1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I don't like Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xbox, Feb 19, 2003.

1. xbox

xbox Member

I have no problem with Kobe scoring 52 points and beat my beloved Rockets
    I have no (actually a little) problem with refs making majority of the calls in favor of Lakers (it's their home court anyway)
    But I do have problem with Kobe's faking his injured knee...
    His knee is not as bad as he claimed to be... not even close...
    he is fine..
    if he can play over 50 minutes last night (the most in his career)
    if he can score over 50 points last night (second highest in his career)
    if he can dunk over Yao last night (the tallest or second tallest player he ever dunked against)
    he is NOT injured (maybe a bit sore in general)....
    Injured players sit on the bench..
    Injured players cheer for their teammates
    Injured palyers play less minutes and definitely don't dunk much
    Last night, he dunked at least 4 times....

He keep trying to potrait himself as God on the court and trying to tell people that he is such a great player that he can beat you even with one leg...
    Give me a break!!!
    He has no integrety and that just made me sick...
    He used to be one of my favorite players..
    but now, he just makes me sick....
    every time i look at him on TV

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

1) This should be in NBA Dish

2) Did you not see Kobe limping last night? His knee looked bum to me.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Moving this on over to the NBA Forum... (even though he supposedly tweaked his knee playing against the Rockets).

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

He's done it before. He likes to make sure people write stories about him that reflect his "heroic" performance under the pain. A couple of years ago he pulled a "Willis Reed."

He's all about posing.

:rolleyes:

5. xbox

xbox Member

Last year game 6 against Kings
    Kobe claimed to have food poisoned...
    yeah.. for real....
    He dropped big numbers on Kings that night again (as i expected his so called "heroic" performance)...

remember, he only limped when he was on defense last night...
    but on offense (he only cares about scoring status), he NEVER limped a bit

6. DavidS

The only way we'll know for sure is if he is placed on the IR.

I'm not debating that. What I am talking about is that he "likes" the attention and uses it for contrived "fame."

He could be sore, but he make a face of pain, just because the cameras are on him and knows that the media will blow it out of proportion.

It's a PR tactic he plays on the side.

7. James23

James23 Member

seriously, he tries to copy jordan in everything. the way jordan plays, talks, dress, and others.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What about Francis when he limps? It's fake right?

:rolleyes:

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Can you PLEASE tell me why you are a Rockets fan? You seriously have some issues. I dont think anyone believes you a Rockets fan. Seriously, why not just start posting solely on a Lakers board?

If you think Kobe actually does not try to be like Jordan you are blind.

10. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

C'mon...
    The guy has been on a historical streak, and playing MVP type for the past 3 weeks.

Don't blame Kobe, or any similar athlete, for how the media decides to develop any given situation.
    Same thing with Jordan and the flu he had during game 5 against the Jazz years back.
    Yes, he had a serious case of the flu and looked as if he was going to pass out by the end of the game, but it was the media that made it seem as if he was on his death bed suffering from a form of cancer.

There's no reason to dislike Kobe because he decided to copy the game of the greatest player. We all have attempted to emulate our favorite players, Kobe really took it to another level though.
    The only real "beef" I have towards Kobe is all the other "Jordanisms" he copies: the walk, the holding of the ball with one hand away from the defender before attempting a quick move, the tongue, the speech patterns, etc.
    I just have this scene in my head of Kobe in his room with nothing but tapes, pics, paraphernalia, etc. of Jordan.
    Sort of like the scene in Ace Ventura when he goes to the house and sees the room filled with Dolphins/Football/Dan Marino stuff.
    :p

11. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Come on, this is ridiculous, give credit where it is due.
    On the fast break Francis got 2 easy points, Kobe did try
    to run in intial, then ended up dragging his leg. Well,
    you may argue this is a hollywood action, but I really doubt
    since it's 2 valuable points that Kobe fighted for all the night.

Kobe also only drove once in the regulation, which is very
    weird to his style. He may exagerate the pain at times, but
    I believe he is playing through the pain.

12. DavidS

Kobe annoys me like a Las Vegas Elvis impersonator! :mad:

"Thank you very much..."

13. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

KOBE was faking itso bad he would dunk nasty then laugh and then on D act like hes hurting and the commentators would buy into that !! hes a joke with a shot hope someone on Rocks knows how to play d and could ever gaurd him !!!

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

bill worrell called him on it the other night...he said, "how come kobe only limps during timeouts and during rests in the game?"

the commentators who were on the sidelines and up close to the game didn't buy it. i'm not buying it, either.

