1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why has Barkley not sued the Rockets over that $3 million? Why have the Rockets not sued for libel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Apr 25, 2016.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if you hate the rockets every year, then you will inevitably be right if we ever have an underperforming year.

i'm not sure how pointing out a time when barkley was wrong lends credence to him being right about us. basically last year he thought the rockets weren't good on defense. people would point out we were top 10 in defensive efficiency. he would say something bad about analytics (as if defensive efficiency is an advanced stat) and say we weren't actually good at defense. that's just called being wrong. his eye test said we weren't good, the only thing that matters in terms of being a good defense - defensive efficiency - said we were good.

the whole team deciding to not try this year doesn't somehow retroactively make barkley right. i guess the milwaukee bucks weren't good at defense last year, either, since they aren't good this year.

the thing is there seems to be a difference between being called out and what barkley and most of the media seem to be doing to the rockets this year. it's like they all take it as personally as clutchfans. we're emotionally and/or financially invested in this team. we can hate them. the media is mostly just to report or analyze what happens. but they seem to actually be happy that we suck. like we've offended them as the first team to ever not play defense or not win our predicted number of games.

i don't completely get it. chicago and washington were similarly disappointing this year (especially chicago since most people thought they would be 2nd in the east), but no one seems to go out of their way to criticize those teams. sure, if they're on tv, they'll say it's been a disappointing season and they're not giving full effort, but it doesn't seem to be the onslaught of criticism the rockets get from every source, whether they're the game that's on or not, or even if the rockets win, or basically whatever happens. it's just a little strange.

2. Sanity2disChaos

How many of you lie in public about money you are owed????

Y'all are comical.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Probably something along those lines. Seriously doubt there was any prearranged amount. Barkleys expectations didn't match our contract offer.

Bottom line though is that he ended up agreeing to accept our 1 year contract so any other expectations are out the window at that point.

Regardless of what he wanted or expected, he was offered a 1 year $9m contract and he agreed to it and was paid $9m. He isn't owed anything, he was paid his full contract amount. If $9m was such a terrible thing then he shouldn't have signed the contract.

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yes you're correct.... But at the same time his analysis about the Rockets was dead on and I believe this was after game 2.

Basically, if they want to shut CB up and prove him wrong then play as a team and win games... But more often then not, this team seem to prove him right.

T_Man

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Morey and Tad Brown would be better off ignoring Barkley. He gets the mic every night and will always have the last word.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I do find it comical that Barkley's intentions were incredibly clear at the time...

Barkley couldn't beat the Rockets, so he joined them. He wasn't interested in money, so he was "selfless" to make the team better. He was supposedly a "team player", but in reality, it was clearly about a championship and personal achievement.

Now that he never cashed in and won a championship, he hates the Rockets and it's about money.

Also, I should add a comment about how absurd it is that he never used to shut up about "his friend" Jordan, yet joined up with "his enemy" Hakeem. Now it's clear that Jordan thinks Barkley is a loser and they aren't "close friends" any more.

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

If Tad Brown wanted to cause Barkley to lose it on national television, he would just say, "Barkley is bitter. He never won it all, so he's looking for other people to blame it on. He joined the Rockets thinking it would be an easy ticket to a championship, but he found out you actually have to earn it. If he managed his personal finances better, he wouldn't need to ask the Rockets for extra spending money."

8. francis 4 prez

has morey said anything to barkley? the only tweets i've seen mentioned were the ones complaining about dirty plays by the warriors.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sorry but wgas? :confused:

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

last year.

11. francis 4 prez

well if barkley was ragging on our 2nd seeded team that made the WCF, wouldn't that kind of prove he was just hating us to hate us?

he doesn't hate the warriors off the court because i guess he doesn't think they owe him 3 million dollars, but look at him "analyzing" them on the court. guaranteeing their 73-9 win team wouldn't win in the 2nd round after hating them all last season when it was clear they were the best team in the league. it's clear rational thought or in-depth analysis isn't a big part of why he hates on certain teams.

and now i've used up my yearly quota of the words hate/haters/hates on.

#71 francis 4 prez, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rebuilding didn't do anything.
    I would have liked dream to be happy in his last years as a rocket.

I'll accept a crap season for everything he did.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

When you have $17 million stolen from you, you don't want to hand over another $3 million in the process.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gentleman's agreement?

Barkley still mocking Houston though

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley was a key reason the rockets made the wcf.

How much did we pay harden and Howard to do this?

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Too much, and they're bums.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ImRydfS6iTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While Barkley may or may not have his own agenda, you have to face the fact that the Rockets are just not that well liked of a team. The media has picked up on that.

Star player shows up out of shape due to offseason partying, then is a key reason why the coach gets fired. 2nd star player is regressing faster and faster, and has never universally been liked due to similar coach firing maneuvers prior, along with forcing trades/team hopping.

They don't play defense because they often don't care enough to. If anything, with more Dwight this year, they should have been better defensively. Why were they not? You take that reason and multiply it by 1000, and you then see why there is a negative media bias currently.

The Rockets need to be better. They need to win and win consistently (including playoff series). You can't go to the WCF one year, and almost miss the playoffs the following year (largely due to effort/discipline issues), and expect respect and accolades.

19. francis 4 prez

maybe the media has picked up on that, but they also are that. it's like a dogpile that i've rarely seen. even the kings usually have to do something to get mocked. it's like the media just searches for things with the rockets. even on all the podcasts i've been listening to, even some of them are somewhat picking up on the over the top rockets narrative (well, at least the podcasts that aren't continuing the dogpile :) ).

no one's arguing for respect and accolades. just for the media to not be a clutchfans thread. the media typically doesn't have any personal stake in any team. it's not that they mention we don't play defense or have chemistry (which is obviously inarguable because we all see it), it's like they take glee in it like they're a fan of a rival team or something. like i mentioned, why don't the bulls seem to get this treatment? they were equally disappointing, certainly in part due to lack of defense and effort. we've just become this weird lightning rod. maybe it's just the over the top dwight treatment seeping to the rest of the organization.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden was hurt.

Also every single NBA player does leisure activities in the offseason, that's the point of having one after all.

Harden usually balls in the offseason and didn't get to because of his injury. Probably had a lot to do with the start of his season.

But I think francis made a good point. This isn't the first time a team had a disappointing season. Pelicans, Wiz, Bulls all are pissed about their seasons this year yet no one goes out and says they gave up and are quitters and losers.

I don't understand the narrative. The Rockets were expected to go 5 games with GSW...they do...and still get trashed. They won game 3 and were in game 4 until the point where the Warriors started to drain threes at an unprecedented clip.

I don't think any one here is demanding respect but they sure love to pile on when the Rockets lose.

I mean I've seen people joke about Harden resting on the sideline. WTF were they supposed to do? Have him uselessly playing in a blowout when there is a game 5 to be played still?

I just don't get it. The Warriors are supposed to be this good and a 5 game series was the best thing we could expect so I don't get this surprise that the Rockets aren't dominating the Warriors or something.

I think a lot of times people mistake not trying for just sucking.

I think the rockets just suck more times than not. They are always out of position so it looks like they gave up a layup when it's really just being out of position over and over again.