1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why has Greg Smith been frozen out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Jan 4, 2013.

1. hahachui

hahachui Member

LOW IQ:p

2. Yak

Yak Member

I was sitting above the tunnel during our last home game and I heard Lin say "you will be iso-ed by us" to Greg when they were walking out. Greg was shocked, but bit his lip and didn't say anything back...

1 person likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol why does every things got to be part of a conspiracy that leads to a trade. Somebody signed, trade coming, somebody released, trade coming, some one called up from d league, trade coming, some getting or not getting norm mins? must be showcasing or stashing on the bench for upcoming trade :p

4. Viola

Viola Member

liability on the D end.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Greg Smith went undrafted for a reason.

The team may be keeping some information on him confidential as they deal with him internally.

7. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

I'm not a bb expert but what did Lin mean by that statement.

8. Roxs

Roxs Member

If we're going to continue the speculation train, perhaps he was injured?

All kidding aside, I learned to stop questioning Mchale's sub patterns -- not because he's great at them, but he has many questionable sub patterns which he never fully (and perhaps never truthfully) explains in his post game interview.

9. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

His birthday is on the eight, four days from now.

He is probably resting for the upcoming party.

10. iohudave

iohudave Member

This. Same thing cross my mind too.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, the last few games he played in, every time I saw him on the court I felt like he either stunk the place up or got 2 fouls in less than 2 minutes.

Also, I love the lineup with Patterson at the 5.

12. AbrahamLincoln

Patterson is just better. Smith can't hit the 3 so the spacing isn't there when Smith is on the floor. If only Patterson could rebound. Even though I think Patterson is getting minutes because hes better than Smith I also think he will likely be traded by the deadline for a pick. Someone said Delfino may be moved, no I don't think so. This offense needs knock down shooters. He's the only legit one we have on this squad. Delfino is key to what we do. He will stay put I would think.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Because McHale has a boner for Patterson. When he has to choose between a center and Patterson, he can't resist going to Patterson. Finished the game at center last time, finished it again this time.

Patterson is like a Rockets fan troll.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gregory is a G and a boss.... he'll survive

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think this game was played small ball and Patterson was playing center and I guess he was doing well this game as well as stretching out the floor for Harden to work.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Patterson at the 5 gives this team a ton of options on defense. He's the team's best PnR defender, and he's the only big man that can handle himself a little bit one-on-one against guards.

What do most teams do on offense at the end of games? They try to shove the Pick and Roll down your face. And what's the best way to stop the PnR? Switch every screen.

So, McHale puts Patterson at the 5, Parsons at the 4, and Delfino at the 3... and it allows this team to switch every screen without creating any really bad mismatches.

Unfortunately, it does lead to less rebounding, but if the other team is running pick and rolls all the time, it means they are taking your Center away from the basket, which means less size down low to rebound anyways.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Went to the Austin Toros game tonight to watch them play the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and we (RGV/Rockets) have recently signed Hassan Whiteside. A lot of folks were high on him coming out of college. Also brought in Vernon Macklin.

Whiteside didn't get many minutes but he looks to have really filled out (listed at 260) and very athletic for a big guy. Ran the floor well and was a defensive presence down low. Macklin looked solid. The starter was Tim Ohlbrecht a German player who looked pretty good.

Terrence looked okay, but seemed like he has fatigue issues. He waived to the bench several times to sub him out and he was completely gassed. Not to mention their offense has him hanging out at the three point line way too much.

It may be completely unrelated to issues with Smith, but that is several new big bodies they have brought in recently.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Get DD out of rehab stat! His darlin' dun come back to him...

19. tburris872

tburris872 Member

Greg Smith

If he's not with the program, the Rockets need to get rid of him; they have enough dead weight with Royce already.

20. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Gosh, Jeremy really needs to stop the bullying.
    Today he snapped again at PPat when he didn't catch his unexpected pass and you could clearly read his lips said "I liked it better when you were injured! :mad:", PPat just hung his head and didn't say anything back...