1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you really want Dwight Howard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 6, 2012.

?

Why do you really want Howard???

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Superstar presence in the City!

81.7%
  2. Easy to associate him as a name!

13.6%
  3. I don't know why

15.7%
  4. Just to have more National Televised Games

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Dwight and his agent are trying to troll us. I think there's a good chance if he gets traded here we'll have a shot at keeping him. Only thing is though I also think there's a good chance he's going to walk, who knows though. Maybe one of the pitches for him to stay would be Hakeem offering Dwight free once a year training to work on his post game.

2. supa

supa Contributing Member

There is risk involved with trading with Howard and I have no doubt that he does not want to be here right now. But the odds of any of our 3 rookies becoming a superstar, or all 3 of them becoming good enough to duplicate the Pistons championship team is lower than the odds of Howard staying.

3. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

He didn't want to be in Orlando either, but he didn't pass up 30 million to walk to Brooklyn.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The problem with trading for Howard is that you are gambling at least one to two years of your future rebuilding on him 'maybe' staying when the Rockets offer him a new contract.

He said, he wanted out of Orlando because they weren't built to win a championship, but by trading for him, you are most likely giving up one or two of your more promising players and future draft picks, to get Howard and one or two of the players he knows are capable of helping get him a championship but have been given contracts for a few more years. Why would he sign in for working with guys he probably doesn't like and may not like him at this point?

I'd rather we start the building process this year, then give a throw away year to Howard and start over with a locker room that has been contaminated by bitter Howard and some other Orlando vet.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm just checking; my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Do you mean when he opted in rather than get traded for a half-season? 'Cause Morey reaaally screwed up his grand scheme at last trade deadline. (Which makes me think just how much fire is behind the smoke of Morey wanting to trade for him, great young players be damned.)

Certainly he wouldn't just "walk" into an MLE-ish deal, so I know you don't mean that, obviously.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really wish people would stop throwing that "one of the top players in the league" crap around. Without a ring, none of that means anything. You are embarrassing Howard every time you bring that up. How is it that he is so good and doesn't have a championship? Because he can't lead a team to one, thats why.
    What he can do is make a team a lot of money. That is all that ownership is worried about.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Because he is the 3rd most valuable player in the League. Hands down. Nobody but Lebron and Durant make more of a difference to the game than Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

So Lebron wasn't one of the best players in the world until this year? So Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard and Chris Paul aren't top players in the league? It's not Dwight's fault that Orlando wasted their time with him by handing out ridiculous contracts and hoping it was good enough.

postbadlee strikes again!

1 person likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

That guy is a troll. Why people keep responding to him or bother with him, I'll never know. Leave the troll alone!

1 person likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True. Still he was not able to lead a team to a championship. That speaks volumes, whether you want to believe it or not.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How many superstars were with Dirk when he won his championship? How many superstars were with Jordan when he won his championships?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nah. I just see things without superstar colored glasses on.

13. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

How many decent players did Dwight have when he took em to the finals?

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

How come Dirk never won a championship until he had a legit Center paired up with him? Dwight is another tier above Tyson Chandler. If you can't see that, then there's no hope for you. I bet you thought Hakeem wasn't a star either, cause he didn't lead a team to a championship til he was in his 30's. Oh, and Michael had another top 50 player of all time.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No doubt about that.
    All you can argue is his weakness... the offensive side... he'll give you close to 20 but his offensive game aint pretty.

16. knappy328

knappy328 Member

Why I think Houston would trade for him with Howard saying he'll walk to Dallas.

I think Morey thinks he can keep Dwight - Dwight cannot force his way to LA and he is trying to get to LA so that LA has his bird rights - he needs to get there now to max out his deal and also to max out his endorsements.

If Dwight doesn't get to LA - if his posturing doesn't deter Houston then it is a completely different scenario next year. He can walk to Dallas, Atlanta or Cleveland - he can't walk to LA.

He gives up money by walking and Atlanta and Dallas are not going to change the endorsement deals much. LA is a much bigger market - more than twice the size of Houston - Atlanta and Dallas are maybe 10% - 15% or so bigger than Houston - not that big a difference - especially when you throw in the Chineese market.

You also have the Olajuwan relationship.

Howard saying he won't stay in Houston is purely a play to try to get to LA this year. He wants to get to LA this year and is trying to discourage Houston from making a legitimate offer.

Now Howard could walk, but like people have said he takes another rap on his reputation and he continues the drama and there is a part of him that doesn't want to go to LA - Houston having his bird rights is incentive for Fegan and Dwight to stay in Houston and marketing opportunities in China are another reason to keep Dwight in Houston, etc.

So, I think it is highly likely that Dwight stays in Houston if traded there, but he is trying to go to LA first.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only reason Howard is not in Orlando's long term plan is because he said he didn't want to be there. What team wouldn't have Howard in their long term plan if he wanted to play for them?

Maybe I am dumb. What's the difference between re-signing a new contract after the season and signing an extension?

And what's the difference between asking a team to trade him and saying that he doesn't want to play for a team?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So in short, when he said he didn't want to play for Orlando, he's for real. When he said he didn't want to play for Houston, he's only bluffing?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

According to Clutchfans, it shouldn't matter because, he's the 3rd best player in the league.
    Look, i know why you all want him here. If things were different, i would want him here. Now is just not a good time.
    Iknow why Howard doesn't want to come here now. He wanted a team built around him yesterday. Dallas built that team yesterday. LA built that team yesterday. Brooklyn built that team yesterday. The Rockets won't be able to do it until the day after tomorrow.
    This is why he will not be traded here or if he is he will not resign. Because tomorrow(not the day after tomorrow)the Lakers, Mavs and Nets will still have those teams built to his liking.
    Also, this garbage about him leaving all of these millions and gazillions of dollars here if he doesn't resign, stop it. Get over it, please. Howard is going to make a lot of money where ever he is. It is just too many other ways for him to double that amount. Endorsements, etc.
    Guys, we are all Rockets fans. As much as i want us all to be happy, i just don't believe this is the way.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The question was about superstars. Sorry, didn't mean to set you up like that.