15. xbox

xbox Member

Kobe jsut got another 40 points last night
    after he "injured" his kneee and after a 50 plus minutes game the night before.....LOL

What a joke....

What amazed me the most is the fact that he is too stupid ti realize that he can be as big a star as anyone can imagine without all those cheesy extras...

16. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

Well, KOBE might have exaggerated a bit on court, but i don't believe he is faking all the way. A couple of arguments:

1. Kobe hurted his right knee. As a right-handed (mostly) shooter, it's not that bad if you jump shoot mostly. And it is true that KOBE seldom attacked the rim for last two games except that two overtime;

2. On offense end, it's up to you to control your move to avoid the pain. But on defense end, it's not up to you;

Anyway, so glad that Rockets and Lakers both won yesterday, so peace. Let's beat the Jazz and Suns to death.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I've always been a big Kobe guy. The only detriment to his game was that he didn't know how to lead a team by himself, as was apparent in the Lakers' start this season without Shaq. These last two games against Houston and Utah might be the culmination of the complete package...scorer, defender, and court leader. When Shaq retires, the Lakers just need to pair him up with a good scoring, defending front court player, and it's The Bulls part 2

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Did you watch the Kobe interview after yesterdays game? He was BSing about he he had to fly in after the Houston game, couldn't sleep all night and was getting treatment all night long and before the game and even at halftime.

What a freakin dumbass. Doesn't seem to hurt much when he is dunking and taking those long fadeaway bombs. And as soon as he makes it and is playing defense he starts grimmacing like a jackass.

I dont think anyone is denying he is a top five player right now, but the dude has no style of his own and is about as arrogant as they come.

19. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

he's not a Rocket...

don't blame kobe for sportsreporters who constantly compare the two

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,460029957,00.html

Constant Kobe

Laker guard puts up 40 as L.A. frustrates the sputtering Jazz offense
    By Tim Buckley
    Deseret News sports writer

A few days back, Utah's long-time nemesis played what was probably his final game in the Delta Center.

Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko (47) sticks to Lakers' guard Kobe Bryant like glue Wednesday. Bryant scored 40 points despite Kirilenko blocking three of his shots.

Keith Johnson, Deseret News
    Wednesday night, though, it seemed Michael Jordan returned to rub one more in the Jazz's face.
    In the NBA's version of the Pepsi Twist, however, it wasn't Michael doing the damage.
    It was a kid named Kobe.
    Playing like pure Jordan, Kobe Bryant scored 40 points and led the Los Angeles Lakers to a 93-87 victory that had the Jazz and a sellout crowd of 19,911 shaking their heads at both beginning and end.
    Bryant tried sounding quite humble about it all.
    "To tell you the truth . . . I don't know," he said when asked if this latest effort adds to his growing legend. "I'm just trying to help my team win."
    But Jazz coach Jerry Sloan knows better.
    Calling him "one of the greatest . . . who has played this game," Sloan lauded the 24-year-old Bryant for imposing his will on a night Lakers All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal stayed home with a sore knee.
    And it's not as if this is the first time Kobe's shined.
    Tuesday, the All-Star guard scored 52 while playing 54 minutes on his own sore knee in the Lakers' double-overtime win over Houston. Wednesday, the knee a little looser, Kobe merely surpassed Jordan and joined Wilt Chamberlain as the only two players in NBA history to score 35 or more in 11 or more straight games.
    "When you get in tough situations, he knows how to make tough shots," Sloan said of Bryant, whose 15 field goals included only one layup. "He's a terrific shooter.
    "This guy," Sloan added, "is as good as there is in the game right now on the short clock."
    Early on, actually, Kobe could score any time he wanted.
    Bryant hit his first six shots, including two 3-pointers and one 20-foot jumper that had him waggling his tongue a la Jordan. He took over late, too, scoring 11 points in the game's final five minutes, a stretch in which 28-25 L.A.'s lead went from 76-74 to 89-80.

Kobe Bryant congratulates teammate Rick Fox after the Lakers' victory over the Jazz Wednesday night.

