1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Harden insist on playing hero ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, Apr 26, 2014.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Hero ball is when Harden refuses to post up Dwight or run a pick and roll with Dwight, and decides that HE is going to score all on his own.

He would rather dance with the ball and score that way because for some reason he has this, "Me against the world" mentality.

As a result you have 4 other guys who are just standing around watching Harden dance with the ball for 20 seconds. The worst is when he decides to pass at the last second of his dance and we now have to hoist up a terrible shot.

I would be fine if he was doing this at the end of the quarters, but he does this all the damn time. In games 1 and 2 he did this early in the first and second quarter, because he was on a mission to prove he could score against anyone one on one. It looks great when he makes it, but when he misses (which is often), you have a stagnant offense and 4 other guys not in rhythm.

It's a selfish mentality that our coaches are trying hard to make him stop doing. If you noticed in game 3 there were a lot less iso's in the first 3 quarters, but he reverted back to his old self in the 4th.

2. mockster

mockster Member

People here are dumb. Harden scored 37 and if he didn't we would of lost. You give it to your star player end of story. Just look at Kobe and mj. I wish harden could make better descions but their opinions were slim. Harden needs the ball in crunch time every time.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It's really pretty simple. We give the ball to Harden at crunch time because he's really good in those situations.

Here's his clutch stats from the season:

Last 5 minutes down by 5 or less
    FG% : 50% 3FG%: 50%

Last 3 minutes down by 5 or less
    FG%: 54% 3FG%: 45.5%

Last 1 minute down by 5 or less
    FG%: 52.9% 3FG%: 50%

Last 30 sec down by 3 or less
    FG%: 66.7% 3FG%: 60%

Last 10 sec down by 3 or less
    FG%: 57.1% 3FG%: 50%

Last 5 min +/- 5 points
    FG%: 43.8% 3FG%: 45.8%

Last 3 min +/- 5 points
    FG%: 46.3% 3FG%: 35.7%

Last 1 min +/- 5 points
    FG%: 44% 3FG%: 50%

Last 30 sec +/- 3 points
    FG%: 54% 3FG%: 60%

Last 10 sec +/- 3 points
    FG%: 50% 3FG%: 50%

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=201935&groupFeedtype=clutch

For comparision, here's KD ,Lebron, CP3 and Steph Curry's clutch stats:

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=201142&groupFeedtype=clutch

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=2544&groupFeedtype=clutch

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=101108&groupFeedtype=clutch

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=201939&groupFeedtype=clutch

Basically, we give the ball to Harden at the end of game because he's been ridiculously good in those situations. If you're lucky enough to have the best clutch player in the game then why wouldn't you give him the ball in those situations?

Take a look at those percentages and then tell me what you would prefer the Rockets to do instead?

We are doing nothing more than going with the highest percentage play. Does it work every time ? No, but nothing does.

The guys been phenomenally clutch this year and now all of a sudden he sucks? Really?

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Shooters especially are very finicky creatures. Harden was getting back into rhythm for Game 3 and will get his shot back eventually.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's not that simple. We need to separate two ideas here.

1. Do we need Harden to play well with the rest of the team to win?
    YES.
    2. After a variety of things built and sustained a small lead throughout the game, do we need Harden to dribble out the shot clock for every possession in the last 4 minutes?
    NO.

6. steady

steady Member

Here is a viewpoint from the Blazers' perspective. I just put it out there for discussion; I know it's a Blazers' article so suspect.

Excerpts from a BlazersEdge article about Game 3:

The Blazers and their fans have more to mourn about this evening than to fear.

You wouldn't have guessed such from the opening minutes of this game, which featured Dwight Howard and Patrick Beverley carving through Portland's defense like a Chopped chef through chickpeas. Houston's inside-outside game was on full display with three-pointers, dunks, layups, and even a couple of free throws. The Rockets built an 11-4 lead, looking pretty scary in the process. For the first time in the series (at least for any extended period) they proved willing to attack Portland's weak points on defense instead of going through their strongest offensive players no matter what. For a little while it didn't seem to matter who shot for Houston as long as they scored. While they kept it up, it worked.

[In the third quarter,] the Rockets ran screens to good effect, played their usual "Three or the Key" style of offense, and managed a 27-23 lead in the period

[In the fourth quarter,] the Rockets, benefited and suffered in equal measure from Harden gaining a head of steam. As the quarter progressed their offense became more isolation-heavy. The excellent screens and team-ball which had foiled the Blazers earlier in the game disappeared under a flurry of Harden dribbles, broken only by somewhat weaker imitations from Jeremy Lin. Harden's presence did put pressure on the Blazers, but they handled it well. Wesley Matthews did a fantastic job staying in front of him and making life difficult. The result was slow, predictable offense capped by misses from Harden...playing right into Portland's hands.

