1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the Texans secondary suck?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, everything on this team is fine except for that secondary. The defensive line has had its problems, but they have come through when we needed the stop. But the secondary continously gets burned by each QB they play (except OAK). The stats of each QB prove it:

Week 1 - D. Brees - 17/24, 209 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

Week 2 - J. Harrington - 18/25, 176 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

Week 3 - T. Green - 21/30, 224 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT
    (Marcus Coleman was in the right place at the right time)

Week 4 - K. Collins - 21/38, 237 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INT
    (The only good game by the secondary....)

Week 5 - D. Culpepper - 36/50, 396 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INT

What needs to be done?

#1 Rockets34Legend, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Because Aaron Glenn is washed up and he is our #1 CB. Antrell Rolle should be high on the Texans wish list.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Didn't see the game yesterday, but in the games that I have seen we do not put much sustained pressure on the quarterback.

4. lushmonk

lushmonk Contributing Member

Beacause you can only cover receivers for so long when there is no pass rush. The question should be , why does our D-line suck.

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Gary Walker is washed up; hasn't done a damn thing all year. The pass rush has been inconsistent at best.

Aaron Glenn is showing his age and we've got a rookie cornerback on the other side.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is the answer. If the D-line/OLB's can't ever get to the QB, there is only so long a corner can stick with a WR, especially one named Randy Moss.

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I was in the end zone section (three rows up) and Marcus Robinson dropped the easiest touchdown pass I've ever seen (well it was the first one of the two easiest touchdown drops I've ever seen). Simmons blew, I mean BLEW (Jamison-esque) coverage and Robinson wide-open, dropped the ball on about the Texans two. It was horrible coverage - a blown assignment.

IMHO, with the all the turnover in safeties (Brown, Earl, Simmons), the guys don't have a lot of confidence as a group, in each other. They haven't been on the field long enough to gel as a group.

Simmons block last week was spectacular, no question, but this week he looked a bit like a dear in the headlights when a) dropping into pass coverage and b) when Culpepper was bearing down on him while performing the tuck n' run.

And yesterday - Damn those Viking receivers are TALL!

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aaron Glenn isn't completely washed up, but he's no longer a shutdown corner. The defense has been operating under the assumption that he's a shutdown corner which has left him exposed.

The Texans need Dunta to be the shutdown corner so they swap positions. Glen Earl needs to step in to be the strong safety for this team to be better at coverage. E Brown is good in run support, but leaves room to be desired in coverage.

A pass rush with only sending four guys would be nice. Now, the Texans have to send six to ensure (ensure maybe a little strong a word here) the QB is pressured. I did like the Dunta rushes near the redzone against the Vikings even though for the most part weren't effective since the Vikes still scored a TD on the drive I'm thinking about.

Foreman has been okay against the running game this year, but I never see him in pass plays on TV. Is it because he provides great coverage or is he just never there to make play? A player like Zach Thomas or Derrick Johnson at Texas would be nice as they are good at getting in the passing lane the QB wants giving the pass rush that extra time plus being dynamite against the run. The pass rush must still seal the deal though.

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I think the Texans defense was really hit hard when we released that badass Matt Stevens.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

LOL :D

11. Rockets34Legend

But we already have a tattoo freak on the team (Babin). At least he can play.

12. MykTek

MykTek Member

honestly i think it's the corners are too small.... last yr, coleman played opposite glenn and he complimented him well b/c they are totally different players..... robinson is a good player but he's too similar to glenn... so the bigger recievers are taking advantage of them I think....and they are being more physical.....

another note, glenn is the only returning starter in the secondary that is playing the same position as last yr.... coleman is learning to be a safety, robinson is a rookie, and the other safety position is unsure due to injury.... so u can't blame them for having bad games....

I personally think the pass rush has been better this yr, the linebackers are attacking much better, esp. Wong, the switch to the other side has done him well...and Babin has been good...foreman and sharper are the same.... the D line... no comment... besides Robaire Smith, I haven't heard from them all season....

13. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

AMEN! That's my draft wish right there. Although I'd imagine that we'll probably spend it on a trench guy (which is a need).

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't have an exact quote, but I believe it was Capers that made it sound that Dlinemen in a 3-4 usually don't need to be 1st round picks as they are usually one dimensional run stuffers.

Did I put enough disclaimers in there?

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, we can't blame it on Matt Stevens, so I don't know the answer...

But, our secondary does suck and we need to do something quick...Our offense has proven we can score, but if we can't stop anyone, then we might as well forget about being over .500...

16. Rockets34Legend

They got burned badly in OT by Marcus Robinson - Twice. The 1st one should of killed us, but he dropped it. He figured he'll do it again and our secondary couldn't do anything about it.

17. Rockets34Legend

Well, I would like to revisit this thread. Man, I know Peyton was on fire w/ 5 TDs, but our secondary was crap. Foreman was just lost out there.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

It's the Curse of Matt Stevens! Run for your lives!

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The secondary is an easy out, but there is no Pressure what so ever...This needs to be a big need for us is to get us a dominant pass rusher...

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Lack of pressure on the QB isn't the only problem, but it is the essential problem. Manning could have thrown from a recliner on most plays. A QB of his ability can have a field day without a sustained pass rush and he did. The Texans now have to show that they can take a licking and keep on ticking. They MUST win the next game.