1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does playoff include 8 from each conference?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sicnarf3, Apr 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sicnarf3

sicnarf3 Member

Why don't they take the 16 teams with the best overall record in the league? It seems unfair that some worse teams than the Rockets in the east get to the playoffs. I say, screw this East West crap and pit the best teams in the playoffs.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, because...uh...BECAUSE!

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

because thats the way its been for years, it allows for an Eastern Conference and Western Conference champion.

it's not that easy to get Yao Ming into the playoffs, but nice try.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

5. choujie

choujie Member

I don't see anything wrong with that. In the end, only Championship matters, not playoff.

6. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

stop posting

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Thank you.
    Something I've been wishing would happen for the past several years.

Though, I've also been hoping they would contract the NBA so there would be only be 25 or 26 teams and each would play each other 3 times.
    You take the 14 best......and there is your playoffs.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I believe the rational behind the NBA's -- and every league's -- division and conference groupings is to promote regional rivalries. I'm not sure why regional rivalries are a good thing though. It makes sense for college, I think, because there are so many teams. But, with only 29 teams and everything televised I don't see why the rivialries would have to be regional. But, I suppose if you want to promote some sort of rivalry, you need to make some teams more of an obstacle than others -- by playing more often in the season and more by making it more likely a particular team will knock you out of the playoffs. So, I guess it kinda makes sense, but isn't ideal.

Overrated, 14 teams? 16 teams makes sense becase it is 2 to the fourth power. With 14 teams, you'll have 7 teams in the second round. Does someone get a bye?

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Top 2 seeds get a bye, while there are 6 games in the first round. 2nd round will have 8 teams in all 6 winners + 2 top seeds...

:confused:

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think a 16-team playoff format is kinda absurd. You play a 82-game season only to eliminate less than half of the field. And teams with losing records should not be in the playoffs. A 12-team or even 10-team format, like the NFL, is more reasonable.

11. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

My bad Juan, didn't really consider that. ;)

Easy does bring up a good point though.....half the league makes the playoffs?
    Not really similar, but it's almost as bad as all these bowl games in college football.