1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Do We Jump Down These Stars Throat When They Dont Live How We Want?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by S.L.A.B.Solider, Jul 18, 2003.

?

Should We Jdge Players Because they made A Mistake

Poll closed Jul 23, 2003.
  1. Yes Because they are on a petistol and should know better

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. No,They make mistakes just like us and we are not GOD to judge

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. He that is without sin let him cast the first stone

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. S.L.A.B.Solider

With the recent charges assect to Kobe Bryant this brings to light a good question that I feel should be stated and talked about.Why do we jump down superstar players throats when we feel they are not living up to our expectations of them?

As Kobe said in his interview with the press "I mourn, I cry and I am human jus like everybody else".On the court they are our greatest dreams come true.They do things that some of without the skills to play want to do.We buy jeserys with their names on the back of them hoping to emulate a brief glimmer of what they preform on the court,field,ice, and diamond.Sometimes with every waking momnet we watch Sportscenter to see the highlights of what they do knowning good and well we have just finished seeing the game not too long ago.They are at times perfect to us and we would never expect them to make silly mistakes that would keep them off of the television screen or out of the local Foot Locker.

Then without warning we see them on tv with thier faces hidden behind a mob of lawyers and cameras in thier face because they either ran a red light or got caught drunk going the wrong way on a one way street(Scootie Pippen in 1999).The next thing you know they arent what we thought them to be.They never where to begin with.

Looking back on Allen Iverson and his situation makes you wonder do we pacify these stars because they are just that stars?Or do we treat them like regular human beings that struggle day to night like everyone else that want to earn a living.Sometimes I don't and then I think to myself I cant put them on a altar as though they are God Almighty.Yes we do tend to think that because they can out prform us in many aspects of the profession in which they get the fame.As k your self this question and try to find a logical answer to it.Did Allen Iverson do what they say he did or did he get away because he was a celberity?It's the same old question recycled over and ove5r again.And we ask it so many times we dont kno what answer we came up with in the first place.Or Ray Lewis and the fiasco in ATL.In my opinion and it is just what it is an opinion.I think he did it and let somebody else take the blame or he either had a dealings in it.But as usual the judical system seems to white wash the crimes of such stars as Lew and Iverson and they go back to what they were before the crimes at hand, only they become more popular than ever from that crime.

Will Kobe bounce back and be as popular as he was before all this confusion?Or will he himself sink into the abyss of what you see today happening with Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose? I wish I had an answer for that question but I dont.What do you think would happend to Micheal Jordan ,the worlds most popular black man to white society, had he gotten a divorce?Who knows.

As I end this little essay of what should happen to stars and should they be babyfied.I leave you with this.None of us have the right to complain at a player because of the mistakes they make.Because we ourselves have been in something like that ourselves.There is no need to condem them because we are not perfect.He who is without sin let him cast the first stone.Spoken by the only PERFECT MAN to walk this earth JESUS CHRIST.So all of us who choose to do these things and jump ship because of what they do,we need to check ourselves and see that we are not human.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Damn dude, whats with the long sig?

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

No entry found for assect.- Dictionary.com

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Hey S.L.A.B.Solider, is english your first, second, or third language?

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Probably more than the sum of grummett's posts for a year.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

English cliff notes, please. :)

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think of sports superstars who are criminals the same way I think of unknown criminals. Of course, Kobe isn't a criminal because he hasn't been convicted yet. I think SLAB is someone who really looks up to sports stars though.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because we worship them when they do live up to these standards. Simply put, they're playing on a bigger stage, where the stakes are higher. Success gets you glory, failure gets you infamy and ridicule.

The only problem I have is with the categorical statement that professional athletes get special treatment, as if wealthy citizens and powerful politicians don't. I think it's veiled resentment against people who have earned more money and accomplished more by their late twenties than most people will in their entire lives.

And it doesn't help that a disproportionate number of them are minorities. I remember a year ago, right after the 2002 NBA Draft, somebody called into Jim Rome's show complaining about "gangsta hoopas." The crux of his well-recieved argument? Literally, the fact that so many of these athletes brought their kids to the draft and were wearing nice suits. Is there anybody in the world other than young black men who could plausibly be thought less of for dressing nicely and raising children? But I digress.

In conclusion, if evidence demonstrates that Kobe raped this girl (which could still happen without proving him guilty) then i think he should rot in Hell. But he won't, in fact if he's convicted he'll get parole and still be **** rich once he gets out. And if he gets acquitted, I'll still watch the Lakers, just like I still watch Tyson fights. So maybe I should rot too.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sports stars are held to this standard because they've reached stardom by being the last man standing, which makes him the best man standing. Fans have a habit of shifting that to other areas outside of sports.

