1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we tolerate Muslim intolerance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Maybe the shooting of the red cross vans has to do with their cultural backgrounds where the crusaders are portrayed as worse evils than hitler even.

So, no I dont see how these two are completely different. Yes, the image of a cross now is of peace, etc etc. I know that, you know that, but how in the heck is somone in themiddle east supposed to know that?

even on tv, you rarely see people rocking crosses and stuff, well nowadays maybe in BET and stuff, but the point is that the image of the cross being in the negative light is still stuck in the minds of some people who havnt had any positive experiances from a cross.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that is a very equal equation to make. They were both symbols of groups that attempted genocides. Both intentionally killed women, children, old, and young, in an attempt to rid the earth of a certain group.

Why is that not an equation one would make?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't actually answer all of my questions but it was close enough. I have no idea what you think of as significant time in those other countries. It could mean several week long work trips, it could mean months at a time or years at a time to different people. But there is no point in nitpicking so I won't make an issue of it.

I hope that if you continue to have exposed contact you will eventually learn something from it.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

all that travel and language experiance still doesnt have him with contact with any of the other 4 major continents with all their wonderful culture and differences. :p

5. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

bigtexxx...

Mexico and Germany, in addition to Norway, Italy, Sweden, Belgium and Denmark...

none of those countries happen to be near the Middle East....where most of today's topics seem to circulate around...so it don't mean sh*t.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Aren't you the one that just
    jumped down my throat for associating Germans with the Nazi's
    claiming that it is all over and that the Great Germans should not be
    view through such a lens . . because it was so long ago

THEN
    you are now condemning the Swastika
    which has not done anything to anyone
    in the same amount of time. . .
    In fact has a history of being a good symbol
    before being tarnished and Corrupted by the Germans?

Am I missing something
    If the German's get a bye nowadays
    why can the Swastika not shake it's image as well
    If it is forever tied to Nazi-ism . . why is it wrong to tie
    the Germans as a nation to it?

Rocket River

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Amen....

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Bigtexxx,

Seems like you've traveled/had contact with only Western, Christian-majority states.

Traveling back and forth between Canada and the USA doesn't get me in contact with people of other cultures, or force me to live with people from other cultures. There are certainly differences between the Americans and the Western Europeans, but not significant enough to make a difference; they all share a common culture at some level.

I hope you get to travel and live a bit in China or SE Asia, or maybe even the ME, which I am surprised you haven't since from what I've heard you work in/for the oil industry.

9. tigermission1

Funny, I had no idea that Western countries were occupied by Muslim armies! Could that explain it possibly? :rolleyes:

That alone should tell you what I think of the author's entire argument.

Anyways, as for firing on the REd Cross, it isn't that commonplace, but the mere fact that it might take place is wrong and due to nothing less than ignorance of what that organization stands for, which is nothing but good deeds.

In most Muslim countries, the Red Cross operates locally under the name 'The Red Crescent", so maybe if the Red Cross is going to operate in Muslim-majority countries they should attempt to only operate under the Red Crescent name, for the sake of keeping their staff safe.

Whether or not you understand, people have 'sensibilities' and when they're violated there might be reprocussions, that's just reality.

And if the firing is taking place in countries like Iraq, for ex, then it's completely understandable since that's a country occupied by 'Crusaders and Jews' as far as the local people are concerned, and therefore anything resembling their 'symbols' would be targeted -- heck, the terrorists in Iraq have been targeting mosques and blowing them up like there's no tomorrow

#69 tigermission1, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL - you guys are a tough crowd to please. I guess 7 countries just isn't enough for you. I'll bet SJC has worked in more than me, but the rest of you probably haven't. Funny that Icehouse comes out of the woodwork to bash me. This liberal pile-on technique really makes me laugh. I'm serious, I chuckle when I see you guys pile on - it's a sign of weakness on your part, and I love it!

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Hitler's swastika is not the same as the Indian swastika. They are mirror images and therefore not the same thing. The swastika is an integral part of eastern thinking and religion, from India to Japan, and it means nothing but peace.

No one is stupid for not knowing that, but now no one has an excuse.

One thing I do think is stupid, is people firing on the red cross. Muslims may find the cross offensive, but ya know, you don't see Jews firing at swastika's in Indian restaurants.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I seriously cannot even understand you.

13. tigermission1

You aren't calling me a liberal, are you? :rolleyes:

14. tigermission1

Are Jews occupied by Indians?

Nothing occurs in a vacuum people, let's get some perspective here. It's absolutely wrong, yes, but surely you can see why it might happen given the context.

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Well, you have to admit, Muslims appear to be willing to spill blood a lot quicker then most other religions. I'm not saying Islam is violent, but ya know, there's a lot of evidence against it being the most peaceful religion. Sure, Christianity or any other religion may be no better - but I think there's something to it all about Islamic Intolerence.

I mean, doesn't it seem that any area that becomes heavily populated with Muslim then required a Jihad to remove the infidels? These extremists see Spain as a Muslim country. I'm telling ya though - as someone who's not big on being PC - i really think Muslims don't have a lot to complain about.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That was pretty funny :).

17. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

what is this a contest???...though i win if it is :D do you work in the oil industry??...cause the countries you mentioned don't really have too much oil :D

.......MUSLIMS willing to spill oil...yet Islam is not violent...

what can i say...your an idiot...make up your mind. :D

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Amen = bashing??

No one is "bashing" you? VinceCarter's post just made a lot of sense. The countries that you have visited don't really help your case in this argument.

That's like me saying I have visited 49 states in the US except for Utah, but I can give you a full understanding of Morman life (at least how it is in Utah). It's not that hard to understand.

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

wtf does that mean. Members of the Aryan Nation also claim to be doing their deeds in the name of christianity. Are Christians more racist? Small Christian communities in South America claim that polygamy with children as young as 8 is acceptable. Are Christians polygamists that support forced marriages for children? The Irish Republican Army used to blow **** up all the time in the name of Catholicism and a Catholic state. Should I generalize about them?

Look its stupid to point fingers and generalize about a religion. Religion can be manipulated and be used for good and bad reasons. Islamic Fundamentalists have manipulated Islam and have used it to justify actions that no sane person would consider acceptible, but to make such statements only fuels the nationalism and xenophobia that are partially responsible for this problem.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Too late Brah I already won!