1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Dwight Howard considered 'soft'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HakeemOnlyFan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's soft because he's a physically imposing figure, who goes after the weights and rim, but not really after defenders. He yells every time there's contact. Maybe he's not really soft and he's just holding back. Or maybe he is and the body doesn't match the mind/heart. I can't really tell. He's not the kind of guy players are afraid to piss off because he won't respond on the court, other than with words.

2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Im not saying he is soft at all, but any time he tries to get physical he gets called for an offensive foul. Too easy for opponents to flop on contact and Dwight almost never gets the benefit of the doubt.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

People called Yao soft and yao was HAM.

4. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Maybe players aren't afraid to piss him off but they are definitely afraid to shoot the ball near him. He affects shots just by being near people.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yao actually started off pretty damn soft. I remember all the times he would just go up and then drop the ball in instead of hammering it home on fools. He became a lot more aggressive as his career went on and then it was tragically cut short by stupid foot injuries... :mad:

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No one in the paint with him considers him soft. However some do consider him mentally weak exhibited by his poor freethrow shooting.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This thread is stupid and people who are calling Dwight soft are even more stupid. Dud e is by nature a funny guy to be around, but I wouldnt fight him.

8. dragician

dragician Member

because he's thinks like a child.

9. dream2franchise

Dwight plays hard and plays physical. Nothing soft about his game. The seven footers out there taking charges from guards - that is soft.

What we have here is a false perception perpetuated by idiots.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone doubts he's a great defender and one of the better players in this league. You can be good and still be considered soft. The thing is, in this league guys are going to jump on you, if you have shown you don't respond to taunting/trash-talking etc with good play. It's the equivalent of a point guard not reacting to ball pressure. If a pg comes back at you with good ball handling or physically keeps you off of him, then the defender will sort of stand down...if he doesn't, then the defender will go Beverley on him.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Combination of two things...........he smiles and he hasn't won a championship.

If he didn't smile, people would think he was tough. If he had a ring, everyone would say "that's just his style". But because he smiles and doesn't have a ring, they think he's not serious and doesn't have that "killer instinct".

It's all ridiculous and has nothing to do with what he does on the court. Have you ever seen Dwight shy away from contact on either end of the floor? He gets tons of offensive fouls for leveling people on the block, and he's one of the most feared rim protectors in the game (see Goldsberry's "The Dwight Effect"). He is constantly getting hacked in the post, yet continues to demand the ball and go up strong to the hoop.

I guess some would argue that he's "immature", but that is true of the VAST majority of professionals athletes.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Would he fight though? That's the thing. When have we seen him upset? He probably could beat up on guys, given his strength/size, but that's useless, if you're not willing to take it that far. Maybe it's just "hood" mentality, but people aren't going to back off because you have great aesthetics. It's your attitude that usually says who you really are. Players aren't scared of his. Or maybe it's that they don't respect it. Maybe both.

13. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Thanks for your input but I'm seriously trying to figure out how this guy has gotten this 'soft' reputation when everything I've seen out of the dude on the court for the most part has been anything but.

This is exactly what I thought. I was curious if there was some major happening I wasn't aware of that has gotten him this reputation. People are just stupid.

Thanks for your post. Excellent.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Like when he dunked on theo ratliff and ben wallace? give me a break dude.

15. loveofthegame44

I think he needs to pull out a trick of LBJs PR play book and go villain mode and just mean mug everyone. I wonder if kobes chin thought he was soft?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would disagree...Battier smiles and didn't win a ring for a long time. He's technically soft, too, heck he'd probably admit to it, but who has called him that? Who has gone after him for it? Or David Robinson, who's probably a better on court comparison to Dwight?

I think the difference between a Dwight and a Battier is, that Battier doesn't get wrapped up with anyone. I think guys have more respect for someone who knows their limits and acts accordingly, than someone who has limits and acts like they don't. Dwight seems to have them, for whatever reason, but still wants to engage in going back and forth with guys.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Ever heard the saying even a broken clock is right twice a day? Also, his dunk on both said players took place in 2006 and 2007, hardly the start of his career. Here was an article on the very subject I am talking about.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-01-11/sports/0401110207_1_colin-pine-slam-dunk-patrick-ewing

Granted it is penned by Broussard, but the quotes are legit and that's what you should be focusing on. Yao at the start of his career, played like a p***y. He grew a pair and ended his career playing like a boss. There is no shame in that.

18. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Even before Howard came to Houston I liked his style of play and personality. He got Orlando to a finals for god sakes!
    But I don't see him as soft or a 'p***y' but others continue to refer to him as that.
    So a thought which is non basketball related. Could people be calling him these names referring more to his personal life than his basketball ability? By that I mean his baby momas and the kids he has or hasn't claimed?

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

the whole nba is soft and the refs wont let him dominate..what are you gonna do?

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think it's more of Dwight's personality that rubs others the wrong way. I remember there were reports LBJ and others on previous dream teams sorta looked down on him and treated him as such, KD calling him a p***y reaffirms this notion amongst other superstars.