1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do we need players from Asia ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by aaaccchhhooo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

ok, first of all..no offense i'm not being racist..i AM asian too..

the NBA had stated that they want Asian fans into the game, i still can't understand why..i mean.. asian only make up 6% of the population, and MAYBE .2% of that 6% might have an interest in basketball..but i doubt it..as in my case..no body in my family likes basketball..sports for all that matters..i like basketball because i grew up here and even play in a high school team...basketball is not for Asian, their game is soccer, but to me..soccer is boring..so anyways..did the NBA think they will make a big profit by luring in players from Asia so Asians can spend money on the NBA..?..i'm sure there's many talented players we have in the states, i still think the NBA should be reserved for Americans not chinese..maybe i'm just hating cuz China is communist and i hate communism..ha ha ha...but oh well.. that just me...

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

if you were in marketing for the NBA wouldn't you want to add one of the fastest growing demographics into a sport that is on the decline?

The answer is yes.

3. AMS_blackwidow

in that case add muslim fans. o wait they already did with hakeem..

4. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

BASKETBALL in decline..where did you get this from ? i don't think basketball is decling it's one of top sports..maybe even the top sports

5. AMS_blackwidow

actually soccer=1
    2. basketball(damn)
    3. baseball.
    4. cricket
    5. football

from wat i last read

amazingly i like all those sports....

6. studogg

Ask David Stern. Basketball's popularity has dropped significantly over the last five to ten years. This is why the NBA has worked so hard to market players.( A point most people think should be left to the players and not the nba) Since Jordan left the league overall attendance has dropped. Also, major networks were not as interested in televising games. This is what ended up creating the new network package. And correct me if I am wrong, but not even the NBA finals this year are on a major network. ABC,CBS,NBC.

of course, this is a basketball forum with basketball junkies so to us it doesn't seem that way, but unfortunately it is.

7. studogg

of course, I am pointing to Jordan's second retirement. His recent journey back in has not held the midas touch that his previous did.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

the NBA is in decline, not basketball. College hoops is still widely popular by the fact that the Final Four sells out in 70,000 seat domed stadiums. Basketball is more popular among youths, because it's easier and cheaper to get involved in that football or baseball. You don't need that many people to get a game started, and basically all you need is a basketball and a hoop. Among adults, football has and probably always will be king...

9. drapg

drapg Member

damn straight! especially if you live in Texas.

"I don't want yo' life!" Dawson to his dad in "Varsity Blues"

10. AMS_blackwidow

amazingly i never did go football crazy.......... and i lived 7 years in houston tx. i dunno y

11. Panda

Panda Member

That's a stupid comment. Chinese have the rights to enjoy good things in lives. You sound like a communist who tries to deprive those rights from them.

12. napster

napster Member

Wow this guy's really dumb.

13. napster

napster Member

.2 of that 6%? I can assure you that even in America, there is a much greater percentage, especially among asian youth, that have a genuine interest in basketball.

Oh and don't forget all those asians...in Asia.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You are one stupid Asian guy.

Basketball is not for Asians? Oh...just not for the Asians living in Asia. :rolleyes: NBA is reserved for Americans and not foreigners? Look in the ****ing mirror moron.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

Why does the NBA need to asian players think about it dude the NBA cut a contract with Chinese TV to broadcast some of Yao's games

It is estimated that of all the games that have been broadcasted there, they have an average of 8.5 million households watching watching games. the U.S. has anaverage of only 2.5 million housholds watching. this was quoted in some article I saw in sportsbusinessnews.com

Now does the NBA need asians, I think the facts tell the story!!!!

16. ym11

ym11 Member

you know nothing and you talk about it since you are born here.
    sure the soccer is hot in asia and especial in china but basketball
    has more population. do talk what you know

17. dn1282

dn1282 Member

What difference does it make? The NBA wants to uphold its claim as the best league in the world, with the best players. So, if a player is talented, it would only naturally make sense for the NBA to go after him. Whether he's white, black, asian or Latino, whatever...only his talent matters.

That's like saying, soccer should be reserved for the brazillians only, because brazil produces the most skilled and talented soccer players.

You are an idiot. Enough said.

18. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

ive got 2 words 4 u

YAO MING !!

19. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

never tell people you are a Asian,never

20. sun12

sun12 Member

It seems that many people with Vietnam origin hate people from China for whatever reasons. There is a professor in Columbia University. He is of vietnam origin. He bashed YM so much when the Rox picked YM. He cursed Rox's management in front of the whole class. Now he just shuts up.