1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the advanced stats like Terrence Jones more than D-Mo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, it's nap time, take your meds and go back to your room. You are clearly cranky.

No one will stop you from having delusions of Jones' competence. Hold on to them as long as you can if that's what you want to do. Just stop throwing a temper tantrum.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What I've gathered from this post:

1) you misread my post in which I said Smith replaced Jones as the starter and the team was better off for it (which happened in the playoffs). Or perhaps you forgot the Jones/Smith thing happened because you were looking so hard for a way to call me an idiot. Either way, apparently you don't want to address that now because you were blatantly wrong
    2) you think McHale is an idiot; or
    3) you think Jones bball IQ is at an idiotic level
    4) you somehow seem to think that McHale thinks Jones is better than D-Mo as of right now, which you have zero shred of evidence to support.

#82 DudeWah, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lols. I make no effort to call Jones better or worse than DMo. You guys do. And then you claim we are the ones overly defending one player vs the other. lols.

Have fun at it.

I just look to the Coach to decide. You don't, because you are smarter than Coach. Right?

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes I recall that as well. I also made no claims to the contrary. That's a nice straw man you built there.

Anyway I do not deal in delusional misinformation unlike you who tried to suggest Smith never replaced Jones as starter. Which btw is still completely false.

5. heypartner

you said this

You are a condescending prick for saying that. And you are now a weasel for trying to weasel out of your condescending prick comment.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's kind of hilarious that Bobby goes so far in the other direction that he literally gets to the point where he gets to describing Jones as if he's some replacement-level scrub.

You'd almost think D-Mo was in law enforcement.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes I did say that. And I stick by it. I think your reading comprehension might be failing you.

Anyway man, as much as we all enjoy your monthly public spectacle of making a fool out of yourself under the influence, you're boring me.

Have a good one.

8. heypartner

Straw man? You clearly don't know what the word means. You brought up the playoffs to say Jones got benched because he wasn't helping, and I said Jones was a major contributor to our Game 6 win.

Please look up the phrase Straw Man before embarrassing yourself like you just did.

And Josh replaced DMo as a starter too, and McHale put Josh on the bench to be a 6th man, and we started jelling.

Then McHale did the same magic in the playoffs...and pricks like you claim that means Jones sucks. When in fact, it means Coach made all the right decisions.

Quit cherry picking facts and just admit McHale knows more than you, and did everything right wrt Jones, DMo and Josh last year.

But you won't, because you think you are smarter than Coach.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do love strawman arguments, but they don't really further a conversation. I'm fully confident that the coach will realize that DMo should start over Jones if healthy. When that happens, don't freak out.

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Playoffs 2014: Jones begins as a starting PF, but midway first round gets kicked out of starting lineup.
    Playoffs 2015: Jones begins as a starting PF, but midway second round gets kicked out of starting lineup.

So far I am loving this thread, helped a lot to fill my ignore list. Added everyone who called Jones consistent. In his best season he'd score 30 then the other game wouldn't score 10. And when he didn't score, he hardly contributed in any other way. DMo on the other hand had no nights off. He had insane stretch for bigger part of the season of nearly perfect games for a non all star.

Also you don't see Jones in si.com top 100. Case closed, but keep defending Jones, my ignore list has no limit.

11. heypartner

Nice try. You saying i'm under the influence when I'm not is the definition of an ad hominem argument. Do you know what that means, you ignorant prick.

Just talk basketball, if you can.

12. heypartner

Do you know what "straw man argument" even means? I don't think you do.

You are using it to say we have to adhere to your argument and not stray from it. That's bull****. I can say the same thing.

If you can't handle me saying that your argument is against what Coach is displaying, then you just can't deal with an argument about sports and follow it.

Anytime, anyone...makes an argument about who should start and shouldn't must be prepared for telling that to the Coach. You aren't, and you incorrectly use the "straw man" argument to deflect arguments that you can't defend effectively.

Go ahead and define the parameters of your argument and declare no one can stray from that.

nice!

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What my actual argument was:

After giving false information claiming that Smith never replaced Jones as the starter you tried portraying my argument as:

When I never even mentioned anything related to what you tried to portray, just that the coach obviously saw enough decencies with Jones to bench him for Smith.

Definition of a straw man:

http://www.dougwalton.ca/papers in pdf/96straw.pdf

Hmm. Idk boo boo. Looks pretty spot on to me.

Actually no. I just pointed out that McHale replaced both of them with Smith at some point. I stated these things in post nĂºmero uno on this topic, if you bothered to read, not look for a (false) reason to call me an idiot, you'd know that. Objectively the team had better results when Smith replaced Jones compared to when he replaced D-Mo. In fact, the team did so poorly when Smith replaced D-Mo that McHale went back to D-Mo as starter. After doing this the team started winning again.

The team never went back to Jones as starter. Because well, they got eliminated. And it's yet to be determined who will be the starter. From previous indications I doubt it's Jones though.

I actually like McHale a lot. And he obviously knows more than I do about basketball. But that has nothing to do with you thinking you're psychic and know the coach's inner thoughts. In reality though, you have no idea who McHale will start at PF. You're just making a weird assumption and constantly citing it as a fact for no reason. That's then complicated by the fact that no one was arguing that point in the first place. It's very obvious McHale will do whatever he thinks is best for the team.

Again, as I said in my original post on this matter, this debate will be 100% determined by the trade deadline this coming season.

Anyway, still boring.

#93 DudeWah, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH.....I'll spell it out to you, I was talking about who should start, you went off on a tangent accusing me of calling the coach an idiot. No one was arguing that the coach was in idiot, so you babbling about that nonsense was arguing with a straw man, because you certainly weren't arguing with me.

I get why you don't want to talk basketball when it comes to this discussion because you know you don't have an actual basketball argument in favor of Jones, but it's gone too far now. Stick to discussing the things that people actually say, or the topic itself.

15. Madclownpacasum

Wish we got Scola. He has a mid range game that Dmo/Tjones dont have

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Markieff!!!

17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

DudeWah, I don't think you can compare the DMo's benching for Smith with TJones' benching for Smith for simple reason being that they happened at very different stages of the season, i.e. the regular season and playoffs, respectively. Would it have happened the same way if they benched TJones in a similar fashion during the regular season? Or was it that Smith's defense was very valuable against a top 2/3 PF in Blake Griffin?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if anyone is trying to be fair, they wouldn't compare the two, with DMo going to the bench for a few games it was a tryout for Smith that he failed. When it comes to benching Jones for Smith in the playoffs it was because Jones was playing so poorly they needed to get someone out there that could hit a 3 or play halfway competent defense.

The PF situation wouldn't be as contentious if people would just be a little more fair and objective about it, but I don't expect anything to change until after one of them are gone.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The advanced stats must weigh the Parsons Pump Fake stat to highly.

1 person likes this.
  20. heypartner

Jones continued to play as many minutes as Josh in the playoffs. Nothing really changed that much. It was more about what Coach thought was best for Josh than anything else.

Josh was obviously a better player last year than both Jones and DMo. Anyone who points to how Coach used Josh as a statement about Jones or DMo has an agenda that the Coach doesn't have.