"He continually made shots that were incredible — with pretty good defense, I thought," Jazz guard John Stockton said. "Clutch shots. Give him a ton of credit."
    "Calbert (Cheaney) was playing great 'd,' " Jazz forward Scott Padgett added. "That was just one of those things where (Kobe's) a great player, and great players make shots like that."
    "It wasn't like the defense was bad," Cheaney said. "I was contesting him. I gave him less than a foot of space. And he still hit shots."
    Kobe did cool a bit late in the opening quarter, especially after reserve swingman Andrei Kirilenko blocked three straight shots of his.
    But Sloan felt Kirilenko's block attempts ultimately were detrimental to the 32-22 Jazz, particularly when he picked up his second foul trying to post No. 4 late in the first period.
    "That put us in a tough situation," Sloan said.
    "You're not talking about a guy who doesn't know how to play. You're talking about one of the greatest players who has played this game," he added. "You get a block — but how many times does (Kobe) get open because you're trying to block the next one, and then the next one?
    "I don't think we got in his head . . . he ended up with 40 points."
    The business about blocks wasn't the only reason the Jazz were kicking themselves.
    "We didn't execute on the other end, and make (Bryant) have to chase around screens, and do some of the other things that give you a chance to guard a guy like that," said Stockton, who bemoaned the Jazz "not having faith in the offense."
    "Obviously Kobe getting 40 hurt," Padgett added, "but that isn't what beat us."
    Poor offensive execution did.
    "We'd throw the ball in to Karl (Malone), and sometimes we were able to get the cuts," Padgett said, "but we did a lot of standing around . . . clogging up the lanes, where Karl had no option but to shoot jump shots.
    "I know this is game we would have liked (Malone) to go to the hole, because I don't think anyone on their team could stop him," Padgett added. "But there really was no place to go."
    Utah saw a seven-point lead in the third quarter, 58-51 with 7:22 left in the period, disintegrate into a 10-point deficit when Kareem Rush's trey made it 74-64 with 8:20 to go.
    "We lost confidence in each other, and I think we got a little bit selfish," Sloan said. "Each guy said, 'It is my turn to take a shot,' and we would just pull up take shots for no reason."
    Malone, who scored a team-high 25, thought the Jazz "didn't deserve to win.
    "We have offensive and defensive assignments that we talk about in the huddle," he said, "and we go out two seconds later . . . and don't execute the assigments."
    Malone suggested the Jazz may have let their guard down because O'Neal was out, and Sloan said Bryant's sore knee might have led them to believe they would have an easy outing.
    In the end, though, Shaq's absence was a relative non-factor. And beating Kobe, who has 40 or more points in seven straight games now, was anything but easy.
    "You're in that kind of groove, you feel like everything can go in," Padgett said. "And it pretty much has been for him."

NOTES: At halftime the Jazz honored Hot Rod Hundley, play-by-play man since the franchise's 1974 inception in New Orleans, for calling his 2,500th game. On hand: ex-broadcast partner Jim Nantz of CBS Sports . . . The Jazz played without backup big man Tony Massenburg, who was in Virginia mourning his grandfather . . . Jazz center Greg Ostertag blocked two shots, leaving him one shy of 1,000 career blocks . . . Starting in O'Neal's place was Samaki Walker, who sprained an ankle when he stepped on Ostertag's foot on the opening tip. Walker played eight minutes, then exited . . . L.A. won the season series 3-1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail: tbuckley@desnews.com

20. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

he's not a Rocket...

don't blame kobe for sportsreporters who constantly compare the two

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,460029957,00.html

Constant Kobe

Laker guard puts up 40 as L.A. frustrates the sputtering Jazz offense
    By Tim Buckley
    Deseret News sports writer

A few days back, Utah's long-time nemesis played what was probably his final game in the Delta Center.

Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko (47) sticks to Lakers' guard Kobe Bryant like glue Wednesday. Bryant scored 40 points despite Kirilenko blocking three of his shots.

