1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Indiana's changing situation can solve our problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houstonhoya, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Great trade!

But if we have Scola/Martin/Granger/Lowry on the books, how does that set us up for the 2012 free agent class?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You pretty much used that room on Granger. But what were the odds you could get someone better in free agency?

Of course, you can always trade one or more of those four later if you wanted to make run at 2012 free agents.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont think a trade for Granger / Hibbert or any combination of Pacer players will make us more than marginally better.

The Pacers are not that good, and they have these 2 players. So you say: They dont have a great supporting cast. What im thinking is: By the time we give up all the players we have to to get them, im not sure the support we can put around them will be much better. In the meanwhile, we have probably used up a bunch of future cap space, limiting what we could put around them latter.

No, if we are going to make a big trade, we have to get somebody who can take their new team somewhere. Granger / Hibbert and whoever havent done that in Indy, and they are as unlikely to do it here, as they have been there.

IMO, Indiana just isnt the team for us to do a mega 2-team deal with.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Deckard, its not a fascination as much as it is a trial run. 2012 is the year I'm staying with. Getting a player like thabeet now gives the rockets a chance to evaluate him for the next yr and a half. I dont think he's regressed from the last season when gasol was down and he played 20mins consistently. Gasol is a good player and the grizz are probably going to keep him.Giviong up lee and millers contract is worth the gamble for me.

The moves set up perfet for any of those 3 free agents I mentioned. Thats best case scenerio to me or the rockets will be mired in what they're in now. If they win 40+ games with lowry,martin,granger,patterson( I prefer jason thompson) and thabeet, at least you can still sell the upside of some of those younger guys like patterson,thompson,thabeet,and even willioams. Lets face it, unless martin goes down for a long period, lee will not play any more than 20 mins a night if he's lucky.

5. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

I see your point, but I disagree. We have 12 guys who can play minutes in the NBA, when realistically NBA rotations are 8 or 9 players. So a move for a Granger or Hibbert type is about consolidating talent. After a move like that we might only have 10 guys who can play minutes in the NBA, but who cares, only 9 were going to play anyways. It's all about improving the top 9.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love the move, I'd think they'd want more for Granger but it saves them serious cash and gives them more money to chase FAgents.

Granger, to me, has to be the move at the deadline, if avilable. Hate to compare the Rockets to Adelman's Kings like so many have but he could be our Chris Webber, a good young player that once he got to a good team he was able to take his game to another level.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Pacers WILL NOT let Granger go, anywhere. These fantasy trade scenarios are amusing but also very frustrating. They remind us of how desperate BUT "stuck" the Rockets really are.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

leebigez, I see your points and can respect them, but just note that Thabeet's team will have to exercise it's 2012-13 team option on him BEFORE next season starts. So, if you want to preserve 2012 cap room, you'd have to make a decision on Thabeet in the 30-35 games he'd be here this season.

Also, don't think you slipped that recent "you're right for once" comment by me. Sigh. I guess the respect between us is mostly just coming from me. :(

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You might be right.

But remember that most people were saying exactly the same thing about Sacramento and Kevin Martin this time last year. Hell, the Mavs moved on to deal with WAS for Butler and Haywood only after being told this by the Kings. Then, Morey swooped in at the 11th hour and got Martin out of Sacramento.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I remember it differently.

There were rumors that the Kings wanted to build around Tyreke Evans, but Martin and Tyreke didn't fit together. It was also said that Martin was unhappy or depressed about his role in the organization, after coming back from a wrist injury. Martin confirmed so much, during the Rockets press conference after the trade.

11. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I think that's correct. I think Bird is going to make a "last ditch" effort to ADD some peices to Granger rather then deal him to rebuild. I have read rumors (too lazy to find them) that this might be Bird's last year as GM of the team - he's ready to walk away. If that is correct I think Bird might be looking to deal the Pacers #1 and possibily Hibbert to aquire a some players to help make a playoff push (in the weak East he might be able to).

Anyways, if the Rockets go "rebuild" would you take the Pacers #1, T.J. Ford and Hibbert for Scola, Hill and Brooks? Would the Pacers?

#111 Buck88, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The problem is, any team even considering getting rid of a borderline superstar for role players is definitely going to want our best role players. Not AB, Hill & Bud, but Pat, Twill and Lee. PLus picks. Plus cap space.

Yes, I agree we only need 9 or 10 guys that can play, but which 9 or 10 would they be?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Pacers won't. I think DM would.

14. leebigez

Well Bima, i forgot the smiley face in that quote. I actually think you're right alot and have alot of respect for the breakdowns you do. If I havent expressed that,my bad.

In terms of thabeets contract, that decision that has to be made about his status is cool. Its for about 6m if I'm not mistaken,but it would give the rockets an extra year,i think. Push come to shove, if he shows promise and the rockets move for howard, he could be used as a cheaper replacement for howard.He could be used in sign and trade if the rockets have the cap space.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If reports that IND are looking for starters, I could see

Yao + Scola + AB + Hill for Granger + Hibbert + Posey + Ford.

Looking at the minutes that Hibbert is playing so far, I can't see Ind sees him as the corner stone of the franchise. You do not reduce playing time for your corner stone.

1 person likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would do that deal, as big a fan as I am of Luis. That would address a host of our sins as a team and balance the roster.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

And set us up nicely for 2012.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would seriously be jumping up and down in front of whatever media source I first heard about the deal. Probably in my study in from of my display, trying not to spill something on my keyboard! Indiana would probably want one of our 1st round picks, as well.

#118 Deckard, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  19. leebigez

I can see alot of players being traded before Hibbert. As we've said before, they will fire the coach before they trade a big man on a rookie deal. Of course,they did just that by firing O'Brien. I can see granger being traded before hibbert,but not both in the same deal.

20. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

What about Scola, Martin, and Hill for Hibbert, Pacers #1 and T.J. Ford