1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Harden insist on playing hero ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, Apr 26, 2014.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yep. This team reminds me of the francis-mobley led teams. The situational basketball was bad and that's why they traded for mcgrady. Harden is a shot maker,but a sub par decision maker.

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I definitely agree with you here.

For some reason, 5-man team ball just doesn't seem to work in the last 2 minutes. Be it from less fouls called, resulting in tighter D on screens and such, or the opposing coach keying in on those plays before they can be made coming off of timeouts. I really don't know what causes it...but I do know everybody was b****ing just the same when we didn't have a "closer" to run last minute plays through. Even with a slick, team oriented offense like Adelman's.

Harden iso plays aren't working now, but they have been for the better part of the season.

Ideally, in the last couple minutes, you would run a two-man set with your 2 best players. But Howard isn't gonna get any calls in that situation, and he's less effective when he's being hacked than Harden is in hero mode.

Maybe run some guard-guard action with Harden and Lin? Or, do what they've been doing for the last two years and give Harden a high pick and let the rest fall in place.

These iso plays people complain about are mostly happening when that last option breaks down and there's 10 seconds or less on the clock. What's a better option at that point?

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Iso-Harden appears to be go to play in the current offensive system down the stretch. Rox down the stretch looked bad and lost on offense like they have all series in crucial offensive possessions. The game winning shot was a fortunate possession. Its great Rox won anyway but still didn't like what I saw down the stretch and still don't trust this system the team is running on offense out there.

4. yummyhawtsauce

It's not about not having options. Harden had plenty. But he would rather take an ill advised shot than run a play to give himself a more open shot or a teammate. For the first 3 qtrs, team ball was happening. Then in the 4th he sort of reverted back to his old ways a bit.

Overall, I'm happy about the win, and about Harden's effort to play tonight. Just less iso that's all.

5. TheJet

TheJet Member

The 1-4 spacing ISO isn't something we see a lot of during the games. Primarily at the end of quarters, etc. Pretty sure that's coaching. Again, I'm not saying it's the perfect option, but I don't agree with all the hate and claiming that Harden almost "cost us the game". We wouldn't have even been IN the game without his play, right?

6. rocketseagles07

I love how you guys know what harden wants. He's so selfish yet he led the league in assists for 2 guards. Mchale needs to call a damn play besides harden iso. Like the poster a couple posts above said harden needs to have the ball in his hands at the end of the game but HIS DECISIONS need to be better and faster. We've seen this teams offense w/out harden, thats really what you want???? Lol

7. rocketseagles07

Oh and I'm much more concerned about harden letting 2 players BLOW BY HIM w/ no defensive effot then I am w/ his late game isos

8. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Water is wet. Sky is blue. McHale can't coach. Harden ISO. What's new?

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Exactly, no discipline and lack of accountability is what defines this team, why would you expect anyone to do anything different in the playoffs if you've accepted this the last 84 games.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

McHale saying the ball is too sticky equals him calling for Harden iso plays apparently

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

See, this is something I can agree with. James doesn't always make the best decisions but it's not like he's some selfish chucker.

12. Blast_Off

Blast_Off Member

Yep. This "Harden ISO" and "hero ball" stuff is just ridiculous.

McHale almost never calls any set plays to get Harden or anyone else moving or open. The play they have run over and over again is for Harden to P&R with Lin to cause a switch, and usually Harden ends up with the ball at the top of the key with Lin's man on him. Then everyone spreads out and stands still while Harden tries to make a play.

You think that's Harden's play call?!!? He's trying to make a play out of what McHale has called. There are some of those where he should just pass it earlier, but no one else is moving or running any kind of play, everyone is afraid of Dwight's FT%, and Lin is pretty much the only other guy who can create a shot for himself with the clock running down, but he's so inconsistent who knows what you'll get. McHale needs to get more creative and call some different plays to create some movement and get guys open.

13. Dreamshake_34

Dreamshake_34 Member

At least dream draws double team causing open shots. Hardens last-second resort pass to a teammate is unacceptable.

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Harden should do less iso BUT WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS. WE JUST WON A PLAYOFF GAME. GET A FREAKEN LIFE INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT HARDEN

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Harden has Kobe's mentality where he must put his imprint on the game in any way possible. For him, that's iso'ing and trying to score. He needs to learn that basketball is easier than that. He has 4 teammates for a reason.

16. TheJet

TheJet Member

Thank you. I only replied to the OP because it annoyed me that he's bashing our best player after a heart stopping win. I can't stand that stuff.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Couldn't agree more. He single handedly destroyed whatever rhythm we had going in the fourth.

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Its not a bash. Its the truth. There was a play in the fourth where Dwight went to set a screen, and Harden wouldn't take it. Dwight was practically begging him to take the screen. Don't get me wrong. The Harden isolation is a great option, but it shouldn't be our first option against a set defense. If you get some movement in the offense, you 'un-set' the defense, and once the defense is 'un-set' every option is more effective, including the Harden isolation. Harden is our guy, but he needs to grow up in that regard. The entire team does for that matter. We had trouble getting stops at the end of the game because Portland had player movement, and made the right passes (and our defense just isn't that great). We didn't do the same, and while, in my opinion, we do have more talent on our roster, our offensive and defensive schemes aren't great, and that's where we've been exposed thus far in the playoffs.

19. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

And for all the people who don't know anything about basketball and think we are close to a legitimate team:

Running and gunning doesn't work in the playoffs
    People actually guard 3's in the playoffs
    You actually have to play half court offense and defense in the playoffs
    You actually have to play 1-1 defense and keep your man in front of you in the playoffs
    If you play $hitty D all year you can't "turn it on" in the playoffs
    You have to go to the post early and often in the playoffs

My personal Fav: If you try to play completely different in game 1 of the playoffs then the first 82 games then you'll probably lose the series.. you Fing idiots.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I'm not bashing him... I'm calling it how it is. I'm passionate because we could easily be up 2-1 or 3-0 if Harden would just play SMART. Stop taking those damn heat checks and stop putting all the pressure on yourself.