1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does MDA refuse to play the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t s p n, May 9, 2017.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

So according to the Chronicle MDA is going with an 8 man rotation in Luc's absence. We already had a pretty short rotation at 9, but you really can't complain because we've been winning. Cutting the rotation down will certainly increase the mins played by Ariza, Harden, and CP3. I think I would much rather give a young guy a chance to show what they can do rather then increase the chances that CP3 gets hurt or Ariza and Harden get run into the ground. Are we playing with fire by cutting the rotation down?

s3ts likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's hope for some blowouts so scrubs can get floor time.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that's how you get other players injured too

D-rock, napalm06 and FanSince93 like this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if any of our dudes get injured tonight, I'm blaming D'antoni and this jinx thread.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

injuries are part of the game, no matter how deep your rotation is.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

either d'Antoni or Morey or both are putting us at a disadvantage against contenders night in and night out

7. vlaurelio

except for spurs who are winning without kawhi

and gsw without 3 of their starters

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody can rest players like Pop can do.

[​IMG]

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah their guys shouldn't be injured bc their rotation runs so deep...

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The only two teams that I see have a 10-man+ rotation is the Spurs and the Warriors. Why do we continually speak of us not having a big enough rotation when the majority of the NBA doesn't go with more than a 9 man rotation either? You stated we had a "short" 9-man rotation, I disagree with you. A 9-man rotation is definitely a legitimate rotation in the NBA. I'm glad that at least we have enough talent that our 8-man rotation can be spread out in minutes. I remember in Mike's Suns days, he played an 8-man rotation, but the 8th man hardly played more than 10 minutes.

It would be nice if Mike would develop the rest of our roster to play maybe Troy or Zhou occasionally, or have them step up to take minutes from whoever gets injured.

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think that proves @YOLO ’s point. Guys get injured on SAS and GSW also even though they have a bigger rotation.

Kawhi, draymond, steph, kyle anderson werent spared from injury just because pop + kerr played more than 8 guys

FANfrom86toNow, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Exactly

13. vlaurelio

even pops believes having a playing deep bench can help avoid injuries and keep players fresh thru the season especially the playoffs

and once injuries arise the deep bench is ready to step up

and gsw, spurs, boston, cavs all have 10 or more players who they trust to play 10 minutes a game night in and night out

and rockets? only 8

spurs & gsw's deep bench >>>>> morey's shallow bench

kerr, pops >>>>> mda

spurs lose their best player? they're ready with their deep bench
    gsw lose their 3 starters? they're ready with their deep bench

rockets lose their 8th guy off the bench? can't do nothing about it 32 year old ariza just have to play more

J.R. and RudyTBag like this.
  14. vlaurelio

Pops already said he rests his guys to avoid injury and keep them fresh

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Outside of the Rockets, clearly the two best teams in the NBA?

Maybe we should consider stealing some of their ideas?

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I hate to criticize my Rockets when we are 22-4, but over the long haul I really, really wish they would adapt to a more long term approach in player development. We want CP3 and Harden to contend for 7-8 more years, not the next 2-3.

Watching all those Thibs ex-Bull players now after getting destroyed and used up on those Bulls teams makes me sick. Keep our players rested and absolutely destroy them when they don't bring 100% effort, especially the young guys.

vlaurelio likes this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be down to playing other players, the fact is that Mike is not going to expand his rotation, and having a 9-man rotation is perfectly acceptable. Minutes for everybody are down this year. I doubt James wants to play less than 33 minutes and Paul less than 30 minutes. The only guy that I do wish his minutes get reduced to thirty is Ariza. I wish Mike would play Mbah a little bit more to reduce Ariza's workload.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

But how is it working out for him? His guys have got injured quite a bit over the years.

Obviously there is always a chance to get injured anytime on the court so less time decreases the chances of getting injured but it doesnt eliminate it.

I dont think playing 38 instead of 32 minutes really causes much more of an increased probability for injury.

A dude can get zaza’d anytime. I remember there was a period of time where manu and tony seemed to get injured every year around playoff time

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Thibs consistently rode those guys to the ground though and played guys much heavier minutes than Mike does. Even Minnesota, he has everyone playing a heavy amount of minutes. The minutes for the Rockets are a lot more spread out this year, especially with the blow outs happening.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I am okay with a 9-man rotation too, I just wish Morey/Mike would find one or two young players that they trust enough to rotate in every now and again. Let Luc Rich and PJ Tucker and Trevor Ariza rest ala Nene every once in a while. We so desperately need those guys healthy and fresh in June.

D-rock and ElPigto like this.