1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I did.

Playoff crowds were fine until they made that change.

It also looks like a pain in the ass to get them on stub hub, and the price floor might still apply

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

when I went to game 1 it was bad. People just wanna chillax and lean back. H-tine style.

The only loud sections were at the end of each basket.

3. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Houstonians in general are nice people. They don't taunt opposing teams due to southern hospitality.

4. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

It has been brought up and discussed. Many club level seats for sale on Flashseats at game time. Just check it out. Also a lot of Club Ticket holders hanging in the club or suites at tip off. Wish there was a way for rockets fans to play The Price is Right, "Come on Down"

cdrive likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

[​IMG] https://i.redd.it/juazm5dgpov01.jpg

Rockets game 2 vs Jazz at tip off. You can clearly see it's not just the lower bowl, the upper bowls are also really empty.

Face it, we just have zero home court advantage and it's a problem that will probably take years to fix.

RudyTBag and DudeWah like this.
  6. NateNate

NateNate Member

I suggested that instead of guessing why it's the way it is that we get some real data on why instead.

Tillman should survey his his club level season ticket holders. Make it mandatory somehow, or too good of an incentive too pass up. Input question that would give us answers to or problems. Make it so you actually have to type the answer and not some multi choice option where someone could fake it. Ask questions like...

How many games do you attend a year out of your season ticket package?
    When you can't attend what do you do with the tickets?
    If you list to resell the tickets do they often go un-used?
    Are you in your seat before tipoff?
    What would prevent you from getting to your seat before tipoff?
    What can we do to make sure you're in your seat on time?
    What would stop you from coming to games?
    What can we do to make sure you make it to the games?
    Did you buy your season tickets specifically for business purposes (ex. work, clients)

Ask these and more and use the data to help solve the problem. The biggest theory I buy into is that the club level tickets are majority corporate seats. I can't really buy into things like traffic, location, the hurricane ect. Find out about the people that buying you're tickets.

xtruroyaltyx and PeterKingX like this.
  7. NateNate

NateNate Member

Excuse the cell phone typos

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Tilman is too busy opening up new seafood restaurants........

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This picture makes me sick.

Mr Chuck Norris and Reeko like this.
  10. Game7

Game7 Member

Best thing you can do is go to games and support. TV doesn't always do the game justice. It's been exciting at every game i've been too, but then again I get caught up in my own antics. In my head, the energy level is high.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I guess you don't remember Baron Davis's days ....!!!

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les did this
    It started in 96 when he screwed the logo and colors
    Then marketing everything to China
    Then making concessions sky high
    Every nba team has gone since went back to the classic look

Tillman has to turn the rockets back to the Houston Rockets

Entropy likes this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Rockets did not have great crowds during the championship days, remember what our players said post game 2 after dropping 0-2 vs Suns in the Semis? Did you hear what Reggie said at half time of game 2, that Houston fans need something to cheer for even during Kenny’s days - which he didn’t deny - and how our team played better and with more energy when the crowd was into it?

My point is that people need to stop spreading and perpetuating this myth that the Summit was rocking during the championship years. I think the WCF vs Jazz when EJ hit that shot and some moments in game 7 vs. Knicks in 94 was definitely loud, but overall it’s not been great. My 2nd point is that it’s very important, home court advantage is a real thing mainly when the fans provide the energy and cheer them on.

A message to all you fans saying they need something to cheer for: please, get over yourselves. It’s not like we quit. If you are quiet in game 6 last year, sure, but there was plenty of reason to cheer. Also if you need good play to cheer, what kind of fan are you? When teams are down they need the fans the most. Harden tried plenty of times to get the crowd involved, but even that didn’t work. And if you talk about needing something to cheer for, where was the energy when Tucker and Harden dunked on Favors? It’s 5 seconds cheering and then white noise.

Rockets should move cities or move fans to the lower bowls. Let’s see if Fertitta gets that or is another money hungry owner like Leslie.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Keep reading.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah it’s embarrassing. When I’m at games I’m standing and yelling at the fans around me to get up to make noise. I just don’t get it.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We H Tine we hol it dine

A lot of the folk at the stadium are casual fans, mainly people who have moved to Houston from other cities. they go to games just for a social outing. grab a beer, some popcorn, maybe a greasy burger or two and relax and watch 3 quarters

Not die hard fans.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Also if you dont go to games you have no right to complain about the atmosphere. You are part of the reason. Attacking the crowd while you're sitting behind a computer screen streaming illegal links LMAO

18. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

I live all the way in Washington State and before this lived in California. I’ve been a Rockets fan since the late 90’s. I’ve converted my wife to be a Rockets fan. One day we plan to go to Houston and watch a home game live, so you can take my observations however you will. From throughout the years ever since the opening of Toyota Center I’ve always noticed a lot of seats are empty when watching on TV. Even when the game is nationally televised or high profile game it seems like the fans are also not too interested in the game unless it is really close and going down the wire. To the people who have attended the games what is the lead up to opening tip? Is there good amount of hype when starting the games? How are the sounds throughout the arena? Are the announcers enthusiastic? Is there good music being played? During breaks is there meaningful entertainment to keep people in their seats? I’ve been to Warrior and Blazers games and one thing I know forsure is their crowd are into the game and they treat it like a major event. They stand up until their teams make their first shot and also get up all the time when their team makes any positive play. It’s just weird to me, someone mentioned earlier only behind the baskets the crowds are good, is it because of the seats that run on the side are too comfortable that it makes people not get up? The crowds make a high impact in the game I cannot recall the last time I can hear the fans through the TV chant defense when the pressure is on. Something needs to change because by the looks of it we really don’t have any type of home court of advantage when playing at home.

#138 fadeawayjae, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  19. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

this has been a problem long time, if we don't solve this, then we don't need home court because we are not going to have an advantage anyway.....

20. Asian Sensation

I have a feeling game 5 will be rocking one way or another.