1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does MDA refuse to play the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t s p n, May 9, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Once again....don't disagree with you. I hope he plays next game. But the Rockets choked tonight. Plain and simple. Has little to do with Sam Dekker or Montrezl Harrell not playing. Montrezl isn't even a good matchup for the Spurs.

2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

But one can certainly look forward and make an educated guess that the Rockets will be fatigued in game 6 and probably won't have enough in the tank to win it because of this draining loss.

Stubborn coaches smh

TheFreak and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I think Dekker would've made a difference. Given how tired both teams were I think it would've been worth the risk to put him or Harrell in briefly.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Part of their choke job is attributed to fatigue. That snowballs over the course of the game

5. t s p n

t s p n Member

So you're saying Harrell couldn't do Nene's job for 8 mins in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter? (notice I didn't day 4th quarter)

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Got you, but we can agree that there are plenty of reasons why they choked tonight and it wouldn't be wrong to add the decision not to use Dekker and Harrell off the bench to the list. It's not #1 on the list but it would crack my top 5 list of reasons they lost.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dekker and Trez are alright players man, sometimes they play really well and sometimes they don't. Give them a shot, if it's not working pull them, but we're not winning another game in the playoffs with a 7 man rotation, I know that much.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He should have spelled guys at the end of period.

No reason for Harden to be in on defense with 3 seconds left in the 3rd.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Our players did look completely gassed at the end of regulation. I thought I was watching The Walking Dead for a minute there looking at them on the bench.

10. macan

macan Member

i don't see our young guys any way worse than spurs's young guys...even if just give them 2 to 3 mins, that's enough breather for our shooters

Hakeemtheking and JayGoogle like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

MDA made a judgement call and it almost paid off but backfired. MDA was responsible for the players being tired, and the fatigue factored into the execution. If you play the young guys, maybe you lose in regulation because of the drop in quality. If you put them in in OT, maybe they can't handle the pressure. But one thing I do know is that young players are more likely to respond if you show confidence in them. I wish we would have played Dekker or Harrell for 10 minutes when David Lee was in the game.

bballjunkie likes this.
  12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He played really well in the one regular season game against SA where he actually got minutes. Idk, I'm another who thinks letting Trez/Sam and/or even Bobby collectively absorb 10-12 minutes tonight could have made a big difference.

J Sizzle and pippendagimp like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't get why coaches do this. They are never going to get playoff experience if they never get it. Dekker has played in big moments, hell, dude was drafted because of his play in big moments.

Give him a shot.

macan, pippendagimp and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Playing 7 guys and asking them to play up tempo was STUPID.

dachuda86 likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why not? I would say we would have won if we played guys like Dekker, who can let ours Top players rest. Yes we likely would have won. A 7 man rotation is not a good idea for a high paced offense. What happened to run as one? Where is the trust of the offense? Playing athletic will not hurt us. IT IS OUR ADVANTAGE! AND WE ARE NOT EVEN USING IT.

16. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I know it looks that way, but the fact is he's fast and their bigs haing to chase this fast strong guy up and down the court is going to tire them out. That also allows us to rest our starters. It's really simple. At this point I doubt he has any confidence.

people say they won't guard him but I guarantee you they will when he starts Dunkin on them

you have everyone getting tired playing out of position and guarding bigger guys when playing someone like harrell helps with that

Think of how much he runs the pick and roll and runs up and down from the three-point line to the rim. this wears them out and put them out of position and makes it harder for them to get defensive rebounds and opening up the offensive glass for us

instead they guard Anderson at the three-point line who allows them to rest to get more rebounds and be emergized when they want to post up.

Mike has to tell the young guys go in there and run. Make them chase you

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dekker and Harrell have played in the BIGGEST games in biggest stage in college bball for the title. Its one thing if their talent isnt deemed good enough. But can not say that the playoffs are too "big" for them.

Simmons on the Spurs is an example of what energy and determination can lend. He's looking like Paul George on nimble legs alone. He isnt more talented than Dekker, he's just older and in a well coached system that empowers him. It seems like any guy on Spurs roster is ready to play, undrafted guys and all. That same confidence isnt given to Rockets players.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I think you gotta give harrell at least a couple of minutes just to see if he can do something out there, He is an energy guy and could do something exciting, get a huge offensive rebound, get an and 1, block a guy, thats what he does. If you hold even for those 2 or 3 minutes you gotta call that a win cause it gives other big guys rest.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He doesn't make adjustments; even jalen Rose said so:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/43774/nba-today-jalen-rose-luc-richard-mbah-a-moute

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

James was playing his regular minutes. He stopped playing in crunch time . That wouldn't have changed if Harrell or Dekker were on the court for 10 minutes each.....