I'm disappointed with Kobe because I just thought he was just some cocky kid who had a chance to back it up. He entered the NBA right after high school so he spent all of his adult life under the camera. They plastered his mug and smile everywhere, and I automatically assumed to know what kind of person he was.

He built up his image and persona and sold it to people with his endorsements and the way he acted in public. With the way our pathetic culture is geared to, yes, he should be held accountable for his actions. The intense scrutiny of his job is part of what he signed up for. When he crossed that line of adultery and assumed that he was famous and powerful enough to cover it up, he knowingly threw away all those millions in endorsements that he spent all those years to maintain.

And should he be convicted of rape, he'd lose millions more and would deserve the scorn of the community.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

S.L.A.B.Solider: I assume you are a newbie from Los Angeles.

Everyone is so concerned about a multi-millionaire athlete who is about to spend millions trashing a 19-year-old girl. Who is speaking for her? -- oops, she can't dribble or shoot that well.

I really don't know which of the two is telling the truth. A judge and jury should decide this. However, I do know that this girl stands little chance against the coming blizzard of slander money.

Although I've had grave misgivings about hotels installing room cameras to catch housekeeping misdeeds, I now hope these surveillance cameras were in that hotel room.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

This might be an interesting question to ask were the issue at hand a social faux pas, or a minor offense like getting caught with a joint. However this is not an example of altered standards...were your next door neighbour to be a sexual offender ( if Kobe is) then I doubt you'd be asking yourself why he can't meet your unrealistic expectations...to not rape a woman is a pretty low bar to set, and if Kobe did it his celebrrity only adds to the profile of his shame, not the degree of it.

If it were, as some assume, a matter of him cheating on his wife, I personally could care less. I don't know the man or his wife, don't know their sexual ehtics, and frankly couldn't care. But this is about sexual assault, and that is a serious crime for anyone, irrespective of status.

12. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

In part, I believe everyone ( or maybe it just me ) is fed up with the 'GANGSTA' image that the players project, with their jailhouse 'Tats', and entourage of 'Gangsta' players, and their flashy cars and their flashy clothes. People are no longer impressed by their millions if they are going to look and act like the neighborhood pimps. This image certainly does not apply to all the players, just enough to tarnish the image. Then if they get caught they run to their high priced lawyers to get off somehow.

By the time their through it will look Kobe was raped by this 19 year girl for the thrill of it and he just couldn't stop her. I have a 19 daughter that was 'date' raped by some vile punk in college last year. Girls do dumb things and get in over their heads, but guys 24 like Kobe ought to be able to control themselves. If she begged him, he should have walked away. If that beatiful wife of his forgives him, she is a better person than I am.

Too much money, Too much free time, and Too little self control.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

We have to judge people. It's the only way to keep order and to keep people moving on the right path. It ok to make a mistake, but you have to pay the consequences, and part of that is being judged. The embarassment he felt will ensure that at the very least he never does it again (let's hope) and that maybe 10 more kids won't cheat on their wives. Judjement is important. It also allows us to reflect upon on our own lives. We may realize from this whole court case that rape is ok. Which is ludicrous. But without judjement we would never have that opportunity to find out.

Now, you get to the point of standards. And I ask you this. Does it hurt more when your father betrays you or when some guy in Kansas betrays you? Two different people yet there is no way you treat that betrayal the same. It's because you hold people to different standards. This is no different. Kobe is held in high esteem by the public even if it's for no good reason at all. So it's only natural that more people feel betrayed. luckily for Kobe, the courtroom tries to remove that standard.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Word to your mother...

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

what the hell is a "petistol".

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

A petite pistol?

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

word that. I know I'm accused of rape all the time.

praise allmighty.

18. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

doesn't this thread starter's name kinda look like mine??...COPYCAT!!:D

19. hooi

hooi Contributing Member

Don't also forget, in this case, Kobe is being paid multiple of millions for his image. If his image is his money maker, he owes it not just to the people buying the products he endorses but also to himself to keep the darn image clean.

In this case, he intentionally failed. This is worse than Moochie signing a fat contract and then dribbling the shot clock out. Much more money and morals are at stake.

Kobe deserves not only the kind of scorn we heap on Moochie, but also the kind of scorn reserved for tall strong males who force themselves onto weak, 19 year old females.

20. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Bad alternatives. :confused:
    I belileve everyone makes mistakes. That doesn´t mean I don´t judge them, or that anything can be shrugged of by saying just that.
    I judge everyone. I try to do it in a fair way, though I do judge people in positions of power (like the rich and famous) harder. Don´t get me wrong here, I´m not a believer in harsh punishment (I think capital punishment is murder), I just believe in everyones right to judge other people. Hmm... to much freedom easily leads to anarchy and the strong forces in society just doing as they whish though.. tough call.