1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the Boston Celtics suck?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCII, May 16, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It doesnt seem like it but the Cavs have 4 All Stars in their starting lineup (Lebron, Ilgauskas, Wally Z, Ben Wallace). Celtics have a Big 3 but if a 3rd guy isnt contributing the matchups after that are a wash.

2. Asian Sensation

This is spoken for the truth. And Sam is just too old now.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if Doc Rivers doesn't play Sam Cassell in Game 7 and then they lose, I'll forever hate the Celtics as much as I hate Utah.

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

exactly. loser + loser + loser = 3 Losers

i think the same goes for tracy, dirk...some guys just cant win. but some guys like horry..are always in at the right place at the right time.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mean it takes a rare skill to make pressure shots and win games and championships?

some people don't think so.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

As much as I dislike Dirk, that guy has lead his team to 1 NBA Finals that included some clutch playoff performances, and to the 2nd round 3 times. I don't think he's a perennial winner but he's not a guy who "just can't win".

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Lack of offensive game???

Rivers is not the good coach for them, look you have KG, Pierce and Allen and you SUCK offensivly...unbelivable

8. Asian Sensation

Unless you win the big one they will all have the label "just can't win." Just ask Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Stockton, Malone etc.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well that's just semantics. You have to admit there are different levels to it. Unfairly, T-Mac gets the 0-7 label and the "just can't win" label when it's more like 0-2 (last year vs the Jazz and the 2-0 lead on the Mavs were series that he and the Rockets should have won imo). Anyhow, yeah, there are different levels and all I was saying is that it's not fair to lump T-Mac into the same level as Dirk because Dirk has been out of the 1st round 3 times and to the Finals once and this was as a team leader. I think T-Mac will break through next year.

10. Asian Sensation

You're right on when you say you can't compare Dirk to the same level as T-mac because you're right he's been deeper in the playoffs. Right now we recognize those "levels" you talk about because they're still in the league. 20 years from now if neither T-mac or Dirk ever win a championship nobody is going to say that Dirk was on a higher level than T-mac because he got further into the playoffs. People will just remember Tmac and Dirk as two great players who never won a ring. Championship or bust!!!

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

KG is your "numbers guy". Your fills-the-stat-sheet-but-can't-do-a-damn-thing-when-the-game-is-on-the-line guy. He's actually played surprisingly well and consistent given the amount of jump shots he takes but you can't count on him down the stretch. He's done his part.

The problem is they need a guy to close out games. That should be Ray Allen's role. What exactly is Ray Allen when he's not hitting shots? He's such a liability out there defending LeBron and shooting 4/19 from 3-pt land for the series. You mean to tell me the Celtics traded for Ray Allen because they felt a looming shortage of soft 6'5" guys that shoot well but play no defense? No, they dealt for Allen to make big shots and play the closer role.

Pierce needs to get to the line more too. He's their best offensive player and one of the best slashers in the league. Getting to the line for him is practically second nature but you sure wouldn't know that by watching this series.

I can't stand this team. They're entirely too cocky and arrogant for a team that's accomplished absolutely nothing and looked this shaky. I'll be rooting for the Cavs to pull off the upset but i'm not holding my breath. These teams have all been so horrible on the road and truth be told: Cleveland is outmatched. The Cavs have been impressive and exceeded everybody's expectations for sure, but I don't know if LeBron can single-handedly beat this team the way he beat Detroit last year.

12. matty101

matty101 Member

i said it from the start, that they would be an amazing regular season team, but once teams figured them out, they would struggle. In playoff basketball, oppositions have time to figure out other teams and Bostons lack of talent outside of the big 3 is being exposed.

In fact, they relate to the rockets a lot. We have the same problem. Not enough creativity and enough guys who can come in and score and create their own shot when needed. Boston has no bench either, just like us.

Bottom line is, their team is nothing outside of the Big 3 and the Big 3 have been figured out and exposed.

Goes to show how well Adelman actually did with this team. He got his guys to go 6 games against, less face it guys, a very good Utah team. Utah had one guy to stop (tmac) and teams facing Boston have 3. Yet Adelman figured out a way to catch Jerry Sloan off guard.

Rivers cant even find a way to catch Woodsen and Brown off guard.

Poor coaching and a poor playoff roster is what is hurting Boston in the playoffs IMO.

13. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

its because they are overrated

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Doc Rivers is, much like the celtics, OVER RATED

i hope thibado gets the bulls job and takes our defense with him, away from boston

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The Celtics are a joke. KG is one of the most overrated players in basketball history.

A Kobe-Lebron finals matchup would be heaven.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think boston is in a very precarious position. LeBron has yet to have a night in the series where he steals a win for his team by himself. Honestly, I think cleveland gets his A + game sunday and wins the series. If rondo doesn't hit those two threes in game 5 the series would have ended last night.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont know if i would go that far.

i dont think your branded for life.

my point was that this is all of their first times being favored for a championship. so they don't know how to play with the target on their back. they don't know how to close out a series or apparently win on the road in the playoffs.

those things can be learned with experience. they just happen not to have enough. or maybe your right and they will always be losers. only time will tell.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

They have been disappointing and it will be an embarassment if Cleveland beats them Sunday. Lack of playoff experience is a big factor, they win at home but can't win on the road with the Hawks/Cavs being energized by the support of their fans. A more seasoned playoff team would have a better chance of winning in the other guys building.

I also think they are also forcing it inside too much, the Cavs have a pretty good interior defense and are stuffing a lot of shots by the Celts. Allen and Pierce are having a terrible series, they need to come up big for game 7 and the Detroit series.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ray Allen cannot shoot with his hands around his throat

Rocket River

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You simply cannot say that as long as Ray Allen is in the NBA

He is a shooter than cannot shoot now . . .

Rocket River