1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I don't like Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xbox, Feb 19, 2003.

1. ActionJackson

ActionJackson Member

How sad some of you are on here. Do you have any CLUE as to how moronic, jealous and paranoid you sound. This is infatuation at it's worst, borderline stalker-bound. Get a grip, because I know their are some great posters at this forum, with an immense amount of knowledge.

This thread has just about lowered the average IQ of this board in half. You should be proud of yourselves...BRAVO.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Oh yes. Those kids just love that "dunk."

Isn't that what ESPN has been feeding you for the last 10 years?

3. DavidS

Great catch. Straddle the fence. The politician.
    Or would you rathre not offer any opinions of your own?

4. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Name a higher % shot. :)

5. DavidS

A jump shot that goes in, by a properly set pick.
    A player wide open lay-up, off a backdoor cut.

Rather than a breakaway dunk, off a open-court steal (ESPN highlight)...Ug, ug...

Yes, there's more to playing the game, than just dunking in your backyard.

This issue isn't whether a dunk has a higher% of going in than a shot. It's that player think that the dunk is all it takes, thus they don't know the other facets of the game, i.e. Francis.

Francis = Dunk Master
    Francis = Turnover Master

6. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Yeah I would have to agree that a jumpshot that "goes in" is a higher percentage shot than a dunk "attempt". :D

There is a good reason that the guy who leads the NBA in FG% is also the guy who leads the league in dunks.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

who cares about his personality, it isn't a poplarity contest. he is a good basketbal player, adn that is al that matters. I do not care if he fakes injury's if he wins that is al that matters.

And trying to be better than jordan is a honerable goal. I do not think he wil be better, But i think it is good that he tries to be the best player he can be.

8. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Well I am a Rockets fan first, but I won't deny it. Kobe is the best player in the NBA period. Last year and this one too.

9. DavidS

And the reason I brought up the "dunk" is because you found it funny that I didn't find Kobe or Francis interesting to watch...

And I said, the EPSN crowd loves the dunk...and the dunk alone.

And who said that he can't shoot. That isn't he issue. The issue the "better than Jordan" sweeping statements. And the "Laker" fans that actually believe it.:rolleyes:

This issue isn't that Kobe is playing hurt. It's the fact that he purposely grimaces on air, just so the media can see it.

Hell, any player (with a sore knee can do that).
    McGrady could suddenly start acting hurt, and then go, "Ok, now I"m going to turn it on and score 40 and the writers will go hog wild about how I scored 40, hurt."

Get it yet?

It's about respecting the game, honesty, character.

And to arno_ed, who said that he doesn't care if Kobe fakes injury...I guess you never heard of integrity. What's next, faking not gambling on sports, faking taking drugs, what? We want our Reality TV, but yet we don't want our sports players to be "real."

So I guess "fake" is what we really want.

10. DavidS

By the way, if you are a true Laker fan you know that Chick Hearn would agree with me.

He was the most fair broadcaster I've ever heard.

And this isn't only about Kobe. I'd saying the same thing about Francis if he did those things.

He has his own ticks, like back-board slapping and skip-to-my-lue antics that anoy me just they same.

:mad:

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

how do you know he faked it?? he may have done some over acting but he was listed as probable before the game so it's not like he just pulled it out of nowhere. and who says he even did it for the cameras. it is quite plausible he did, but who says he doesn't do it in a pick up game with no one watching.

and how does kobe make the game hard, awkward, or a struggle, unless you are referring to his defender?? he is as all around a player as you are going to find, except maybe for kg and even he doesn't have the pure scoring power of kobe.

and about espn, i've noticed this year on sports center they regularly show normal plays and even diagram them a little to show the "little things" that are going on instead of the all flash/dunks people seem to hate them so much for. and why do people hate that espn shows dunks so much. it's the most exciting play in the game and a pleasure to watch when done right, i would hope they show that instead of one of 45 16 foot jumpers that are made each game.

