1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you really want Dwight Howard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 6, 2012.

?

Why do you really want Howard???

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Superstar presence in the City!

81.7%
  2. Easy to associate him as a name!

13.6%
  3. I don't know why

15.7%
  4. Just to have more National Televised Games

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. knappy328

knappy328 Member

He can sign a new contract for an extra year at a higher base and higher increases - the extension is for a year less and lower increases.

It means guaranteed money in the 5th year if he were to get hurt and more $ overall.

I think I have that right, but someone please feel free to correct me.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Where is the "I don't want that ****ing cancer on my team" option???

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the answer.

4. thekad

thekad Member

re: extension vs. re-signing, Dwight has said he will not sign an extension for any team; there's no reason for him to. He has said, through the media, that there is no chance he will resign with Houston.

People are refusing to think. They'll just parrot the same illogical "money on the table" shtick until Dwight ends up where he wants to go, ie not Houston.

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

this.
    chance of d12 staying in houston is just as good as the chance of our rookies becoming superstars.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Easy, I will Rep'd you when I get a chance to get to .my notebook. Folks are really starting to rationalize to the point that they want to hear from Howard himself that he does not want to come to Houston or they won't believe what his camp is saying. The concept of agency escapes many here.

7. knappy328

knappy328 Member

Possibly, bluffing on Houston yes. He is doing everything he can in his power to get to LA now and finish the season in LA so he is threatening to walk from any team other than LA - he is trying to force his way to LA. He is not bluffing that he wants to be in LA over Houston.

However, he can't force his way to LA - it can only happen by trade - same in NY.

If Howard signs with Houston and Houston has his bird rights - he can leave money on the table and walk to Dallas, Atanta or Cleveland - none are that more attractive than Houston - just a preference, but I think they are all similar. He would be giving up a lot of money to walk to one of those teams - if Houston has him this year he can still only get to LA or NY via trade.

So, yes to some extent he is bluffing - does that mean he won't walk - no, he might walk, but I think it is less than 50/50 he walks. Right now if he wants to get to LA he had better say he won't sign for Houston - he prefers the bright lights and excitement of LA over Houston and he also wants the dollars.

If Dwight could walk to LA or NY for a max deal next year then I think the risk for Houston would be very, very real, but when he can only walk to other teams it is not as exciting and it costs him money. And, if he plays a season with the Houston team he'll get close to the guys.

Can he walk, absolutely, will he - I don't think so - I think Houston has better than 50/50 chance he stays, because where he can walk is limited. My guess is that it is better than 8o/20 he stays in Houston, but that is me just inferring and using a best guess with some logic behind it.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

knappy, I hear you. But your logic applies to Orlando too. Orlando could have NOT tried to trade him and called his bluff. He then had to either walk to those less attractive teams at the end of the season or re-sign with Orlando for more money. Or Orlando could still S&T him then, just like what people say Houston could do if Howard decided not to re-sign with the Rockets.

The only way the argument makes sense is that Houston is clearly more attractive than Orlando to Howard. But to me, that's all conjecture.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The argument applies to Orlando as well, but they have shown to be unwilling to risk losing Dwight for nothing. I can't think of a team that has refused to do a sign and trade with a player. Houston seems more willing to take this type of risk.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

No matter what other so called sources are saying about Dwight not wanting to re-sign with Houston and all, i'd still take the gamble. Tired of being mediocre for more than a decade now.

I'm not buying the "He leaves Houston and signs with Dallas" bs. For a lesser contract? Do they have Deron? How old is Dirk? Heck, it's basically the same Texas teams and he'd be leaving a ton of money to sign with em instead. Not buying it.

I love that we acquired Jeremy Lin. He is going to be huge for the franchise. Now, next move is to gamble on Dwight. He's the best center in the league for crying out loud.

Once Dwight gets the feel for the Chinese-Taiwanese and other global market he and Lin will bring to this franchise and become headline in the all-star game this coming season right here in Houston, all the chips fall together and he will inevitably re-up with the Rockets and let Morey do his thing which is surrounding both him and Lin with a championship contending roster. Book it.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So from the arguments I've seen so far, Orlando and Houston have about the same chances of re-signing Howard.

(One may argue that Houston has a slightly better chance due to (1) the Lin signing -- the so-called China connection, and (2) Howard has openly feuded with Orlando, and not so with Houston.)

Basically, it comes down to, Orlando doesn't think it's worth the risk of Howard walking. Houston thinks it's worth it.

12. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

That was meant to be sarcastic, right? I hope so....Cause Clyde retired witht the following numbers:

Percentages and Per Game Numbers
    Season G MPG FG% FT% 3P% Fouls DQ REB APG SPG BPG TO PPG
    1997-98 70 35.33 42.68 80.06 31.74 193 0 4.94 5.46 1.80 0.60 2.70 18.39

13. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

I don't want him at all, big picture, I would think his coming here and signing with someone else would cost us whatever we trade to get him and leave the perception that no one wants to sign here.

14. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

I think we are putting to many eggs in a basket with with major holes in it and a busted handle....

(Sorry for the second post, hit reply to quickly.)

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

How do I put this? I'm not sure, ha.

I think there may be something to the point of him walking or not walking away.

If he wasn't going to walk away from the money and this is all bluffing, why aren't more teams in the chase? Why aren't more teams, mainly like OKC & LAC, not willing to roll the dice or take a chance?

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Bc both teams feel like they con contend as is and don't necessarily need to take the 'risk'.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Their owners are sane.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

So he leaves Houston and millions of dollars to sign with which team and why?

Forget all the big market teams (LA's,NY's,CHI,MIA) by the way since they are all capped out.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Imagine if we traded for Dwight, and then next summer he changes his mind again and decides that an under-the-cap Orlando team, freed of its worst contracts and armed with our best trade assets, is his best free agent option. :eek:

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The Chance for the potential core to become something more is no greater than Dwight Howard leaving but the chance for Houston to get a high lottery pick and that pick to become a star is much greater than Dwight Howard staying.