1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Texans fans believe that Juice Scruggs is a quality lineman?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by K9Texan, Mar 31, 2024.

1. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

If there was a "miss" in our 23' draft, it was definitely Scruggs. I don't know what management saw in him to use a 2nd round pick on him. He was only a 3rd team All BIG coming out of college. PFF rated him as the 67th best guard for the 23' season. I don't think he's good enough to play in the NFL, whether it's at guard or center.

Incidentally, I'm hoping that we might be able to steal Cooper Bebe in the 4th round.

Your thoughts?

2. conquistador#11

How do you know he is not a quality lineman. Got to see him a full season.
    Thought the pick was different from what you want in the zone but I'm not going to throw out the glass with the juice water.
    Some of the best linemen are afterthoughts in CFB prospect rankings.

#2 conquistador#11, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Why can’t this be posted in the existing Scruggs thread vs a new one? Your posted 3 new threads in the past week or so.

Again it was with one of the last picks of the round vs a high round 2, we wanted our guy.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/2023-nfl-draft-2-62-juice-scruggs-c-g-penn-state.319573/

Pre-draft his key positives were -
    - Has firm anchor, braces and absorbs force without giving up space
    - Initiates contact with solid pad level and tight hands
    - Keeps feet churning through contact, strains to finish and shield
    - Excels on double-teams as post and drive man
    - Offers guard/center flexibility
    - Two-year starter with multiple-run scheme (which fit in line with Texans needs)

He was injured and has upside still, not sure why we would spend a low second last year and a 4th on another center with hopes of drafting a new one this year.

Our fans are so fickle.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Is be worse than Green?

astros123 likes this.
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know anything about his college pedigree or accolades, but from what I saw of him in preseason and then a little in the season when he got healthy, I thought he was fine. Certainly didn't look like he didn't belong there. But for complete transparency I am not a huge offensive line fan so I'm not always paying attention to what they are doing unless it is bad or unless it is good enough to get pointed out by the announcers.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This thread is quite premature. Let's not trash someone who hardly played (and seemed to play fairly well, to be honest, most of the time), in order to prop up a mid round prospect we like.

7. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Any idea why PFF ranked him 67th?

8. Qan

Qan Member

Who cares what PFF ranks him at, they're just another place with whatever data they have. They ranked CJ 13th best QB last year, should we try and look for a better QB?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You have to roll the dice on a guy named Juice Scruggs.

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Don't being jalen into this :)

houstonstime and raining threes like this.
  11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I bet he plays a mean mandolin.

Rashmon likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

First of all, he didn't play much. Second of all, his position got moved when he came back from injury.

PFF isn't a truly reliable metric, but it's cool because it's an easy way to see someone's rank of players. It's an observational metric, and not really based on much else, IIRC. Because of that, I'm sure he got penalized heavily for not playing much, and for being at a different position than the only other film they had on him (preseason).

It's also key to remember that this kid is only 2 or 3 years removed from a catastrophic back injury that almost cost him his career.

To go just by the PFF rankings is probably worse than only looking at box scores, tbh.

When they drafted him, I wasn't super happy. When I found out he went to the same high school as a few of my buddies (same high school as Mark Stepnoski and Bob Sanders), I thought that was cool. When I saw him after his injury, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm hopeful he can be a decent starter, at least, at center or guard.

#12 Two Sandwiches, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  13. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you. I hope that Juice becomes the greatest to ever play the game.

14. raining threes

PFF= LMAO

red5rocket and Qan like this.
  15. raining threes

Plus they've got Patterson.

red5rocket, houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  16. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is that, eventually, we'll regret taking Juice, particularly with a second round pick. However, I hope I'm wrong. Fair enough?

17. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know that there was an existing Juice Scruggs thread.

Do you prefer that I refrain from creating new threads? How many threads will you permit me to post per month, please? Thank you.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Please ignore the snark from some folks here. Many of us know you are new and it's all good.

His reaction does speak well of how there is discipline on this forum about threads. On some online forums, everybody starts a new thread just to make their individual posts stand out. That isn't tolerated here.

In the future, perhaps search before starting a new thread. Quite often year-old threads (or sometimes MUCH older) are resurrected with new information instead of a new thread being started.

#18 A_3PO, Apr 1, 2024
  19. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Makes sense. Thanks.

20. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

One of them was about the "2023 Houston Texans Mini-Movie" that I thought was outstanding and wanted to share here with my fellow fans for their enjoyment. I deleted the link to the video in that thread and edited the title to "Please Delete". I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your positive guidance.

Edit to add that I sent management a PM asking them to delete the "mini-movie" thread and to merge this thread with the previous Juice Scruggs thread. If they do so I'll then only have my Davis Mills thread. I'll see if I can get that deleted too. Thanks.

#20 K9Texan, Apr 1, 2024