and jordan is not better at bball than ruth was at the other bball. no one statistically dominated their sport the way ruth did and to top it off he was an amazing pitcher and had lots of rings. i would even say gretzky dominated hockey more, but then i don't like hockey so i'll let jordan have that one.

and why can't kobe be better than jordan?? is it not possible that through the evolution of the athlete that someone will surpass jordan. why not kobe?? (and why do i always double up on question marks??) not that kornheiser is a genius but he makes the argument i would make, that kobe is more skilled at 24 than jordan was. jordan may have even been better at 24 but kobe has more skills (the turnaround jumper, etc) perhaps than jordan. i'm not saying it's necessarily true but to say it has no merit isn't true either. what did jordan do in a more wide open era that kobe doesn't do at 24.

12. Subliminal012

Subliminal012 Member

HA, ok kobe fakes injuries so he can look so great. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How many times did you see kobe in the paint? Minus the yao facial and post moves. Mobley is an average defender at best, Kobe at full strength could just blow by him. Kobe wasn't doing that. He was jacking up 20 footers instead of driving down to the lane. I guess Vitti(lakers doctor) like to lie to for a big conspiracy to make kobe look good. Kobe has microtears in the tendon of his patella. At the utha game when he sat out he would attach some machine to his knee to keep it fresh and prior that game he spent 17 hours with vitti helping his knee.

Yes kobe faked his flu too, he actually wasn't hooked up to the IV. You guys are right he actually did a chief job whne he got food poisoning. he shot 9-21 that night, that was real great. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

We need to get DavidS on the Psychic Friends Network, dude can read people's minds. :eek:

14. Subliminal012

Subliminal012 Member

The guy is a regular miss cleo;)

15. DavidS

"and how does kobe make the game hard, awkward, or a struggle, unless you are referring to his defender?? he is as all around a player as you are going to find, except maybe for kg and even he doesn't have the pure scoring power of kobe. "

When he tries to play like Jordan (driving to the basket and contorting all around, and getting the ball striped) then looking around for the first ref, with that look on his face that says, "Hey ref! Where's the foul! Don't you know who I am?! My name is Jor...uh...er, Kobe!"

When Kobe plays "his game." He's much smoother (natural).

"and about espn, i've noticed this year on sports center they regularly show normal plays and even diagram them a little to show the "little things" that are going on instead of the all flash/dunks people seem to hate them so much for. and why do people hate that espn shows dunks so much. it's the most exciting play in the game and a pleasure to watch when done right, i would hope they show that instead of one of 45 16 foot jumpers that are made each game. "

I love it when they diagram plays. But most people don't appreciate a well run play. They rather see a breakaway dunk. It's a spectacular. Nothing more.
    And how is a dunk done wrong? ESPN gets a boner on every dunk! And to your last sentence...players today make jumpers? j/k ;)

and why can't kobe be better than jordan?? is it not possible that through the evolution of the athlete that someone will surpass jordan. why not kobe?? (and why do i always double up on question marks??) not that kornheiser is a genius but he makes the argument i would make, that kobe is more skilled at 24 than jordan was.

I'll tell you why. Because Jordan was a dominating on both ends of the court, like Shaq is today. Period. For all of Kobe's "hard/amazing shots" Jordan made them a daily occurrence. For all Kobe's dazzling fade-away jumpers, Jordan did those every quarter on a Regular season, mid day game, not to mention the play-offs.

Kobe is in his 7th year. Two of which were a waste. In those years, Kobe has not shown me anything new. Nothing. All that he has done has been done better by West, Jordan and Dr. J. It's not what these guys did, it's how they did it. This is why Yao gets so much press. It's how he passed, not that he just passes.

The Rockets won a tittle in 94, yet no one outside of Houston cared. Again, it's not what you do, but how you do it.

Kobe makes a bucket with a player's hand in his face. Jordan makes circus shot with three guys hanging all over him; and he made it look easy. It's not an aberration. He did it time and time again.