... With Howard free throws and Harden bricks comprising their only offense for the past 4 minutes, the Rockets looked to be in trouble. Isolation ball had wilted their momentum. They weren't even spacing the floor for Harden anymore. Lin stood at incorrect angles, Howard kept his man too close to the lane, everybody stood watching James work for tough misses.

This game did nothing to demonstrate that the Rockets are smart, mature, or aware of their surroundings. If anything they continue to look the opposite when the game matters. They're good. They have a dominant advantage or two. But barring further evidence to the contrary, they seem intent on blundering through this series and seeing where their talent will take them instead of actually knuckling down and winning it.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dumb thread

8. TheJet

TheJet Member

Again, I disagree. You're assuming he's trying to score because he's selfish. Did you consider that he's the best scorer we have? And you're convinced he's "on a mission" to prove he's better and can score vs anyone. That's total conjecture. Maybe he's just trying to hit some shots so that his team can, ya know, win? Maybe he's doing what his coach is instructing? Maybe he's really a robot and has a virus? Seriously though, I see you getting upset over things that you perceive (selfishness, apathy towards his team, etc) but those are just opinions.

How about this: If I know I can rebuild a car engine in a day with minimal mistakes, why would I give my car to someone that may take five days and make more mistakes? Is it selfish that I want my engine to be built correctly and on time? Am I playing hero mechanic? Just an example. We need a TEAM of good mechanics that compliment each other. But when the chips are down and something needs to be done, you give the job to the best performer.

Once again I'm not defending Harden's flaws. I just think you are convinced he's a selfish chucker that doesn't give a damn about winning. And that's why I disagree.

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

Thanks for the stats. This speaks volumes. And no, it doesn't mean it always has to be the Harden show. But when it comes down to a single possession or two and you need a bucket, letting him create is our best option, even when he doesn't end up taking the shot.

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

Harden plays a lot of hero ball because he's so great at it. In the last three minutes of close games, Harden has a TS% of 63.5 and a usage rate of 40%. Those are incredible figures in combination. Lin, with an even better TS% but a much lower usage%, makes a good second option. Check out the stats at the beginning of the following thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=253189

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

In that scenario you're thinking you are the GOAT mechanic, which may or may not be true.

In Harden's scenario he thinks his ISO play is the GOAT option, which is definitely not true. Whenever he takes 5-6 stationary dribbles it's a bad possession, even if he makes the shot.

The best scenario for a championship team is to play as a team, spread the ball, and keep the defense on their toes.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I have read lots of complaints about this and to me, all season, it has looked like something they practice.

Then on a recent podcast, I want to say The Lowe Post, Lowe or his guest were praising Harden as the best in the league at rifling passes to 3 point shooters as the clock is going down the exact second defenders take 1 step away from their man and towards him. Sometimes it may look like a terrible shot, but I think for the most part this is something the team works on and the shots they usualy get aren't bad.

13. edlkf

edlkf Contributing Member

Yes, when you don't have a good coach.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You guys really misunderstand the "pass it off at the last second" move. That is by design and creates good looks often.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Yup very indeed

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

I think we're all pissed because McHale's "read and react (kinda but not really" offense breaks down when the pressure is on. Unlike a set play that a young player has run hundreds of times in the regular season, McHale's offense requires all the players (not just the guy with the ball) to constantly make decisions based on how the defense is reacting.

The offense is too complicated. the players "read the defense" differently and so it looks as though they're bumbling around getting in each other's way. They waste time setting weak picks that don't get anyone free, don't cause a favorable switch, don't do a god damned thing. After 12 seconds of this crap whoever has the ball gives it to harden and backs away.

I don't like harden dribbling the clock out and jacking up a contested, step back jumper. But with Howard getting hacked every time he touches the ball and the rest of the team being confused on how to move within the offense - Harden at the 3 pt line with everyone else spread out is what you're going to get in the last 5 minutes.

X's and O's man and i'm not talking tic-tac-toe.

17. davidghall

davidghall Member

The guy is clearly out of shape. That's just something we're going to have to live with. The thing I don't understand is why McHale plays him that many minutes when he's out of shape.

If I were McHale I would tell James that he's not going to play any more than 30/35 minutes per game until he gets in better shape. At least that way Harden would be fresh while he's out there.

Last night he was dog tired in the 4th and overtime and was essentially a negative player.

18. jayland

jayland Member

Would you rather have Lin take the clutch shots after he showed last night he can even make a wide open layup when the game is on the line?

[​IMG]

19. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

If the coach would tell him to run a play he would run it, but he's not...

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he was selfish plain and simple.