1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do you leave a tip?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What about tipping for takeout? I tend to get takeout weekly from a handful of places, so I always tip them about 15%. What are others thoughts on tipping for a to-go order? Do you tip, and how much?

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.
    grown-ups (cheap bastards notwithstanding) order what they want, drink what they want, share what they want, and share the bill.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I never tip takeout. I'm already paying for the service of them cooking my food.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I generally don't tip on take-out orders, might drop $1 but that's about it. Kind of the same thought process as do you tip on fast food? I tip for service not for food. Same reason I won't give someone waiting on me a bad tip if the food didn't come out great.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I tip a dollar and change. Most people don't tip take out.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I take that back. One place I tip that is "take out" is a local donut shop. They have the best donut ever made, and I get mostly that one kind. When I go I'm and they don't have them, I tell them I'll come back another day. Having that certain kind usually gets them a dollar and change tip.

Just a small tip, but I feel they are making it worth my while.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Tipping in restaurants is a good system to ensure quality service. If you don't believe me, try going to Australia or France sometime and report back.

Other tipping situations have gotten out of control recently, though. Like checking bags on the curb at the airport, having bellmen bring bags to your room, pool hosts in Vegas, etc. That's where it not only gets confusing as to whom to tip, but also how much and the ever present annoyance of having to carry cash in small denominations with you. I could do without all this tipping. The restaurant tipping makes total sense, though.

8. Anxiety Trooper

Lol... You are starting a bad trend bro.

9. Anxiety Trooper

I take care of the bellman when I got cash in hand. These guys can give you a lot of good info on the city you're visiting.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Only weird quirk I have with tipping is that I tip $1 per drink no matter the price of the drink if it only requires them getting it out of a fridge or filling up a glass. Why should I have to give a $4 tip on a $20 whiskey coke just because they over charge? Conversely, I still give a $1 tip during happy hours for like $1.50 drinks.

11. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Do you tip valets, what is a "good" tip for them?

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Tip=To insure promtness.

14. Anxiety Trooper

Agree.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I only tip delivery guys, and that's usually a dollar or two or to make the math easier.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd do that, except half of my friends are cheap-asses and the other half are really extravagant. Why should I pay for part of my friend's appetizer, when I didn't eat it?

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

agree. i don't mind paying my share if i eat someone else's appetizer. but i shouldn't be expected to. and definitely not when i don't eat it.

splitting bills is nice and all except when you're a beer drinker and some other guy is downing crown and coke.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Depends on the place. If it's a nice place and I want to get valet service then I'll tip. I refuse to tip valet drivers at places that force you to valet. What I mean by that is they block off the whole parking lot forcing you to valet. In those cases screw them.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, I used to care about this kind of thing when I was a broke college student.

Now, I don't really give a crap who orders what. Just split the check by however many people are there and be done with it.

As far as take out goes, I'll usually tip a few bucks but not as much as a server who is dealing with me for an hour or more.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ha, I know. I really don't agree with tipping for take-out, but I do it because I see these people every week, and there is a tip line on the receipt. I know it shouldn't, but I feel like having the tip line there pressures me into feeling like I need to tip. If it was just a one-off place that I'd never get takeout from again, I probably wouldn't tip more than $1.