1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Houston should/would be a huge destination for FA this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, Mar 10, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Forgot the Celtics most recent title...Garnett.

2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I still dont get the mantra of "go to NY if you want glitz, glamour and fame".

The last Knick I remember by name was Pat Ewing, and I dont remember the last time they won a championship or any of their players had more notoriety than a Laker, Celtic, or even a Cavalier.

If the draw is playing in the garden, I guess[/], but even then, EVERY nba player gets to play in the garden a few times a year.

3. redao

redao Member

Houston will never be a huge destination of FA unless Yao could change his age to 25 and be healthy.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You stole my thunder....

Injuries happen. Injury-prone players? What is the best/worst that can be said about them, since after all, it is not their fault?

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Rockets have many role player that would look nice around a star.

6. valorita

valorita Member

With free-agency coming up and Morey's m.o. being not to over pay players beyond their value, I was wondering what the true estimated value of each player on the team is. My guess would be something like this:

Brooks ($7 mil)
    Lowry ($4 mil)
    Martin ($9 mil)
    Budinger ($3 mil)
    Battier ($4 mil)
    Ariza ($5 mil)
    Scola ($8 mil)
    Hayes ($2 mil)
    Jeffries ($1 mil)
    Hill ($2 mil)
    Andersen ($ 1 mil)
    Yao ($14 mil)
    Taylor (minimum)
    Conroy (minimum)

*The values above were based off the assumption that a MLE approx of $5 mil is representative of a player who is average at that position. You might disagree with the actual numbers but my main objective was to see how much each player was worth relative to the rest of the team/league.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Well you can scratch off Wade and Lebron, bcuz both of them are looking for money.

D-Wade already won a ring (am not saying he doesn't want to win anymore) but IMO he'll be looking for the most attractive contract this season.

I don't think we have a chance of getting Lebron bcuz of all the luxury issues and stuff like that..but if Daryl "the wizard" morey pulled his magic, u never know.

that leave to Joe Johnson, CB4, and Amare.

I don't think Morey will be looking at Joe johonson, bcuz we already have K-mart, and quite frankly I don't think he deserve a huge contract.

and then it comes down to Amare and Bosh, IMO one of these two will be in the lineup next summer, both of them are one of the greatest PF in the league , but I really don't like Amare that much, the guy never play defense.

so the winner is chris Bosh, I think he'll be a rocket next season, Great PF, unselfish, team player, he can shoot anywhere around the basket, great passer, great leaping ability not to mention great Rebounder. I really like CB4 I hope he'll be here next year.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I tend to agree that Bosh is the only realistic target of the big S/T names if Lebron couldn't be pursuaded(and I think it's highly doubtful). Wade wants the money(he's going to NY) and Joe Johnson is older and isn't that much better than Martin as the poster before me noted.

Realistically though, Houston could really be set for a long while with this roster - especially if NY doesn't land a big FA and we get to use their high lottery picks. The roster as it is now, only had a little fat to trim(Jeffries comes to mind) and otherwise it's pretty solid with a lot of potential to grow into the future with some lottery picks. The only downside is there is almost too much talent on this team - guys who all deserve 15-20 minutes a night at the minimum but won't be getting it. The Yao/Scola/Hayes/Anderson/Hill rotation is bit of a log jam to say the least...especially with Camby out there saying he wouldn't mind closing his career out in Houston(can you say Mutumbo 2.0?).

...anyway, back to point - I do think this is a desireable free agent destination for the player who truly wants to win it all - a plug and play contender if you will...no state tax, a max offer - that's a lot of money to turn down in addition to being on a deep playoff team and all the endorsements that go along with that(not to mention the spike in popularity in China). Lebron is already big so that stuff isn't as much of a pull, Wade may consider it, but I'm not sure he has the ego to share a billing with Yao. After that, Bosh is the only guy worth it and I think he has to consider it....

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bill Cartwright, Horrace Grant and Dennis Rodman were all all star players. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Jordan and Pippen were the only decent players on those teams.

10. Francis 4 ever

The bulls had some of the best defensive powerforwards ever to play

11. thesaint

thesaint Member

Rockets really dont have a bad team next year, if healthy. Yao, Scola, Battier, Martin, Brooks. Bench Hill, _______, Budinger, Ariza, Lowry.

Scola is a real good PF and very underrated imo. Martin will fit well with Yao and will be a great compliment. Brooks will just get better but I think Lowry is much better starter than Brooks and has better court vision but Brooks should start to get offense going. Killer 3 pt shooters when Yao is double teamed in Martin n Brooks.

I think Rockets in FA, if possible, pick up a starting SF n let Battier come off bench. Also boost the bench with decent Center n PF. I dont expect Rockets to go for a big name FA.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Michael Jordan isn't human, so he doesn't count.

13. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

the detroit pistons won without a great center. rasheed wallace was a star, don't get me wrong, but he definitely wasn't on par with how howard gasol duncan and yao r now.

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Rasheed Wallace wasn't the starting Center, it was Ben Wallace. Rasheed was a power foward!

15. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm just gonna put it here. Between Battier and Jarad J they will be a combine 12-13 million of expiring contracts next season. I wonder what Morey has planned.

16. Seth

Seth Member

Not to wake you up. But the only reason FA have to come here has a name and he is YAO.
    The money Yao can bring to any players pocket with china related endorsements is insane by NBA standars, only comparable maybe to LA or New York.
    That's our main asset when going to lure free agents. If he is ready to play, then the endorsement will be ready to go for any player coming here.
    Problem is, that will attract more money first guys than winners, but is better than having nothing.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

What's a bigger stage than LA or NYC?

China.

18. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Having been back to China twice this past year and seen how popular the Rockets are over on the other side of earth, I say whoever plays alongside Yao WILL get mad endorsements from this newly-emerged world economic superpower.... But name wise Daryl Morey would definitely have to go into consideration along with Yao Ming in FA's heads, lol.

19. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Rodman, not only rebounded the ball on both ends, but played exceptional defensive, brought it every game with high energy and entertainment, enforcer, and screwed with everybody's head including his own sometime.....it was so funny to watch him get into Mailman head and frustrate him.....

20. RyanB

RyanB Member

The Bulls had Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman
    they played against tough big men but they had an incredible defense
    Detroit also in the 90's and 2004
    so you need a big guy to win a champ
    Garnett is a 4/5
    plus Davis is a tough defender too