1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does MDA hate timeout?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Should Mike call more timeouts in crunch time?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    93.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's going to happen the next time Harden gets trapped and ends up in the same situation? You can't always bail your guys out on timeouts. And it isn't like Harden has never been put in that situation before. He's gotten out of them in the past - why would MDA burn a timeout when your superstar should be able to get out of the situation?

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Mike's trusting his guys but they are showing it's undeserved. Up to him to realize it and handle end of games differently. If he doesn't then he's 100% responsible.

francis 4 prez and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

never forget that harden gave away game 5 with 3 turnovers in a row

francis 4 prez likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you call time out again if you have one

you cant bail them out always but you definitely need to bail them out when you have a timeout and its a last minute of the game and your lead is jeopardy and you already lost a few big leads in the last minute of games recently

yes but many times harden costed us games in such situations for example game 5 vs spurs

because you have the timeout and because of recent history of losing big leads with a minute to go
    [​IMG]

5. rocks123

rocks123 Member

i think its the LA game. i was literally shouting call a damn time out for christ sake. he got two time outs left but he really dont wanna call it till the LAST MINUTE. he also did that in OT. but we won that game and maybe i was just panicking and he really kinda like to call a back to back time out last few seconds in a close game. but i wish he calls a time out when the other team is making a run. these close games are giving me panic attack.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

He has his philosophies - and he's stubborn about them...

'They need to play through it...'

'We're just gonna play our game...'

'I want us to shoot at least 40-50 3's..'

MDA is not a guy that adjusts to the situation at hand as it unfolds...

He makes his plan - and then waits for the results...

PeterKingX and J.R. like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I was thinking this, but if the other coach is competent like Pop or Stevens, then we're pretty much gifting the other team a time out.

:oops:

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ill take the negative with the positive

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

In crunch time? No. Periodically throughout the game when teams are going on huge runs? Yes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I watched a couple Boston games this year in crunch time and Brad Stevens almost always calls a timeout right away when he feels the other team is about to go on a streak. The funny thing is, it doesn't work most of the time because even if you call a t/o and the players don't feel like adjusting, nothing changes.

It wouldn't surprise me if D'antoni thinks calling a t/o is pointless because he can't get through to his players. D'antoni and our players have said coach isn't a confrontational guy, he rarely yells at anyone and just lets them play. This is why you don't see D'antoni calling timeouts until we lose our 20 point leads.

fattz likes this.