1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Houston is a good fit for Andre Drummond

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Trade up and select Andre Drummond?

1. Yes

85.1%
  2. No

14.9%
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

jopatmc, I think your angling for a Howard/D-Will combo in Houston has turned you from a rationale, well-reasoned poster into somewhat of a zealot.

Take another look at your quote. That sounds like something that [one of a dozen posters you could never stand] would say. And now that's you.

The fact is, if Dwight came out publicly and said that he absolutely, 100% was going to sign with the Brooklyn Nets no matter what and was fully prepared to take the 4-year deal with lower raises in order to be a Net, then I'm guessing that would give the Nets better than "a snowball's chance in Hades".

The Nets ALWAYS had a better trade package in place for Carmelo Anthony, yet the Nuggets ended up sending Melo to the Knicks, largely because that was the team Melo wanted. Sure, they ended up fleecing the Knicks due to James Dolan being a moron and ignoring Donnie Walsh's advice not to overpay, but the truth is . . . they never needed to do that.

Again, I'm not arguing that the Rockets don't have better trade assets to offer Orlando right now than Brooklyn does, because I actually AGREE with you on that point.

But you're quickly becoming so zealous for this "cause" of yours that it is making you much easier for those who don't know you better to simply stop reading your posts and lumping you in with so many other posters whose opinions aren't worth--as Jim Mora would say--"diddly-poo".

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

His freethrow percentage really worries me, but Dwight's is not a hell of a lot better. Maybe whoever worked with Chuck could make headway with the guy.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

At this point you gotta gamble on someone to help you. Go for it, he has all the tools.

Worst that could happen is he becomes T-Will part 2. At least you try.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bima,

If Orlando decides to trade Dwight, it won't matter what he proclaims. We were going to trade for him at the deadline last year and try to convince him to stay in less than half a season. Now, we're looking at a whole season. We'll make the same trade we made then and may be willing to give even more.

You can call me a zealot if you want to. I've been very clear about acquiring Dwight and Dwill. I know the odds are against us doing so. I've been very clear that I think Orlando is going to convince him to sign an extension. So, I think our odds are less than 50/50. However, if they do decide to trade Dwight, then we have as good a chance as any. And the Nets have almost NO CHANCE of trading for him. They just don't have as good assets as we do or as other teams do.

All this talk and rumors right now is just that. It really means nothing. It is just everybody doing their homework, putting out stuff, seeing what floats to the surface. And it's guys like Morey and Hennigan and Colangelo and Petrie getting prepared.

The only "cause" is to keep facts straight. Am I rooting for a Dwight trade? Sure. So are you. All I'm saying is nothing goes down until the Dwight situation is settled and you have to consider almost all rumors you hear about the Rox in that light. Morey is going to hold out for acquiring Dwight as long as possible. And that is probably until Thursday. So, the cause is to keep the focus where it should be and to keep a proper understanding on what this team is trying to do. Right now, goal #1 for this team is to acquire Dwight. As crazy as it sounds. That is the player acquisition goal at the moment.

1. I'll be shocked if Morey is interested in Drummond.

2. The Nets have virtually no chance of trading for Dwight.

3. Prove me wrong.

#24 jopatmc, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Drummond seems like he doesn't want to play basketball. Trade asset only, before the idiot GMs catch on that he's Thabeet Jr.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Don't forget that the Dream lives in Houston and loves to teach big men who can make a difference in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  7. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Good God, we hear this all time time -- for Hill, for Thabeet, for everyone. There is nothing, based on those results, that indicate that Houston is somehow to big men as Phoenix is to chronically injured players.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Dream is only in Houston once/twice a year. He spends most of the year in Jordan.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

If Drummond doesn't want to learn, it doesn't matter who's teaching him.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

so is there a 50/50 chance that drummond could be thabeet 2.0

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt that anyone could be as bad as Thabeet.

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

via twitter.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Give the kid three goals as a rookie: play defense, rebound, and block shots.

Don't worry about scoring, but dunk it when you get the chance.

Outside of dunking the ball, how far has Howard's offense developed?

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

deandre jordan clone?

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think Howard's offense still sucks, it's his athleticism and defense that's making him elite.

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

This is a very good point. If you limit what he needs to focus on in his first year he could be a defensive beast. Don't expect too much out of his offensive game, but get his defence to where you can keep him in late in games. The offensive stuff will come in the next 2-3 years with training camps and working with McHale.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Forget Noah get Drummond!

18. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

LOL at anyone who says no. Do you want to stay medicore???? We need change. This guy could be the next Dwight. But, we have McHale and maybe Hakeem to teach him. Superstar potential bigs don't grow on trees.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder what would have happened with the Melo situation if the Nets didn't give a damn about Melo's threat to leave for the Knicks as free agent, and offered their "best package" (i.e. the package of Favors and picks that they sent to Utah for Deron) to Denver for Melo anyway.

Melo's strong preference for the Knicks mattered, but only to the extent that it scared off a bidder who would offer more to "rent him" than the Knicks could offer to "buy him."

I think Dwight Howard's situation is different and that his personal preference matters less than it did in the Melo situtation because there are teams like Houston who are willing and able to "rent" Howard than the Nets are able to offer to "buy" Howard. (Again, it really shows how badly the Nets screwed themselves with the Gerald Wallace trade).

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's exactly right. Different situation with Dwight. Because there is a team willing to take the chance.