait as he acclimates to the NBA, and most veterans should be able to understand the system well enough to fulfill their role.

The rockets need the stability of a consistant lineup, and a reliable rotation in games. They also need to start taking advantage of their talents. Pushing the ball up the court and using their speed is the most signifigant of those things. If trading KT means we fill a bigger hole than the one he leaves, I'm sorry to see him go but it's something we need to do.