1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we run this play: Sideline Pick and Roll/Pop?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

There is this play that we run a couple times a game. It's usually with Martin. Last night I noticed it was with Lowry and resulted in a turnover that time in the 4th Q. And the play often results in a turnover.

We give it to the guard - and he's usually a foot or two from the sideline (extra defender) - and then he gets doubled while his partner rolls to the rim or pops out for the jumper. To me it seems like a tough play as you are being triple-teamed essentially if u consider the sideline to be a defender.

The play is usually with Martin, who I would say is not a good passer and is weak and lacks the ability to consistently make plays.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Footage would be nice if able to provide. And an explanation would help too!

Seems like a dumb play to me.

2. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

It's supposed to look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goBC-W132LY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BUT NEVER DOES! Anyone know what I'm talking about?

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ya, it's a corner pick and role/pop.

I actually love running that play in pick up ball. It's really effective IF you can avoid getting trapped

4. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Martin always gets trapped! He's not a very skilled passer and very nervous with the ball. Last game, I think we ran in with Lowry in the 4th and it resulted in a game-changing turnover.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ya, you have to avoid getting trapped if you want it to work. Weather that means getting around the traper or threading the needle to the roller.

Steve Nash runs it better than anybody.

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

:grin:I would think Steve Nash runs most things better than anybody.

7. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Given our personnel, I feel it's a bad play to run

8. VBG

VBG Member

It's a lot harder for help to come on a sideline pick and roll

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Would be a great play to run with Gasol

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you get trapped in the corner you are a sitting duck.
    The absolute worst thing to do in professional basketball is to dribble into that corner.

Sure, it might work the first time but that might be the only time.

This would be an applicable play if we had someone taller than 6'11" and quicker than Dalembert. So yes this would be the play to run if we had Pau Gasol on our team. Or Dwight Howard...

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

When you run that play, it becomes a 2 man game.

The post player has to set a good screen and stay their ground long enough to truly disrupt the wing defender and prevent the trap. Scola & Patterson have been very inconsistent with setting a truly effective screen on that play. On top of that, none of the Rockets guards have truly figured out how to split a double team. Lowry does it occasionally, but not enough that it can be expected.

Also, the defense against the trap is the post player making himself very available with a sharp roll to the basket.

I have never felt that Scola is very good at rolling after pick. He can get a open spot for the 15-18 ft jumper, but for this type of PnR, the proper spacing is based on a true roll to the hoop which he doesn't do all that well.

Patterson has not done a good enough job on that PnR to make himself available open to roll. Not sure if that is due to recovering from injury or not. Hill is just not a good a cutting off a PnR in general.

12. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Martin has a propensity to hold onto to the ball too long. There are a lot of times where our PG has created some advantage / space and kicks it to Martin and he holds the ball - allowing the defender to recover. The play would work a lot better with a SG who is not afraid to dribble/pass/make plays like Harden, Ellis, Ginobili, Affalo, etc.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Boston just ran that play in the first quarter, forgot to check the time on it.

14. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

They have the personnel for it

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Its one of the few plays McHale knows.

16. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Do you feel we have the type of personnel to adequately run that play?