1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do the advanced stats like Terrence Jones more than D-Mo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 12, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or you could say Jones is the starter because McHale thinks he should be.

Think about it: McHale is probably the best coach in the NBA for DMo to progress under. DMo's game is largely patterned after McHale's.

Until Coach starts DMo over Jones, you will never be able to convince me that DMo is better. He's in a perfect situation to start.

And don't give me anything about "Howard wants Jones to start" business. That's the talk of LOFs.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Really? You think he improved? In what ways?

3. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I couldnt care less about his 3pt shot or stats. You obviously do not remember the games nor the commentary, maybe you just look at box scores. I will take what I heard from former players and coaches + what I saw over your clouded judgement.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Despite one notable rabid anti-Jones poster, it's not just crazy pills. I am personally biased against Jones due to his come-and-go defensive intensity, his lack of interest in boxing-out that leaves his teammates (usually Dwight) in bad situations, and his body language/poise during tough games. Things that don't show up in these stats.

But we've had these conversations a million times and it feels like people just don't read the middling opinions.... only the bipolar ones.

If he can improve on the other side of the floor - he'd be an excellent player, and he can improve, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Motiejunas has made himself the shinier new toy at this point due to his unique skill set and positional soundness on the floor.

If they can both put it together, LOOK OUT.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is very true, it seems you don't care how he plays, you're going to think he did great no matter what.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Let's see who starts this year.

The fact is that Jones was benched last season in favor of an inconsistent wildcard Josh Smith because McHale saw just how bad Jones's defense was, along with a number of other reasons probably. Then the team actually got better after Jones was benched.

McHale benched D-Mo for Smith for all of 5 days (supposedly b/c Morey promised Smith he'd start) and it turned into a disaster. The team got significantly worse and started losing. McHale went back to Motiejunas and we magically started winning again.

There's lots of ways of looking at it.

Anyway this debate will be 100% settled by this trade deadline.

I'm fairly confident D-Mo will be starting, major back issues aside.

1 person likes this.
  7. heypartner

what are you asking me?

I said Coach will pick Jones as the starter, not DMo. Maybe McHale is grooming DMo to be a sixth man like himself. Don't know.

But until Coach starts DMo over Jones, that fact goes beyond any stat you can provide. Stop arguing with the coach. I know you are the personality to think you're smarter than the coach,,,you are a dime a dozen in that way.

but go for it.

8. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Haha keep hating on TJ pal, wasted energy and time. Funny thats all you took from what I said. Thats all I needed, now I see who people are talking about in here as the anti-Jones poster. Tnx ;)

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I suppose I misread what you wrote. Anyway, I figured the discussion would eventually go in this direction given that there is no argument for Jones over DMo.....so you don't even try to make one.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't "hate" Jones, I just don't overrate him like a small but loud segment of the Rockets fanbase do. The fact that you think Jones did well in the playoffs just shows that you are incapable of being objective on the matter. Just another Jones fanatic.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Haha and you are? Objective that is, since you do not seem that smart. Me the only one huh? Go ask hubie brown, reggie miller and them how they think TJ did. By the way, you the one who clearly favours D-Mo. You have an issue, i like and love both players. Enjoy watching TJ start!

13. heypartner

This is so not true.

What world of history are you practicing. Josh started, because he was a starter and we wanted to introduce him that way. And Jones was still injured. Josh started over DMo, not Jones, you idiot.

rewrite history much? you are so lame and foolish to try to talk to me about basketball. Go talk to someone else.

And yeah, I call you an idiot because you are the most condenscending person on this bbs, imso. You dole it out, and you get it back. You idiot.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Oh. I didn't realize intoxicated hp was the one posting today.

My mistake.

Who started the first few games of the clippers series, Jones or Smith?
    Who started the last three?

The version of history I'm referencing is reality. Unfortunately you apparently don't recall that.

Also I didn't say anything condescending at all in that post. So definitely not called for.

You have apparent psychiatric and substance abuse problems that impair your ability to function like a normal human being on this bbs, imo. #bewell

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good god, I have never seen so many agenda driven posters in my life.

16. bmd

bmd Member

This really is an interesting debate.

I think both have their strengths and weaknesses... and I'm not sure who is better.

Right now I give a slight edge to D-Mo. He seems to be more consistent. Jones seems to vary much more game to game.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Last season you had DMo going from a complete scrub to a solid rotational PF in the span of like a few games, and at the same time Jones had a freak injury which kept him out the majority of games.

And then you had Jones playing awful after the lung injury and a mediocre playoff performance while everyone remembers DMo's breakout season before his injury, it's pretty clear why most people here think DMo is better.

18. heypartner

So, you're calling Coach an idiot, too.

You condescending prick.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Small but loud

You're assuming the coach plans on starting Jones, or that he would have had Jones starting last year if DMo hadn't got hurt. Neither are safe assumptions.

20. heypartner

And yet, I realize always that I'm talking to a lessor basketball mind than me wrt you, all the time.

Who started the run in the 3rd quarter to win Game 6! Terrence Jones. Do you want to see Clutch's video and thread about it?

you condescending prick.