1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do you leave a tip?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Anxiety Trooper

For the record I tip well. But the entire % thing is bull****. I treat waitstaff with the same respect I treat anyone else. This isn't all about them on an individual basis. Also, the commentary that one should eat at Mcd's if they don't like tipping is just stupid.

2. Anxiety Trooper

Also, why do I need to overly compensate the service industry because others treat them like garbage?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You don't have to. Stay home.

You don't have a right to go out to dinner in a restaurant.

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I tip and tip well for good service. I do this because at one point in life when I was dead-broke and wondering what hell I was going to eat for the next few days, someone tipped me 5 bucks for helping him out. Not a lot, but enough to get me through to payday and enough to make a profound impact on my thinking. Every since then I always tip to the level of service, sometimes over if I'm feeling good.

Spread the wealth when appropriate, folks...it will come back to you in other ways.

1 person likes this.
  5. Burko

Burko Member

Wow, 2.15 an hour???

Over here the minimum wage is over £6, and a waitress will generally get £1 per customer served on average.

They never declare their tips, so its tax free, they make a decent living!

Waitresses take home over £100 in a night on a regular basis, and then get paid at the end of the week as well....

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If it comes to bull**** quota
    people should be tipping their helpdesk staff as well :grin:

I tip more than I use too.
    It is very much service dependent though
    ****ty service gives you a ****ty tip
    I ain't made of money and ain't throwing it away on someone that is treating me like crap.

Rocket River

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I tip well and like most have said you should tip well at a place you frequent. The only thing that really gets on my nerves is when the waiter/waitress scoffs a little when I order water to drink. It is what I prefer most of the time, sorry it doesn't add to the bill total.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A tip isn't a RIGHT either
    Going to a restuarant is neither a right nor a privilege. It is something that any and everyone can do.
    This is not about RIGHTS

ITs about Ettiquette and consideration etc
    When you start talking about RIGHTS . . you moving off track . . . these are not laws

Rocket River

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

if i go to a new place and i don't like the service, i will let them know, and they will satisfy my needs. don't go on yelp and neg rep because your server sucked and you didn't call him/her out. bad reviews really hurt small businesses.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's what I mean. The poster I was replying to seemed a bit entitled to me. The 15% tipping etiquette has been working well for decades so what's the problem? I don't hear wait staff complaining just a couple of cheapskates (not Trooper) asking why they should tip after one night of bad service.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I seriously don't get all of this rage over tipping at a restaurant? Why does this make some so mad? I've really never thought twice about it, it's what I do when I go out to eat, have someone cook and prepare a meal for me and service my needs while there. :confused:

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll usually tip around 20% or more depending on service, I've only stiffed a waiter once for just horrid service. At our local bars we'll alway over tip, usually around 20 bucks on top of the bill,our bills are usually around 30 or 40 bucks.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't get it either. I don't even think about "the system" when I'm out eating. I just tip because it's a nice thing to do. I thought that's what most (normal) people did until I read all the tipping threads on CF.

If you want to rage against the system, pick another more meaningful system to rage against.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No one's raging against the system. If someone who doesn't tip says they aren't because they are raging against the system, that's just them being too big of p*****s to admit they're cheap bastards who shouldn't be eating out in the first place.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . Do you tip the Sonic employee that brings your stuff to the car?
    or is it only those that make the 2.15$

Rocket River

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I rarely eat fast food, but I do love me some Sonic.

I also use the drive through. I don't eat in my car.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yes. I hate that. Especially when it screws everything up. My friends and I will go to a sports bar, and split orders of wings. Which is nice, because then we just divide the bill (plus tip and tax) by 4 or 5 or whatever. But then there's the one guy who screws it up and orders a soft drink or something else, and then gets confused when we can't split up the bill.

Almost as bad as the people that don't understand gratuity.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can understand that
    but
    I get annoyed with the person that busts out the calculator
    and try to figure the cost and tip down to the penny
    then talking about the appetizer they ordered 'for the table'
    but
    want to break it down etc etc

I am not spending 20 minutes trying to figure out the fricking check
    Just split the bill and be done . . .

Rocket River

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Getting paid less than minimum wage is a farce, by the way. If the tips/gratuities do not equal at least minimum wage, the employer is required to pay the difference to bring them to at least minimum wage.

That being said, I usually gun for 18-20%...I only go down to 15% if service was less than expected. This is because I know that dealing with the general American public is awful and I like to make sure they are taken care of. My wife and I tend to eat at only a few places, so it pays off later too.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yea, if you're going to put in the order you pay for it without expecting others to pitch in just because they accepted your offer to have some. some people don't order appetizers for a reason, usually because the meal alone will fill them up or they just don't want to add to the cost of going out.

after rereading my post, i'm not sure whether i'm agreeing or disagreeing with you.:)

#80 macalu, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013