1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why haven't we resign Josh Smith yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jul 7, 2015.

1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

What's the hold up? Im just afraid we will let this guy slip away from us and sign with the kings or clips. I like the chemistry he has with dwight and we can keep building from it.

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Guess there's no sense of urgency to right now.

3. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

We are letting him find the best offer and then he'll bring it to us and we can negotiate from there.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We're just waiting to see how much McDaniels costs, then throwing the rest of the MLE to Josh.

He isn't signing with anyone else either - so maybe there is a plan?

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It is naive to assume that he will bring it to us. The Rockets will have no leverage if he gets an offer that they cannot match.

6. malakas

malakas Member

He is ufa and can sign whenever he wants with whomever he wants and we dont have the right to match anything.

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If we keep McDaniels I strongly believe Ariza will be traded at some point this year....Brewer will not due to Mchales love affair with him. We have too much money invested in the SF position....plus ur boy Decker the second coming of Keith Van Horn.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Josh is trying to find a better contract than the 2.5mil Morey is offering him. He is struggling as all the interested parties only have vet minimums or room exceptions. Morey is unlikely to use the MLE to keep him so Morey is happy to wait for Josh to accept the 2.5mil 1 year offer from the Rockets and try again next season when there is a BOATLOAD of money available.

I don't think Morey will pay more than the 2.5mil. In the end it comes down to whether Josh gets offended by the offer.

My current speculation is that we're waiting for Josh to accept the 2.5 mil then we trade a PF (Jones or DMO, likely Jones) and Papa/Prigs for a PG (Lawson? Rubio?)

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

my guess is houston is waiting to see if it needs to use the mle or whether they can trade for what they want. Josh is probably in no rush, if there was ever a circumstance where i could see an under the table deal, it's one related to a set-off

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Because Morey failed to find a trade partner for Jones.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

Josh is waiting to see if the MLE will be available for him I guess. If we sign KJ then I think the 2.5m non bird offer is all that will be available for him.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's my guess. I certainly hope that's the case. The problem is we've waited so long that even if Josh winds up accepting the 2.5 mil we can offer him, we now have no one to spend the MLE on since all the available PGs(other than Lin who sucks) have been picked up by other teams.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the pen is too heavy so we're going sloooooooooooow

14. R=$

R=$ Member

Waiting on him to make 3 free throws in row before moving on! :mad:

15. mightybosstone

As others have said, I think all of Morey's moves right now are waiting on what happens with McDaniels. Once that situation is figured out, Houston can figure out the best offer for Smith and they can negotiate from there. But I agree this has taken longer than expected.
    I just wish that if McDaniels was going to sign an offer sheet somewhere else, he would hurry up and do it so we can get the waiting game started. Because, knowing Morey, he'll probably take the full three days to figure out his options before making a final decision.

16. basketballholic

That won't get it done for Rubio. Minny wants to go young. You'll have to give them Capela, plus some combo of SF assets. Either Ariza converted to a future first rounder, or perhaps Brewer converted to a pick, plus probably McDaniels after he re-signs (which means a Rubio trade probably won't happen until after Dec. 15th if it includes McDaniels OR possibly we let Minnesota sign McDaniels to an offer sheet and take him).

I think a trade that could get Minny's attention concerning Rubio would be if they could get our 2016 first rounder, Capela, McDaniels, and Jones. You could throw in Kostas' deal to make the math work now. Or you could wait until Dec 15th and put Bev in the trade to make it work. Minny could then decide whether to keep Bev or move him somewhere else for a youngster and/or a pick.

Whatever the case, to get Rubio you're going to have to give up youngsters. They are building young, trying to develop their core (Wiggins/KAT/Tyus/others) together over the next 4 seasons and then getting them to sign long-term. So Jones plus an expiring isn't going to get it done for Rubio. They'll want multiple youngsters/picks.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Smoove wants to see if he can get something better.

Plus, Morey is calling in sick the last few days. The idea of acquiring Rubio, which he overheard from some intern, made him ill.

18. hakeemthagreat

No way Rubio is worth that much. What exactly are we getting back? A pg with great court vision, but couldn't throw a rock in the ocean smh. He's simply not worth it. If Minnesota asked for Capela I'd immediately hang up and block any calls from them. No way i m getting through a season of Rubio bricking uncontested jumpshots

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no pt in talking rubio with bbholic. he'll argue for him without any obvious bias. he thinks rubio has no weakness and blames rubio's teammates for many of his faults that we know he has. Rockets won't go after rubio though. not worth it. I'd definitely rather have Bev over rubio. Said that from day 1. Rubio's weaknesses just don't fit with this team.

20. LandryMegaBeast

frontcourt is crowded right now. doubt we sign smith unless one of jones/dmo is traded