Wednesday night, though, it seemed Michael Jordan returned to rub one more in the Jazz's face.
    In the NBA's version of the Pepsi Twist, however, it wasn't Michael doing the damage.
    It was a kid named Kobe.
    Playing like pure Jordan, Kobe Bryant scored 40 points and led the Los Angeles Lakers to a 93-87 victory that had the Jazz and a sellout crowd of 19,911 shaking their heads at both beginning and end.
    Bryant tried sounding quite humble about it all.
    "To tell you the truth . . . I don't know," he said when asked if this latest effort adds to his growing legend. "I'm just trying to help my team win."
    But Jazz coach Jerry Sloan knows better.
    Calling him "one of the greatest . . . who has played this game," Sloan lauded the 24-year-old Bryant for imposing his will on a night Lakers All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal stayed home with a sore knee.
    And it's not as if this is the first time Kobe's shined.
    Tuesday, the All-Star guard scored 52 while playing 54 minutes on his own sore knee in the Lakers' double-overtime win over Houston. Wednesday, the knee a little looser, Kobe merely surpassed Jordan and joined Wilt Chamberlain as the only two players in NBA history to score 35 or more in 11 or more straight games.
    "When you get in tough situations, he knows how to make tough shots," Sloan said of Bryant, whose 15 field goals included only one layup. "He's a terrific shooter.
    "This guy," Sloan added, "is as good as there is in the game right now on the short clock."
    Early on, actually, Kobe could score any time he wanted.
    Bryant hit his first six shots, including two 3-pointers and one 20-foot jumper that had him waggling his tongue a la Jordan. He took over late, too, scoring 11 points in the game's final five minutes, a stretch in which 28-25 L.A.'s lead went from 76-74 to 89-80.

Kobe Bryant congratulates teammate Rick Fox after the Lakers' victory over the Jazz Wednesday night.

"He continually made shots that were incredible — with pretty good defense, I thought," Jazz guard John Stockton said. "Clutch shots. Give him a ton of credit."
    "Calbert (Cheaney) was playing great 'd,' " Jazz forward Scott Padgett added. "That was just one of those things where (Kobe's) a great player, and great players make shots like that."
    "It wasn't like the defense was bad," Cheaney said. "I was contesting him. I gave him less than a foot of space. And he still hit shots."
    Kobe did cool a bit late in the opening quarter, especially after reserve swingman Andrei Kirilenko blocked three straight shots of his.
    But Sloan felt Kirilenko's block attempts ultimately were detrimental to the 32-22 Jazz, particularly when he picked up his second foul trying to post No. 4 late in the first period.
    "That put us in a tough situation," Sloan said.
    "You're not talking about a guy who doesn't know how to play. You're talking about one of the greatest players who has played this game," he added. "You get a block — but how many times does (Kobe) get open because you're trying to block the next one, and then the next one?
    "I don't think we got in his head . . . he ended up with 40 points."
    The business about blocks wasn't the only reason the Jazz were kicking themselves.
    "We didn't execute on the other end, and make (Bryant) have to chase around screens, and do some of the other things that give you a chance to guard a guy like that," said Stockton, who bemoaned the Jazz "not having faith in the offense."
    "Obviously Kobe getting 40 hurt," Padgett added, "but that isn't what beat us."
    Poor offensive execution did.
    "We'd throw the ball in to Karl (Malone), and sometimes we were able to get the cuts," Padgett said, "but we did a lot of standing around . . . clogging up the lanes, where Karl had no option but to shoot jump shots.
    "I know this is game we would have liked (Malone) to go to the hole, because I don't think anyone on their team could stop him," Padgett added. "But there really was no place to go."
    Utah saw a seven-point lead in the third quarter, 58-51 with 7:22 left in the period, disintegrate into a 10-point deficit when Kareem Rush's trey made it 74-64 with 8:20 to go.
    "We lost confidence in each other, and I think we got a little bit selfish," Sloan said. "Each guy said, 'It is my turn to take a shot,' and we would just pull up take shots for no reason."
    Malone, who scored a team-high 25, thought the Jazz "didn't deserve to win.
    "We have offensive and defensive assignments that we talk about in the huddle," he said, "and we go out two seconds later . . . and don't execute the assigments."
    Malone suggested the Jazz may have let their guard down because O'Neal was out, and Sloan said Bryant's sore knee might have led them to believe they would have an easy outing.
    In the end, though, Shaq's absence was a relative non-factor. And beating Kobe, who has 40 or more points in seven straight games now, was anything but easy.
    "You're in that kind of groove, you feel like everything can go in," Padgett said. "And it pretty much has been for him."

NOTES: At halftime the Jazz honored Hot Rod Hundley, play-by-play man since the franchise's 1974 inception in New Orleans, for calling his 2,500th game. On hand: ex-broadcast partner Jim Nantz of CBS Sports . . . The Jazz played without backup big man Tony Massenburg, who was in Virginia mourning his grandfather . . . Jazz center Greg Ostertag blocked two shots, leaving him one shy of 1,000 career blocks . . . Starting in O'Neal's place was Samaki Walker, who sprained an ankle when he stepped on Ostertag's foot on the opening tip. Walker played eight minutes, then exited . . . L.A. won the season series 3-1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail: tbuckley@desnews.com