Regarding Kornheiser...I've heard this from him (love that show by the way :) ). He says, "more skilled." But he doesn't validate it. What does he mean more skilled? Better % at the FT line? Better shooting %? What? Sure, the numbers reflect that. But "more skilled" doesn't equal "better overall." Hell that would mean that a lot of players are "better" than Jordan because they had excellent shooting skills, or FT % at an younger age.

Remember, Kobe wasted 2 years of his NBA career learning the game. Jordan spent his freshman, sophomore, and junior season in college learning the game. Thus, when Jordan came into the league he made an immediate impact (understatement of the year). Jordan could have done the same that Kobe did; came into the league early and struggled. So age has nothing to do with it.

By the way, Kobe is a great player. But from what I've seen he can't touch Jordan. Period! And it's the glaring facts (some tangible and some intangible) that show this. People just have bad memories. And they want so bad to replace "Jordan" that they crave for a "replica" rather than someone new that revolutionizes the game: like Yao and LeBron.

16. DavidS

Of course he does. He has to in order to embellish his play.

He can't do it on his own merits.

17. DavidS

You don't need to be able to read people minds...all you have to do is watch them, how they act, how they carry themselves, and what's important to them, to see signs of "fraud."

Kobe reeks, "fakery."

What I'm saying is for Kobe to be himself, not someone else. Let his own play define his merit.

But I have a feeling that Kobe doesn't want to take that chance, so he embellishes.

18. Subliminal012

Subliminal012 Member

If you try to play like on of the best ever you are just gay:rolleyes: . Jordan emulated people before him. What kobe does is most effective for him, be it driving to the hoop. This is what Phil jackson wants him to do. Kobe before was more into not scoring as much but getting his team more open, but phil siad i want you to be more aggressive and let the team hang on your coattails and that is what he is doing right now. Kobe gets fouled plenty of times but doesn't get the callwahts new. He doesn't have to say "jor" we allk now jordan didn't have to talk to the refs he already got the star treatment and the calls.

Kobe is still solid on both ends of the floor, last night he had 5 steals. He has good defense and has great offense, which i can't say for most offensive players or vice versa. Kobe still makes unbelievable shots, you say to yourself "that doesn't look like its going to go in" and bam it goes in. Kobe puts on a show everynight, but you don't watch him so you wouldn't know.

Kobe has played in this league 6 years. He entered the league at 18 years of age. Remember he was 18, he was very immature and came straight out of highschool it took time for him to mature and become the player he is today. Jordan on the other hand like you said, played college ball so he had progression in college. Kobe is only 24 and already he is one of the best players in the NBA nad is a 3 time champion. These two can be closley compaired at that age, i believe jordan go this career season high of 37 points. He jacked up many shots and had a good FG percentage but his game wasn't completely well rounded. Pippen stated that kobe is better then jordan at age 24. Does it make it true? Maybe not, but i would assume pippen would know more then a lot of people. Right now Kobe is leading the team and led them back into the playoffs. Not shaq, kobe.

Yao gets press because he's a 7'6 chinese rookie. I'm sure "shaq vs yao" media attention is all about his passing :rolleyes:

Yes Yao and Lebron have revoultionized the game. Lebron doesn't even play in the nba and Yao is only a rookie, ton's of potential but only a rookie. He looks like a taller tim duncan.

19. DavidS

I agree with 99% of what you said (except the "gay" part). :rolleyes:

See, I don't think you understand the gist of what I'm saying in my previous post.

20. Subliminal012

Subliminal012 Member

I watch him every game, i guess you know everything he reeks "fakery" you are right.

Kobe is being himself, what do you want him to do? He is doing whtas NEEDED for the team and what Phil wants him to do.

Jordan sure did great in the 1997 finals when had the flu. Scored 38 points. I guess he was reaking fakery and him collapsing into pippens arms was a huge act to make him look good.