1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does MDA refuse to play the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t s p n, May 9, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

pops specifically told you so ok. youre trying to make this relate back to your thread you started a few days ago. nothing you say is going to mean injuries are that much more preventable based on rotation. its your own way of thinking. its a part of the game and always will be. you want to protect yourself from injury. dont play at all then

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

it doesn't. its this new era of kids that believe in this "rest and minutes era" which is mostly a gimmick. dont enter the game then if youre worried about being injured.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not worried about an 8 man rotation for a few games ... I am worried about it for longer than a week and when we play back to backs.

I'm not worried about the 8 man causing injuries ... I am worried about players getting worn down and not playing as well.

I am worried about tired legs effecting 3 point percentage .

I am worried that this will likely mean Trevor has to play 35+ mpg and PJ plays 32 .

We didn't bring in PJ to be a consistent 32+ minute guy , we all saw what happened to Ariza last year with the grind of heavy minutes ..... We all thought Ariza was done , lost too many steps ..... Well , we see that this year ( with 2 other guys to help him) he looks like a great role player again.

I'm focused only on the playoffs ... And those are a long ways away . We don't have to be resting players now and I'm not worried if our guys get a bit tired during this stretch .

What will infuriate me is if Mike doesn't start resting guys towards the end of the season . And an injury right now is a great opportunity to give a young guy some extra minutes so he's not totally boned when we wanna play him in March/ April

D-rock and 1Deep like this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

@YOLO

one can easily search the internet for articles and data that prove

more minutes = more fatigue
    more fatigue = more injuries

there's a reason why gsw and spurs have a deep bench not because its cool

yeah gsw's "strenght in numbers" is just a catchy phrase

[​IMG]

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

this still doesnt mean you can't tear your acl playing 5 minutes compared to 39. Both can happen regardless which is the point.

so when gordon hayward broke his foot 2 minutes into the 1st game of the season what does that mean? oh too many minutes..

when bogut hurt himself upon checking in for the cavs for the first time what does that mean? he played too many minutes with them...

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm not concerned about injuries from overuse but the fact we don't have anyone developed for emergencies like this because we can't give a few minutes to end of the bench guys when we are blowing out teams.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  7. vlaurelio

don't you believe that more minutes = more fatigue?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

fatigue is being tired. thats a separate topic from injury

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Those who want more playing time for scrubs, please answer these questions:

Are you willing to sacrifice some wins the way Pop does? How important is home court in the playoffs against the Warriors and Spurs?

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

so you agree more minutes results in more fatigue

but refuse to believe that a more fatigued or tired player is not more injury prone

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Morey, give MDA some guys that can play spare minutes. Try to get Troy Daniels and a guy like Tony Allen.

12. vlaurelio

what? Pops is winning inspite of his best player because of his deep rotation.. same with gsw

don't you think they been overachieving with Kawhi out?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont refuse to believe bc that's just reality. you can believe it if you want but there's really no correlation.

every single player takes the risk of being injured when you step our on the floor. A guy can play 1 minute and get seriously injured as we've seen or a guy can play for long periods and maybe not get injured.

so when gordon hayward broke his foot 2 minutes into the 1st game of the season what does that mean? oh too many minutes, tired, fatigued..

when bogut hurt himself upon checking in for the cavs for the first time what does that mean? he played too many minutes with them, tired, fatigued...

14. vlaurelio

you know what the meaning of "small sample size"

what if I prove to you if we take into account all injuires, there are clearly more instances when players are playing more minutes in agame

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can't bc you will just point out specifics for those guys that apply to your agenda. when i could do the same and find guys who get injured barely playing. waste of time imo. again you can believe if you want but the risk comes with playing the game period no matter what. thats my point.

you obviously have to play to get injured. that should be a no brainer to anyone. but the risk if their irregardless

16. vlaurelio

so you believe injury risk is absolute meaning either you get injured or you don't

once you play a game there's a 50-50 chance you get injured

if you play 5 minutes theres a 50-50 chance you get injured

and if you play 40 minutes theres a 50-50 chance you get injured

and injury prone players like Embid and Nene are put in a minutes restriction because of what? they'll be injured once they play right? why even let them play?

interesting

are you a math / logic / or science guy?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nene is on a minutes restriction bc hes old. i see nothing wrong with that at this stage of his carrer. its relative to his situation

you think Embiid is on a minutes restriction. that "restriction" went out the window weeks ago. he just played 40 mins against minny. again, its relative to his situation. if he feels good enough to play hes playing

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Of course.

19. vlaurelio

so Spurs and GSW's deep rotation are helping and not hurting them

20. vlaurelio

I feel like I'm talking to a gradeschooler to explain that more minutes, more distance ran, more shots taken, more workload and effort DOES make risk of injuries higher

are you a flat-earther too?

http://www.sloansportsconference.co...eventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf

3.3 Identifying individual features that contribute to injury events We aimed to find the most relevant features that contribute to the risk of injury in NBA players. To do this, we applied the approach described in Section 2.4, which revealed that the five most important features were, by decreasing order, (1) the average speed at which a player ran during games; (2) the total number of games played; (3) the average distance covered by a player; (4) the average number of minutes played; and (5) the average number of field goals attempted. These results are consistent with the expectation that increased individual workload, as demonstrated by the total number of games played, the average number of minutes played and the average number of field goals attempted, is associated with an increased risk of injury. Similarly, playing style, as demonstrated by the average speed at which a player ran during games and the average distance covered by a player, is also associated with increases risk of injury. These findings support the hypothesis that individual workload and playing style can place additional strain on a player’s body. Finally, it is interesting to note variables that do not significantly contribute to the prediction of injuries, such as the number of back-to-back games and the number of games played during the 14-day aggregation window used in our model. All together these results indicate that total workload and activity, rather than the short-term increase of games played, are much more substantial factors to the overall risk of injury.